Cardinals trade pick #23 for Hollywood Brown

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
very curious to see how Hollywood does with a more traditional down the field QB

he has averaged ~12 yards a recpt for his career -- which is more possession receiver than deep threat. But Balt's passing game wasnt really WR focused or down the field

Reaction score
I like us getting someone who is proven(probably not worth a first round pick but whatever) thats great as long as Kyler doesnt get smashed or if he doesnt give up on plays and go fetal. Do we plan on just cutting the beloved Isabella? Our luck we get nothing for him now. I do have a question though. Who do we have to replace Hopkins when he leaves next year?? He has seen trash WRs get way more money then worth. He will want 130 million minimum next year. We will be left with receivers that are no bigger than 5'9. That is going to be a problem. Kyler will be tallest playmaker on offense next year. Ertz will probably be done after this year his body will shut down again hes overpaid for a guy past the hill. Max williams is arguably better and has made great situational plays for us.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any wide receiver that's 24 years old with 21 TDs, who's going to cost $15m the next 2 years and who just had a 1000 yard season is always going to cost a 1st round pick.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder whether our being stacked at TE (Ertz, Maxx) make Keim and KK more receptive to making Hollywood our speed guy and our TE1 the slot guy.

Traditionally, our passing game would position Hop as our WR1, a 6-4 possession guy as WR2 and a smaller route-guy operating out of the slot. as a WR3 (We don’t have a 6-4 possession WR).

Having two TE’s who can catch frees up our guy in the slot (i.e. Hollywood) to stretch the field deep.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hollywood was probably worth a 3rd. Going in to his final contract year, needs to be paid, barely cracked 1k yards one time.. I like bringing him in, but the price is awful
Well in defense of Hollywood the Ravens run the ball so much it's hard to get 1000 yds receiving, especially his first 2 seasons in Baltimore, mostly running plays. They also throw to the TE's more often than not & having a TE as good as Andrews why not? He finally cracked 1000 yds in 2021 but was still 2nd in yds to Andrews. Plus Lamar just isn't that accurate throwing the deeper passes. Brown wasn't what I was hoping for with our pick but he will definitely be unleashed in our offense. If KK screws the offense up with all the weapons we have now then he may wanna rethink being a play caller lol. I'm warming up to the idea of Brown & the potential of our offense with his speed. Now we need an edge rusher, DT & some more help on the OL.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brown is seen by Murray, we’re told, as the perfect complement to DeAndre Hopkins. Brown gives them speed on the outside, something the Arizona offense desperately needed.

Don’t be shocked if the Cardinals try to trade Isabella during the remainder of the draft. With Brown now on the team, they can finally move on from the former Massachusetts standout. As a senior, he had 102 catches, 1,698 yards, and 13 receiving touchdowns.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brown played 31% in the slot last year. Seems he did ok.

For what it's worth I think AJ Green will play more slot than Brown. Green is a big bodied, contested catch receiver who has lost a little speed. Similar move to what we did with Fitz. His height over the middle will help Kyler.
Not sure AJ is sudden enough. Honestly should just let Hopkins play more in the slot. Not full-time, but way more than he has since being here.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure AJ is sudden enough. Honestly should just let Hopkins play more in the slot. Not full-time, but way more than he has since being here.

They all should rotate more to be honest. I know that's harder for the receiver to learn all the routes and goes against Kliff's philosophy of keeping it simple and practicing the same routes over and over but it's the NFL, not college.

But on Green there are different types of slot. Don't just have to be some agile elite route runner. Green would win by being 6'4" and going up against 5'10" CB's.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They all should rotate more to be honest. I know that's harder for the receiver to learn all the routes and goes against Kliff's philosophy of keeping it simple and practicing the same routes over and over but it's the NFL, not college.

But on Green there are different types of slot. Don't just have to be some agile elite route runner. Green would win by being 6'4" and going up against 5'10" CB's.
Its not the dbs. Its the LB's and we know at his age he's not wanting that contact. I agree using him some. I'd just rotate Hopkins and Hollywood in the slot. Switch it up every series.

AJ was solid on the outside. Just let him work there.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well in defense of Hollywood the Ravens run the ball so much it's hard to get 1000 yds receiving, especially his first 2 seasons in Baltimore, mostly running plays. They also throw to the TE's more often than not & having a TE as good as Andrews why not? He finally cracked 1000 yds in 2021 but was still 2nd in yds to Andrews. Plus Lamar just isn't that accurate throwing the deeper passes. Brown wasn't what I was hoping for with our pick but he will definitely be unleashed in our offense. If KK screws the offense up with all the weapons we have now then he may wanna rethink being a play caller lol. I'm warming up to the idea of Brown & the potential of our offense with his speed. Now we need an edge rusher, DT & some more help on the OL.

This is nonsense. Brown had 146 targets last season and 100 the season before that. For comparison, Christian Kirk had 103 targets last season and was more productive than Brown with the same amount of targets (albeit in a different offense).

If Brown represents an upgrade from Kirk, it's only a mild one, in all probability.

We've talked about this before, but I'm 100% sure the lack of motion and moving players around within the formation is a function of Kyler Murray's preferences and not the coaching staff's system. Everyone seems to understand that play action and motion are cheat codes in the NFL, but that level of complexity takes away from the time that Kyler can be playing Fortnite so sorry not sorry.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Any wide receiver that's 24 years old with 21 TDs, who's going to cost $15m the next 2 years and who just had a 1000 yard season is always going to cost a 1st round pick.
I'm sure he is going to be clamoring for a new contract soon. He isn't going to wait 2 years for a new contract.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure he is going to be clamoring for a new contract soon. He isn't going to wait 2 years for a new contract.

Maybe so, but any new money would kick in after his 5th year option. I'm sure they will work out an extension next offseason but they have the luxury of making sure the move works out first.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is nonsense. Brown had 146 targets last season and 100 the season before that. For comparison, Christian Kirk had 103 targets last season and was more productive than Brown with the same amount of targets (albeit in a different offense).

If Brown represents an upgrade from Kirk, it's only a mild one, in all probability.

We've talked about this before, but I'm 100% sure the lack of motion and moving players around within the formation is a function of Kyler Murray's preferences and not the coaching staff's system. Everyone seems to understand that play action and motion are cheat codes in the NFL, but that level of complexity takes away from the time that Kyler can be playing Fortnite so sorry not sorry.
Well I read on here that Brown didn't have a 1000 yard season until 2021, it took his first 2 seasons to eclipse 1000 yards. They do run the ball a ton & that's hard for any WR stats wise, plus Lamar isn't that accurate down the field with his passing. Brown wasn't what I wanted nor expected but I think he's gonna be a major upgrade over Kirk. He's faster & more durable plus has the familiarity with Kyler & the offense. He's a Cardinal now so I gotta get behind him, time will tell soon enough as to how he pans out. Kirk isn't worth what he got from Jax but good for him. As far as Kyler & how complex of an offense he can run or how he prepares, studies film or what he chooses to do with his personal time...............well, that's been discussed on here many times. That part is what it is, however, I do wish he studied the game like Peyton Manning did but I highly doubt that will ever happen lol.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok technically it's the same value as pick #28.

It's nuts that people don't think that's great value for a proven NFL WR with 1000+ yards last year in the worst passing offense in the league. Who doesn't turn 25 until June and who will cost $15m over the next 2 years.

Something else interesting is that move actually saves us $1 million in cap space this year. His cap hit is $2.1 million and the 23rd pick will be about $3.2 million this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose