Flight Plan 2022

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You always point out "ifs"... honestly it makes me question whether you've ever followed sports lol.

Every team has "ifs". The vast majority of an 11 win team is coming back...and this is a team that did have significant injuries down the stretch. Before you point that out as an excuse...healthy teams often end up better in the end. The Cardinals lone Super Bowl team was a pretty damn heathy team. It is what it is...it's something that can't be controlled, but it is a predictor of success.
The whole season is "ifs". We had big "ifs" last year and somehow won 11 games.

The strongest argument on Jones isn't how are we going to replace his production -- not really. I think that Gardeck regresses upward some and we'll see more from Devon Kennard. No matter how washed Chandler Jones was looking during the season (and I disagree on this mostly), he was never gonna be benched for Gardeck or Kennard.

The biggest loss that we don't have a planned replacement for is Corey Peters/Jordan Phillips. The place where people should be concerned is the interior of our DL, because neither Fotu nor Lawrence have shown much. To be fair, I also thought this about Zach Allen going into his third season.

I'd love to bring in Star Louteleilei or Suh to add a little more attitude to that interior line.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

The strongest argument on Jones isn't how are we going to replace his production -- not really. I think that Gardeck regresses upward some and we'll see more from Devon Kennard. No matter how washed Chandler Jones was looking during the season (and I disagree on this mostly), he was never gonna be benched for Gardeck or Kennard.

The biggest loss that we don't have a planned replacement for is Corey Peters/Jordan Phillips. The place where people should be concerned is the interior of our DL, because neither Fotu nor Lawrence have shown much. To be fair, I also thought this about Zach Allen going into his third season.

I'd love to bring in Star Louteleilei or Suh to add a little more attitude to that interior line.
Great point on Peters, but he wasn't the player last year that he was in years past.

Like it or not but it looks like the Cardinals aren't going to be chasing free agents like they have in the past and I don't fully blame them. The Cardinals have had their most success with guys on smaller, prove it contracts.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes. This is my point exactly. I'm not saying Chandler Jones was worth what he got from the Raiders but we had no fall back plan. To just re-sign Dogbe and Gardeck and think that solves the problem is ridiculous.
Why didn't we try to re-acquire Hassan Reddick or a similar younger edge rusher? To just do nothing is not the answer.
Sometimes the only good fall back is to go with the guys you have who have produced in the past AND adding guys through the draft.

It's certainly a heck of a lot cheaper than paying older, descending talent.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
As I said, injuries played a part. KM was a big problem, with the injury, lack of toughness, lack of leadership, and inability to win in big games late in the season/especially the playoffs. KK was not calling a good offense. VJ's stubbornness, refusal to play run D, and stubbornness to play a 1st-round pick definitely played a part. Keim's roster construction was a major problem, given the lack of quality depth when the injuries occurred. No one person/player was totally at fault, just like no one excuse like injuries can be blamed. That's so very much the easy out. "We were great, but INJURIES" is lame.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We have more major holes than draft picks; it is simple math.

This doesn't even factor in Keim's pitiful success rate on these draft picks.

You list the so-called 'major' holes and then I'll do the math for you.

And you can't factor in what has yet to play out in this draft.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Why not? I'd argue you can't factor OUT what has yet to play out in this draft. The draft is a total crap shoot and you shouldn't be counting on the draft to plug multiple starting holes.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes. This is my point exactly. I'm not saying Chandler Jones was worth what he got from the Raiders but we had no fall back plan. To just re-sign Dogbe and Gardeck and think that solves the problem is ridiculous.
Why didn't we try to re-acquire Hassan Reddick or a similar younger edge rusher? To just do nothing is not the answer.

What's ridiculous is your premise that the FO believes the problem is solved or to assert that there wasn't any attempt to meet the need in FA, including reaching out to Haasan's agent. You don't know - we don't know. It takes two to tango and as someone who played his college ball in the Philly area, I can see why that may be an attraction to Reddick.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why not? I'd argue you can't factor OUT what has yet to play out in this draft. The draft is a total crap shoot and you shouldn't be counting on the draft to plug multiple starting holes.

Good job there's a crap tonne of FA's still out there then

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Give negative weight to the unknown, if it pleases you.

And we don't have MULTIPLE starting holes.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

BINGO!

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Give negative weight to the unknown, if it pleases you.

And we don't have MULTIPLE starting holes.
Of course we do, how can you say there aren't starting holes. For every starter that was on the roster last season who isn't on the roster now is a hole plain and simple. No one signed in FA has been identified as filling any of these holes and you can't just decide someone who was a backup is now the starter until they prove they can grab hold of that starting position. There is nothing to guarantee that for example Collins is just going to slide into Hicks spot until he proves he belongs there.
Jones
Kirk
Hicks
Edmonds (this one you may be able to argue but still a hole)
Phillips
Alford (until his injury 13 games in)

The only exception is Garcia/Hernandez which is pretty much a even swap and in fact may not even be that as Garcia had the ability to move into any Oline position even if he wasn't that good at it while Hernandez is a guard period.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The hell I can't factor it in.

1. Edge
2. DT
3. UT/NT
4. CB
5. OG
6. WR2

Tell me Obi-Wan, how do you fill these holes with what we have available.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Of course we do, how can you say there aren't starting holes. For every starter that was on the roster last season who isn't on the roster now is a hole plain and simple. No one signed in FA has been identified as filling any of these holes and you can't just decide someone who was a backup is now the starter until they prove they can grab hold of that starting position. There is nothing to guarantee that for example Collins is just going to slide into Hicks spot until he proves he belongs there.
Jones
Kirk
Hicks
Edmonds (this one you may be able to argue but still a hole)
Phillips
Alford (until his injury 13 games in)

The only exception is Garcia/Hernandez which is pretty much a even swap and in fact may not even be that as Garcia had the ability to move into any Oline position even if he wasn't that good at it while Hernandez is a guard period.

The term used was 'starter'. Jones is most certainly the starter that has yet to be adequately replaced, and we definitely need to add to our DL/NT mix with the loss of Phillips. Hicks is replaced by Collins; Kirk by Moore; Alford by Gladney and he may return following the draft and finding competition for the RB-2 role is hardly difficult. WE can expect a host of Draft picks and FA additions to add to the competitive mix.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice try. They are using a rotation because neither player are good enough.

We only have a NT on a 3rd of snaps. Hardly a priority.

It either NT or DT. Can't have both, as any quality NT would slide to DT in nickel.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You get the GOOD mid-level role players--you know, someone who can fill in as a low-end starting edge player, for one--earlier in the process. You don't dig through the misfit toys bin.

Good job there are loads of them available

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The hell I can't factor it in.

1. Edge
2. DT
3. UT/NT
4. CB
5. OG
6. WR2

Tell me Obi-Wan, how do you fill these holes with what we have available.

EDGE: draft
DT/UT/NT: draft or FA
CB: is not a dire need and we can add to the mix through either the draft of FA
OG: is not a dire need and we can add to the mix through either the draft of FA
WR2: Draft or FA

You may want to take a moment to look at the list of FA's still available and take a sober second thought come the end of this weekend.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We only have a NT on a 3rd of snaps. Hardly a priority.

It either NT or DT. Can't have both, as any quality NT would slide to DT in nickel.
Tell that to our run defense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDGE: draft
DT/UT/NT: draft or FA
CB: is not a dire need and we can add to the mix through either the draft of FA
OG: is not a dire need and we can add to the mix through either the draft of FA
WR2: Draft or FA

You may want to take a moment to look at the list of FA's still available and take a sober second thought come the end of this weekend.
Cute.

You seem to have some unfounded/unwarranted faith in Keim. Kudos to you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA