Cardinals trade pick #23 for Hollywood Brown

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
Good trade...
Marauise (Hollywood) Brown is a good move for the Cards. The kid is actually Kirk and Isabella combined into one player.
I truly can't understand alot of the hate. In what crazy hater world is trading the 23rd pick for a guy with just 3 years in the NFL (A 1,000 yard reciever) a bad decision SMH... Alot of people posting thought Isabella was going to be a good reciever for the Cards (Guess what, take a look at his height 5"9 lol). Steve Smith Jr. is 5"9 and will definitely be a hall of famer.
The hate for Kyler Murray seems strong on this board lol... Can look at some of the post and seriously sense that they would be happy to trade Kyler Murray and the 23rd pick to Atlanta just to get Josh (The Chosen one) back.
The Cards get a young 1,000 yard reciever and still people on this board complain (He's to short, he gets hurt, he is one player that has to look up to Murray) lol... SMH... By the way... How many yards did D-Hop get last year? (And I really like D-Hop)... But...but... but.. He got hurt SMH... Well guess who got over a thousand yards? The reciever some here are complaining about <sad>.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He got a proven guy vs a rookie, which I am really happy about. I just don't think they got the right value. Word was that he was on the market for weeks.

A late 1st isn't worth much. And we got a 3rd back. Which makes the overall cost about a early 2nd.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a really smart trade and most know I am critical of Keim. So many reasons this fits. Added speed to a very slow offense. Cost controlled for two years. If he hits, you are paying him over an older Hopkins anyways. Connection with Murray which is important as we have seen that isn't a given. Veteran so he is a known commodity. Buy low coming from a run first offense with an inaccurate QB. Played outside with Baltimore so that fits a need. Complements the existing offensive weapons. Board was going bad very quickly and was a big risk staying put.

An aggressive move and I generally like an aggressive approach. Still holes to fill but that was going to be the case reagrdless and now we have an extra pick. I like offensive linemen but there should still be options.

This.

This is a smart trade for all the reason you explained.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been a little back and forth on the trade, but I generally like it.

Pros
-
Adds a much needed speed element to the offense
- Should see much more single coverage across from Nuk.
- Finally gives Kyler a young foundational piece on offense.
- The added third rounder could be useful, potentially in a trade up in the second round.
- Brown has a higher chance of having unlocked potential after playing in such a unique offense.

Cons
- Only cheap for one year
- Seems like a lot to give up considering compensation for other receivers. Amari Cooper only cost a 5th rounder, and he will likely be making less than Brown when Brown signs a new contract.
- 13 drops over the last 2 years is a concern
- Low YAC average for his style, although still better than Kirk, and some of that could have been the Ravens offense.
- Passing on Johnson when Golden is our best pass rusher could come back to bite us.

Overall, I can't complain about getting a young playmaker after complaining about not having enough young playmakers. Brown isn't perfect, but nobody chosen at #23 would be.

13m in year 2 is cheap. It's not 2010.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The value is still a late 1st but it’s nice having another day 2 pick.

ok technically it's the same value as pick #28.

It's nuts that people don't think that's great value for a proven NFL WR with 1000+ yards last year in the worst passing offense in the league. Who doesn't turn 25 until June and who will cost $15m over the next 2 years.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can't fathom what people are mad about here. He is a nuclear deep threat that immediately makes our offense better. Now go oline round 2
Agree with most of what you posted. Our WR group is better this year than last year. But unless there is an OL guy that the team 'loves' I think we have to go Edge in round two. And I should add that besides an OL guy, if there is a BPA who fell through the first round cracks, at a position of need, I'd be happy with that pick also.
ok technically it#s the same value as pick #28.

It's nuts that people don't think that's great value for a proven NFL WR with 1000+ yards last year in the worst passing offense in the league. Who doesn't turn 25 until June and who will cost $15m over the next 2 years.
And to make matters worse, so many don't mention the 21 td's that he's scored. Also, the team has control for two, not one year. It's depressing to read so many ill informed posts. Hate the trade, but at least back up your opinion with facts. I feel like an addict, I know I should stop reading, but I can't, because there are really some great posts (see Brit Card's above).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This board

"We need a WR. Kyler needs more weapons and we need more speed"

"But Keim sucks at drafting WR's. Whoever he picks will be the wrong one"

"Why did we trade our pick for a 24 year old proven WR with 2 years cheap money left?"

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Frank Sanders echoed me and others sentiments that Hollywood Brown isn't a slot WR. His body/hamstrings wont hold up in that role. I hope Kliff moves Hopkins to the slot.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but Amari Cooper, who’s wasayyyy better than Brown, was had by Cleveland for a 5th round pick.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frank Sanders echoed me and others sentiments that Hollywood Brown isn't a slot WR. His body/hamstrings wont hold up in that role. I hope Kliff moves Hopkins to the slot.

Brown played 31% in the slot last year. Seems he did ok.

For what it's worth I think AJ Green will play more slot than Brown. Green is a big bodied, contested catch receiver who has lost a little speed. Similar move to what we did with Fitz. His height over the middle will help Kyler.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What was Keim thinking pairing one of the fastest receivers in the league with elite deep ball tracking with one of the best deep ball passers in the league who already have chemistry?

Makes no sense. Fire Keim.

"He’s one of the best trackers of deep balls that I’ve ever coached," Tee Martin (Ravens WR coach) said. "It’s a natural thing. You saw it in college. I recruited him out of JUCO; he’s always had that ability. I’ve known him for a long time, and he’s always been one of the better deep ball trackers of the ball.”

“I just think with his preparation, I’m the proudest of him with how he’s approaching the professional side of the game during the week," Martin said. "Sundays are a result of during the week, and I think he’s made the best strides of being out early every day, asking for more, [asking] what drill can we do to work on this, and really attacking issues."

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Another boneheaded move by Keim. They need a big receiver so he gets another midget. Even if he plays well this season it's a bad move long term. Rookie contracts are needed for cap control. Keim is a joke.
I don't think it's a bad move; I think it's an excellent move because we desperately needed a deep threat, and we got a proven one relatively cheap. What I think is bad about it is that Keim put us in the position to have this desperate need by whiffing on so many WRs in the past.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it's a bad move; I think it's an excellent move because we desperately needed a deep threat, and we got a proven one relatively cheap. What I think is bad about it is that Keim put us in the position to have this desperate need by whiffing on so many WRs in the past.
Now this makes sense:
1. You give a fair appraisal of the trade.
2. You also get to take a shot at SK.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave