Cardinals trade pick #23 for Hollywood Brown

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But this doesn't answer circumstances at all. Hollywood was the #1 WR in this offense. He won't be with the Cardinals, who have significantly better WR than the Ravens.
Yes, with lower volume the weaknesses in his game are likely to be more pronounced, and his counting stats are unlikely to improve.

If you think that defenses were dedicating extra coverage to any Baltimore player aside from Lamar Jackson the past two seasons, I don't know what to tell you.

Will Brown get better-positioned targets to drop next year? Yes. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get half the targets he did last year.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will Brown get better-positioned targets to drop next year? Yes. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get half the targets he did last year.

If so, will he be equally disgruntled with the Cards as he was with Ravens?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If so, will he be equally disgruntled with the Cards as he was with Ravens?

Probably not, because he'll be angling for a new contract, right?

Check out Brown's game logs from last year.

He averaged over 9 targets per game! DHop averaged 6.4 targets per game. Obviously I don't know why Brown was frustrated in the Ravens' offense, but it wasn't because he wasn't seeing the ball often enough.

It's possible that with a dramatically lower target share his rate stats go up some — that's what happened early in his career.

Dynomite

Veteran
Reaction score
Well in defense of Hollywood the Ravens run the ball so much it's hard to get 1000 yds receiving, especially his first 2 seasons in Baltimore, mostly running plays. They also throw to the TE's more often than not & having a TE as good as Andrews why not? He finally cracked 1000 yds in 2021 but was still 2nd in yds to Andrews. Plus Lamar just isn't that accurate throwing the deeper passes. Brown wasn't what I was hoping for with our pick but he will definitely be unleashed in our offense. If KK screws the offense up with all the weapons we have now then he may wanna rethink being a play caller lol. I'm warming up to the idea of Brown & the potential of our offense with his speed. Now we need an edge rusher, DT & some more help on the OL.
Lets go full Oklahoma and get bonito for the rush and winfrey for DT lol

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This is a really smart trade and most know I am critical of Keim. So many reasons this fits. Added speed to a very slow offense. Cost controlled for two years. If he hits, you are paying him over an older Hopkins anyways. Connection with Murray which is important as we have seen that isn't a given. Veteran so he is a known commodity. Buy low coming from a run first offense with an inaccurate QB. Played outside with Baltimore so that fits a need. Complements the existing offensive weapons. Board was going bad very quickly and was a big risk staying put.

An aggressive move and I generally like an aggressive approach. Still holes to fill but that was going to be the case reagrdless and now we have an extra pick. I like offensive linemen but there should still be options.
Agree.
Would have preferred to get a better pick in return. But even so it was a 4.5 star trade.

We do desperately need a young BIG wr though

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
This is a really smart trade and most know I am critical of Keim. So many reasons this fits. Added speed to a very slow offense. Cost controlled for two years. If he hits, you are paying him over an older Hopkins anyways. Connection with Murray which is important as we have seen that isn't a given. Veteran so he is a known commodity. Buy low coming from a run first offense with an inaccurate QB. Played outside with Baltimore so that fits a need. Complements the existing offensive weapons. Board was going bad very quickly and was a big risk staying put.

An aggressive move and I generally like an aggressive approach. Still holes to fill but that was going to be the case reagrdless and now we have an extra pick. I like offensive linemen but there should still be options.
Agree.
Would have preferred to get a better pick in return. But even so it was a 4.5 star trade.

We do desperately need a young BIG wr though

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I suppose an elephant in the room ? is when do you say enough is enough. We keep spending draft choices on small and/or supposedly fast WRs, but we haven't seen any return on any of them to our satisfaction. How many can you have buried at the bottom of your rotation?

It seems you have to ask, at what point is it better to spend those picks, money, time and energy on other important parts of your team. When is enough enough already? When does our owner or whoever step forward and simply say, "no more WRs for at least a couple years. KK and Murray will have to make do with who we have until all these contracts start coming up for renewal."

I am not voicing any opinion on this, just asking a question to address what seems like an elephant in the room.
There is no point at which you stop trying. You simply change up your evaluation process until you find a method that works.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, with lower volume the weaknesses in his game are likely to be more pronounced, and his counting stats are unlikely to improve.
You've been dissing Brown's advanced stats, but how do you factor in the difference based on QB play?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

...dave

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't think it has as significant an impact on counting stats as 50% more targets does. You make up a lot of the difference in volume. That's why Brown's advanced stats are so unimpressive. I imagine is subjective grades are also bad, or people would be posting PFF stuff for him on here.

If you're someone who wanted the Cards to get Brandin Cooks, you're likely going to love this trade. I'm fine with it; I agree with the analysis that the Cards used their first round pick to get arguably the best receiver available in this draft.

I just think people are getting carried away with how good Brown can and will be in this offense. Especially when you consider that the Cards probably just clapped a ceiling on their 2021 second-round pick.
I agree that stating that Brown is going to put up significantly better stats than Kirk is a little far fetched. They are similar production players who do very different things in my opinion. Those differences are why I like the deal.

I also like that AJ Green can have a more age appropriate role which is why I don't believe that this really caps Rondale Moore who may also slated for a slight role change. Moore and Green at around 50% snaps isn't bad.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In 2021 Marquise Brown was 10th in the NFL in targets and 26th in the NFL in yardage. Just ahead of...

...Christian Kirk (43 fewer targets)

Right.

This isn’t some big upgrade its kind of a lateral move.