2022 NFL Draft Day #1

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know if you guys wanted a mega thread or a separate thread for each day of the draft?

Anyway here we go....

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Everyone I talk to says their team is thinking WR or Edge. That’s bad news for the Cards. It means the Cards need to stay grounded and take what falls to them. Johnson is looking like the surest thing. I expect WRs to be gobbled up early. I hope the Cards don’t gamble on Karlaftis or Pickens. There’s simply no need to take a risk. I got a kick out of the exec quoted above about this being a crazy draft. I warned early on that no one could agree on which skilled players were the best. So many players look like they could develop, but the smart move to me is to take a surest thing. With all the needs the Cards have, there’s no reason to take a risky stab at a player with a high bust potential. Save that for round 3. They should get a near immediate starter in round 1. They should get a year one contributor in round 2. The Cards have enough talent that they could reach in round 3. I’m really liking even more the idea of Walker in round 2. In 3 if they haven‘t gotten an edge maybe Cameron Thomas. Maybe Justyn Ross if they haven’t locked up a WR. The medicals are a little scary, but that’s the only reason he’s still on the board. A good roll the dice option.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone I talk to says their team is thinking WR or Edge. That’s bad news for the Cards. It means the Cards need to stay grounded and take what falls to them. Johnson is looking like the surest thing. I expect WRs to be gobbled up early. I hope the Cards don’t gamble on Karlaftis or Pickens. There’s simply no need to take a risk. I got a kick out of the exec quoted above about this being a crazy draft. I warned early on that no one could agree on which skilled players were the best. So many players look like they could develop, but the smart move to me is to take a surest thing. With all the needs the Cards have, there’s no reason to take a risky stab at a player with a high bust potential. Save that for round 3. They should get a near immediate starter in round 1. They should get a year one contributor in round 2. The Cards have enough talent that they could reach in round 3. I’m really liking even more the idea of Walker in round 2. In 3 if they haven‘t gotten an edge maybe Cameron Thomas. Maybe Justyn Ross if they haven’t locked up a WR. The medicals are a little scary, but that’s the only reason he’s still on the board. A good roll the dice option.

Harry,

John Gambadoro our local radio personality listed his five top picks that he believes the Cardinals are targeting if they stay at #23. What do you think of these guys. Obviously some of them will be long gone before the Cardinals pick:

Gambo listed his Gambo 5 for the #23 overall pick by the Cardinals as:

Kenyon Green OG
Kaiir Elam CB
Trent McDuffie CB
Jahan Dotson WR
Jordan Davis DL

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Harry,

John Gambadoro our local radio personality listed his five top picks that he believes the Cardinals are targeting if they stay at #23. What do you think of these guys. Obviously some of them will be long gone before the Cardinals pick:

Gambo listed his Gambo 5 for the #23 overall pick by the Cardinals as:

Kenyon Green OG
Kaiir Elam CB
Trent McDuffie CB
Jahan Dotson WR
Jordan Davis DL
Interesting no edge guys.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm struggling to decide what I prefer.

I want Jameson Williams but no way he is there. After that I'm indifferent on WR at #23. I'd be ok with Dotson. I'd be ok with trade back for Pickens. I'd be good with Wyatt or Davis at #23. I'd be good with Zion or Green. If CB then Elam is my preference.

But if he falls as predicted I think Karlaftis is my pick. I think the negativity is crap and he's probably the 3rd best Edge in this class.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Every draft people think there will be an early run on WR's and it rarely happens. And I don't even think this is the best recent WR class.

It's funny how 2019 was probably the best class for WR in the last 5 years yet only 2 went in round 1 and both of them have been poor to average.

Worth baring in mind when thinking the only options for greatness are the 4/5 WR's ranked at the top by analysts.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every draft people think there will be an early run on WR's and it rarely happens. And I don't even think this is the best recent WR class.

It's funny how 2019 was probably the best class for WR in the last 5 years yet only 2 went in round 1 and both of them have been poor to average.

Worth baring in mind when thinking the only options for greatness are the 4/5 WR's ranked at the top by analysts.
I think it’s more about getting what you think is a sure thing. Pierce might turn out to be very good but let’s say Olave is viewed at a sure thing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a good illustration of how the draft rarely works out like the mocks. Especially as you get towards the back of the teens.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think there will be a run on WRs because there is a big need for quite a few teams.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo’s 5 has all the earmarks of Insider Info.

This danger here (assuming we like those picks & I don’t) is that all five will be gone at #23.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think there will be a run on WRs because there is a big need for quite a few teams.

But not every team will see value in round 1. There are some good receivers to be had further back. Most WR classes are deep.

Just had a quick look at the highest paid WR's in the league and only 6 of the top 20 were round 1 picks.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Worth remembering that only once in the last 10 years has the first WR taken been the best WR in the class. That was DJ Moore.

2012: TY Hilton WR13
2013: Hopkins WR2 (at pick #27)
2014: Davante Adams WR9
2015: Stefon Diggs WR20
2016: Mike Thomas WR6
2017: Cooper Kupp WR7
2019: AJ Brown WR4
2020: Jefferson WR5

Last year is too early.

Only 2 are 1st round picks.