Word on the Street

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Olave is a good route runner, his ball tracking and body control are good and he's quick. Smooth is the most common and accurate work for him. My issue is his catching. Watch his highlight tape below. How many of his catches are full extension, or contested, or a tight window. 80% of his catches are body catches with bucket arms. Most of the rest are hands up at head height at best. You just don't get many of these at the NFL level, yet nearly all Olaves catches are like that. He doesn't really have highlight catches, he has highlight plays.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Guys like Dotson have tape full of NFL catches. Dotson's 20th best catch would probably Olaves best. And Dotson always drew CB1 coverage, had garbage at QB and still made plays.

I don't think Olave has ever drawn CB1 coverage.

I might be wrong and Olave has that in his locker but just barely used it. But if I'm drafting I'd be very wary of taking him high. I don't see Olave as an outside guy that's going to take on top CB's and win contested catches at all. His ceiling is probably a very good slot where he can use his speed and route running to get open uncontested.
No college receiver draws quality coverage. They go almost all season facing guys that are, at #5 NFL corners. It's a really silly argument man.

You are finding reasons to not like a HIGHLY productive college receiver from a school that routinely produces some of the best receivers in the NFL.

That smoothness you see is a big time trait. Why is Dotson having to make so many tough catches? Because he doesn't get as open as Olave! He looks a little bit rough, and even with his speed, his routes aren't as crisp.

Guys like Olave are almost a sure thing. Three years of high production. Production from a young age. Olave is a year younger than Dotson, and was productive earlier. That says something.

I would consider Dotson...but I wouldn't be excited about taking him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Being against Olave, but wanting Dotson is hilarious.

Keim probably thinks that way too so it makes sense.

You talk as if every year WR8 doesn't turn out better than WR3. Corey Davis was consensus WR1 in his class over JuJu, Mike Williams, Kupp and Chris Godwin. N'Keal harry was the WR3 in his class. Hakeem Butler was ranked ahead of Deebo and Terry McLaurin.

Let's not pretend that because draft media say he's going to be good that he is.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No college receiver draws quality coverage. They go almost all season facing guys that are, at #5 NFL corners. It's a really silly argument man.

You are finding reasons to not like a HIGHLY productive college receiver from a school that routinely produces some of the best receivers in the NFL.

That smoothness you see is a big time trait. Why is Dotson having to make so many tough catches? Because he doesn't get as open as Olave! He looks a little bit rough, and even with his speed, his routes aren't as crisp.

Guys like Olave are almost a sure thing. Three years of high production. Production from a young age. Olave is a year younger than Dotson, and was productive earlier. That says something.

This has nothing to do with who I want to draft. Jameson Williams is my WR1 and has been since January. That's who I'd like.

I'm simply saying I see more issues with Olave than I do with Dotson. That's just my opinion and it's probably wrong.

But probably more than any position there are no sure things at WR. Or very few at least. Olave isn't one of them. No WR in this class is.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with who I want to draft. Jameson Williams is my WR1 and has been since January. That's who I'd like.

I'm simply saying I see more issues with Olave than I do with Dotson. That's just my opinion and it's probably wrong.

But probably more than any position there are no sure things at WR. Or very few at least. Olave isn't one of them. No WR in this class is.
While this is true, receivers who have three years of solid production starting at a young age are the more sure things.

I like Williams alot, but that's straight up a dude that Olave beat out head-to-head. He had to transfer to get PT.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While this is true, receivers who have three years of solid production starting at a young age are the more sure things.

I like Williams alot, but that's straight up a dude that Olave beat out head-to-head. He had to transfer to get PT.

That doesn't mean anything. Lot's of great players have had to transfer.

It means less than Olave falling in the pecking order and getting over taken every single year he was in Ohio.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That doesn't mean anything. Lot's of great players have had to transfer.
You can say this but it does. Coaches say ample reasons to play Olave and the other receivers over Williams.

Williams had a great season, but his warts do make him a pretty big gamble, but a gamble that could pay off more than Olave if he works out.
It means less than Olave falling in the pecking order and getting over taken every single year he was in Ohio.
Naw CJ Stroud loves throwing to the slot. That slot receiver they brought it was the focal point of their passing game.

It doesn't change Olave's consistent production and consistent improvement. He led the Buckeyes in TDs even.

Wilson is a bit better of a prospect because he has the same consistency and looks a bit more explosive.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

You bring up a great point here. Brian Hartline, the WR coach and a former NFL receiver, is the best WR coach in college. OSU guys come into the league as great route runners while many other WR's have to learn the route tree.
OSU has Smith-Njegba next year, who may be the best of them all, and a stocked pipeline of top notch receivers that are going to be high NFL draft picks and that's mainly because of Hartline.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You bring up a great point here. Brian Hartline, the WR coach and a former NFL receiver, is the best WR coach in college. OSU guys come into the league as great route runners while many other WR's have to learn the route tree.
OSU has Smith-Njegba next year, who may be the best of them all, and a stocked pipeline of top notch receivers that are going to be high NFL draft picks and that's mainly because of Hartline.

Hartline may be.

Yet in the last 10 drafts there have been 9 WR's drafted from OSU. None of them have gone in round 1. Olave would be the 1st round 1 WR out of OSU since Ted Ginn at #9 and Anthony Gonzalez at #32 in 2007. Ginn never had more than 790 yards in 14 seasons and Gonzalez never passed 664.

Of the 9 in the past 10 years McLaurin and Thomas are great. Curtis Samuel is good. The other 6 have been garbage.

In fact apart from McLaurin, Thomas and Santonio Holmes there hasn't been a very good WR from Ohio since we drafted David Boston in 1999. That's 4 in 22 years.

It's hardly WRU.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What if the Cards want to trade up if Kenny Pickett is still available? That would blow Kyler and his agent out of the water. Then he can either play or sit.

Good Joke. Nice one. Got me there for a minute.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How old are the smilies on here? There's one says "Hanson Forever"!

:hanson:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hartline may be.

Yet in the last 10 drafts there have been 9 WR's drafted from OSU. None of them have gone in round 1. Olave would be the 1st round 1 WR out of OSU since Ted Ginn at #9 and Anthony Gonzalez at #32 in 2007. Ginn never had more than 790 yards in 14 seasons and Gonzalez never passed 664.

Of the 9 in the past 10 years McLaurin and Thomas are great. Curtis Samuel is good. The other 6 have been garbage.

In fact apart from McLaurin, Thomas and Santonio Holmes there hasn't been a very good WR from Ohio since we drafted David Boston in 1999. That's 4 in 22 years.

It's hardly WRU.
Im thinking back to even Joey Galloway brother. Cris Carter. Ohio State is easily WRU, like LSU is DBU and USC is LBU (sorry @Stout ).

Certain schools produce talent at certain positions.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Hartline may be.

It's hardly WRU.
Hartline has only been the WR coach since 2018. Including next year, he'll have already coached 4 first round picks in Wilson, Olave, Williams, and Smith-Njegba. Also get ready for Julian Fleming, Marvin Harrison JR., and Emeka Egbuka.

He's also had Parris Campbell(battled injuries constantly) , KJ Hill(believe was cut), and Terry McLaurin(one of the best) drafted.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hartline has only been the WR coach since 2018. Including next year, he'll have already coached 4 first round picks in Wilson, Olave, Williams, and Smith-Njegba. Also get ready for Julian Fleming, Marvin Harrison JR., and Emeka Egbuka.

He's also had Parris Campbell(battled injuries constantly) , KJ Hill(believe was cut), and Terry McLaurin(one of the best) drafted.
Hartline was a pretty decent receiver. Always thought he'd be pretty good in the right situation.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Im thinking back to even Joey Galloway brother. Cris Carter. Ohio State is easily WRU, like LSU is DBU and USC is LBU (sorry @Stout ).

Back in the day, USC was running back U and Penn St was linebacker U...The U was just felon u.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

4 in 22 years and no 1st rounders since 2007 isn't WRU. OSU haven't been WRU for nearly 20 years. From '87 for about 15 years they wore that crown.

LSU have produced far more top class WR's in the past decade. Chase, Jefferson, Chark, OBJ, Landry and a bunch of decent players like LaFell and Gage.

As have Bama. Smith, Waddle, Ruggs, Jeudy, Ridley, Cooper, Julio.

OSU have had 2 first round WR's since 2007. LSU have had 5. Alabama have 7. Clemson 3.

OSU are really nowhere recently. They have as many 1st round receivers as ASU, Baylor and TCU.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I do have questions if Olave will ever be a true #1 Wr. However, as long as DHOP is healthy/still good we'll worry about that some other time.

I admit that I may be getting "Keim'd" into warming up to Dotson > Burks though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I do have questions if Olave will ever be a true #1 Wr. However, as long as DHOP is healthy/still good we'll worry about that some other time.

I admit that I may be getting "Keim'd" into warming up to Dotson > Burks though.
The more I look at Burks, the less I like him.

His type of game doesn't translate well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if the Cards want to trade up if Kenny Pickett is still available? That would blow Kyler and his agent out of the water. Then he can either play or sit.
You think fans are angry with the Cards/Kyler now? Imagine trading up and drafting a 1st round QB 3 times in 5 years. If that happens without a trade first, I'd be totally out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, Keim has a long habit of saying what he means.

If the player they want is available, they are going to trade up.
Yup. Keim doesn't know how to bluff. He either keeps his mouth shut, or tells you the strategy for all to see/hear.