2022 6th round pick A is Keaontay Ingram RB

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
OK. I retract my opinion a bit after watching this. Well worth a read and watch.

We picked up Conner for 3rd and 1...
I think this guy is for similar reasons. A big back who helps ensure our QB is never asked to run a sneak.
Whenever I see a 220lb RB from USC I think of Marcus Allen....
One can only hope,lol

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm a Texas fan and I remember the last season before he transferred to USC people would complain every time he got a snap. He honestly wasn't terrible, but I'll be very surprised if he makes the team.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

No idea why the media keeps showing the Texas tape. His USC tape looks a lot better.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

No idea why the media keeps showing the Texas tape. His USC tape looks a lot better.
Definitely here in this highlights he looks good, i like how he change direction and has a good vision, im optimistic he can contribute as rb2/3, then if he can't showing off at camp there are some valuable rbs free agents, like the ex Kansas city rb who has been in Arizona for a visit

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
OK. I retract my opinion a bit after watching this. Well worth a read and watch.

Agreed. Of course it’s EXTREMELY limited highlight tape, but he shows some nice vision, the jump cuts, acceleration through space and power to finish.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dane Brugler had his as a 6th round pick

BACKGROUND: Keaontay (kee-ON-tay) Ingram, who is one of 10 children, was born and raised in East Texas and attended Carthage High. He earned All-District honors as a sophomore running back with 637 rushing yards, 189 receiving yards and nine touchdowns. Ingram earned All-State honors as a junior with 2,244 rushing
yards and 32 touchdowns, averaging 7.0 yards per carry and catching 47 passes for 492 yards and four touchdowns. As a senior, he led Carthage to an undefeated 16-0 record and the 2017 4A Division-I state championship. He was named First Team All-USA with 2,327 rushing yards (9.8 yards per carry) and 37 touchdowns, adding
284 receiving yards and two touchdown grabs. Ingram set the Carthage career record with 76 touchdowns.
A four-star recruit out of high school, Ingram was the No. 6 running back in the 2018 recruiting class and the No. 15 recruit in the state of Texas (top-ranked running back). He collected 30 scholarship offers from heavy hitters like Georgia, Ohio State and USC but wanted to stay in Texas and ultimately committed to Texas over Texas A&M. Ingram led the Longhorns in rushing in 2019, but he battled injuries in 2020, and Bijan Robinson supplanted him as the starter. He entered the transfer portal and resurfaced at USC for the 2021 season, leading the Trojans in rushing. Ingram accepted his invitation to the 2022 East-West Shrine Bowl.

YEAR (GP/GS) CAR YDS AVG TD REC YDS AVG TD NOTES
2018: (13/2) 142 708 5.0 3 27 170 6.3 2 Texas
2019: (13/13) 144 853 5.9 7 29 242 8.3 3 Texas; Led team in rushing
2020: (6/3) 53 250 4.7 1 11 103 9.4 1 Texas; Missed final four games with a high ankle sprain
2021: (10/7) 156 911 5.8 5 22 156 7.1 0 USC; Led team in rushing; Missed two games with a rib injury
Total: (42/25) 495 2,722 5.5 16 89 671 7.5 6

HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 5116 221 31 1/2 9 74 7/8 4.53 2.62 1.53 34 1/2 10’2” - - - (no shuttles or bench press – choice)

PRO DAY 5115 220 31 3/8 8 7/8 76 - - - 33 - 4.44 7.19 23 (stood on Combine runs, broad jump)

STRENGTHS: Tough runner to get on the ground thanks to his compact body and run balance … excellent patience and feel in zone … presses the hole and widens pursuit before sticking his foot in the ground to make sharp cuts … not blocking dependent, and has an eye for escape routes … his natural instincts allow for sudden lane change … quickly attacks space with the hips and lateral footwork to make defenders miss … has the size and lower body strength to develop into more of a power grinder on inside runs … dependable screen target with natural adjustment skills … averaged better than 5.8 yards per carry in his two seasons as a full-time starter … appeared to get stronger later in the 2021 season.

WEAKNESSES: Doesn’t always run with the physicality between the tackles that his size suggests … his vision and decision-making looks great on one play, but then tardy the next … too dependent on east-west bouncing when he doesn’t like what he sees inside … needs a few steps to reach his top speed, which will be tougher to mask vs. NFL pursuit … late to identify the blitz in pass protection and finds himself caught in no-man’s land … missed the final four games of his junior season with a high ankle sprain (November 2020); missed two games as a senior with a rib injury (November 2021).

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at USC, Ingram took over the featured back role with the Trojans in former offensive coordinator Graham Harrell’s scheme. He enjoyed moments of success in Austin for his home state Longhorns, but he transferred after a forgettable 2020 season and reinvented himself as a senior at USC.
Ingram is a patient zone runner with spurts of burst and an instinctive understanding of when to keep it play-side or when to cut it. He runs with the compact power to shred arm tackles, but he needs to use that play strength and awareness to be more reliable as a blocker.

Overall, Ingram needs to play with consistent decision making and be more of a physical finisher, but he runs with terrific balance and cut quickness for his size. He has a decent chance of making an NFL roster if he brings his best version to training camp.

Last edited by a moderator:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about this pick but we needed another RB from the draft and most of the top ones were long gone by the 6th round.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I really like his tape.

Brett Killian listed him on his RB rankings video on YouTube in his second tier. Compares his style to Kareem Hunt, which actually makes some sense.

He definitely looks better in the USC tape running through tackles and picking up extra yards. He was a guy I looked at briefly, but mostly saw his Texas tape and wasn't all that impressed.

Honestly, I think he was a good pick in the later rounds. I like him more than Kyren Williams who the Rams drafted in round 4 who is small and slow.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really like his tape.

Brett Killian listed him on his RB rankings video on YouTube in his second tier. Compares his style to Kareem Hunt, which actually makes some sense.

He definitely looks better in the USC tape running through tackles and picking up extra yards. He was a guy I looked at briefly, but mostly saw his Texas tape and wasn't all that impressed.

Honestly, I think he was a good pick in the later rounds. I like him more than Kyren Williams who the Rams drafted in round 4 who is small and slow.

Kareem Hunt is a name Matt Waldmans mentioned too.

I was impressed by the nuance in his game. His vision and ability to adjust extremely quickly.

He doesn't have a lot of big highlight plays to wow fans but he has a lot of turning 3 yard losses into 2 yard gains or no gains into 5 yards.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I really like his tape.

I’m curious, when you say “tape” does that mean you’ve watched entire games? Good ones and bad? I ask bc typically we only get to see highlights of these guys. This guy’s highlights make him look awesome, but there are reasons that (a) he left Texas; (b) he dropped so far in the draft; and (c) none of the pundits were exactly surprised at where he was he was drafted. So does that mean in runs other those highlights those same jumpcuts were right into defenders or he lost yards consistently? I’m legitimately curious why a guy who looked as good as he did in those highlights goes so late and if there’s anyone on ASFN that has personally watched a poor game of his that can speak to his range of outcomes?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Kareem Hunt is a name Matt Waldmans mentioned too.

I was impressed by the nuance in his game. His vision and ability to adjust extremely quickly.

He doesn't have a lot of big highlight plays to wow fans but he has a lot of turning 3 yard losses into 2 yard gains or no gains into 5 yards.
I was going to say in watching the highlights he always seems to get more yards than look available with each play. Then I remembered these are highlights. What does he look like in other plays?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was going to say in watching the highlights he always seems to get more yards than look available with each play. Then I remembered these are highlights. What does he look like in other plays?

Pretty much the same. The Matt Waldmans link I posted further back is a good read.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Pretty much the same. The Matt Waldmans link I posted further back is a good read.
I read that. I can see some hunt in his game. And I understand his pass pro needs work. But I haven’t seen anything that gives me clarity why he was drafted higher. Body of at USC level too limited compared to Texas body of work?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’m curious, when you say “tape” does that mean you’ve watched entire games? Good ones and bad? I ask bc typically we only get to see highlights of these guys. This guy’s highlights make him look awesome, but there are reasons that (a) he left Texas; (b) he dropped so far in the draft; and (c) none of the pundits were exactly surprised at where he was he was drafted. So does that mean in runs other those highlights those same jumpcuts were right into defenders or he lost yards consistently? I’m legitimately curious why a guy who looked as good as he did in those highlights goes so late and if there’s anyone on ASFN that has personally watched a poor game of his that can speak to his range of outcomes?
I've seen a USC game or two and watch Waldmans break down, as well as watched highlights.

I doubt he becomes the lead back, but there is a slight chance. I think he has a decent shot to at least be a rotation guy. He has better traits than Eno...who is smaller, slower, and has a penchant for taking losses.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I read that. I can see some hunt in his game. And I understand his pass pro needs work. But I haven’t seen anything that gives me clarity why he was drafted higher. Body of at USC level too limited compared to Texas body of work?
I think that his USC tape is where you start to get excited. He changed as a player by dropping some weight and fresh scenery. USC also isn't the run blocking team they once were, and run out of the shotgun often...so it's not like his running style would be hard to project to the Cardinals. I'm pretty certain that's another factor in the Cardinals wanting him, he's run out of Harrell's air raid.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose