Cardinals trade pick #23 for Hollywood Brown

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I just have one question: Considering our needs, why wouldn't we have taken Jermaine Johnson since he was a top 10 pick who fell. Seems like just what you hope for when drafting.
Because a) they might not have been that high on him and b) the trade was agreed to days ago

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Because a) they might not have been that high on him and b) the trade was agreed to days ago
Not to mention you always have to question a guy when he is touted as top 10 and doesn't go in the top 50. There are likely red flags of some sort on a guy like that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is nonsense. Brown had 146 targets last season and 100 the season before that. For comparison, Christian Kirk had 103 targets last season and was more productive than Brown with the same amount of targets (albeit in a different offense).

If Brown represents an upgrade from Kirk, it's only a mild one, in all probability.

We've talked about this before, but I'm 100% sure the lack of motion and moving players around within the formation is a function of Kyler Murray's preferences and not the coaching staff's system. Everyone seems to understand that play action and motion are cheat codes in the NFL, but that level of complexity takes away from the time that Kyler can be playing Fortnite so sorry not sorry.
I mean if fewer catches and fewer yards are now considered “more productive” I’ve given up on logic.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Probably not, because he'll be angling for a new contract, right?

Check out Brown's game logs from last year.

He averaged over 9 targets per game! DHop averaged 6.4 targets per game. Obviously I don't know why Brown was frustrated in the Ravens' offense, but it wasn't because he wasn't seeing the ball often enough.

It's possible that with a dramatically lower target share his rate stats go up some — that's what happened early in his career.
Probably based on route tree and the likelihood that when the ball was thrown his way it was more often in expected passing downs due to the run heavy nature of the offense.

In AZ brown will be one amongst many receiving options rather than one of two, he’ll likely see lesser coverage and have a bit more element of surprise working in his favor as targets won’t be as obvious passing down heavy as they likely were in Baltimore.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agree but I feel like it is more about how they are productive vs the actual productivity.
I watched one of those highlight reels of Hollywood last season, and it was almost criminal how they used a deep threat like him. Lots of short, over the middle, heavily covered throws.

I think if Brown is used the way Kirk was used, he'll be better than Kirk...and he is under contract for two years.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Probably based on route tree and the likelihood that when the ball was thrown his way it was more often in expected passing downs due to the run heavy nature of the offense.

In AZ brown will be one amongst many receiving options rather than one of two, he’ll likely see lesser coverage and have a bit more element of surprise working in his favor as targets won’t be as obvious passing down heavy as they likely were in Baltimore.
The current Cardinals way is to flood the field with a mixture of big targets and fast targets and make teams pick their poison.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I just have one question: Considering our needs, why wouldn't we have taken Jermaine Johnson since he was a top 10 pick who fell. Seems like just what you hope for when drafting.

The trade was agreed to long before pick 23 came around. Hell, it was announced right after Baltimore’s first pick. This was happening regardless of who might fall to 23. Johnson would have been the guy I was far and away rooting to be the pick had this trade not happened.

That being said, Gambo thought Linderbaum would have been the guy at 23, which he probably got from someone in the organization. That pick would have infuriated many on here.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
AVG Depth of target 51st in the league. Wasn't being used as a deep threat. Almost criminal.
Absolutely criminal. Lamar will never be able to maximize a skilled WRs talents. He just can’t make the throws.. he does maximize a guy like Mark Andrews, a TE w a limited route tree.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Absolutely criminal. Lamar will never be able to maximize a skilled WRs talents. He just can’t make the throws.. he does maximize a guy like Mark Andrews, a TE w a limited route tree.
I think it was more design than anything else. Brown had like 145 targets, and only 20 of them were deep throws or something like that. I'd say that number should be closer to 50 on that many targets.

That's why I basically disregard the advanced stats on Hollywood. He wasn't used right whatsoever.