Pelicans @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread 4-26-2022 - Game 5

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is speculation that CP3 is hurting but the Suns nor Paul will admit it. With Booker being out and if CP3 is not 100%? This teams margin for error is almost zero. Which means you have to pull out all the stops. We are a .500 playoff team with the current plan and lineups. Do I think we can win 2 of the next 3? Absolutely. The only problem? I feel like the Pelicans have a chance to do that as well which I wouldn't have said going in the series.

Try someone...anyone other than Payne. Play the twin towers. I mean it won't take long to see if it's having any impact. To me doing the same and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. I just hope Monty takes some risks because if we lose tomorrow night? I think the Suns might be done.

Monty has to try the Payne-Holiday backcourt off the bench along with some Landry Shamet.

Also they need to put someone quicker on Ingram like a guard and then bring the double team.

Suns are suffering from a case of being undersized at the forward position. They have to attack the basket offensively and defensively with abandon to establish that part of their game.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's now a three game series and two of them are at home.

This is why getting home court advantage in the playoffs is so important.
Home court did not help much in game 2.

I actually think homecourt is almost worthless.

What matters at this point is which version of CP3 we get. We need the game 1 and game 3 version to show up in 2 of the next 3 games or we are in huge trouble.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh

I look forward to the moves were gonna make in the offseason
I assume this is sarcastic, because if the suns go out in round 1, I think it is highly likely that either Cam Johnson or Ayton is not retained.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
We’re gonna find out if Monty is a coach or a motivational speaker

Cause stupid little saying don’t win big games. I need to see some serious adjustment.
Wait, didn't you see Monty's presser? He was the most animated anyone has ever seen him... like slightly perturbed, verging on mildly annoyed!

I am certain David Silver will be receiving a strongly worded letter from Monty after the Suns are eliminated by the Pelicans, filled with such expletives as "darn" and "goshdarn." Trust me, the NBA is going to regret crossing Monty Williams!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Home court did not help much in game 2.

I actually think homecourt is almost worthless.

What matters at this point is which version of CP3 we get. We need the game 1 and game 3 version to show up in 2 of the next 3 games or we are in huge trouble.

If the Suns can win game 5, we might see some cracks in the Pelicans.

Also if the Suns make it to a game 7, I think home court is huge.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty has to try the Payne-Holiday backcourt off the bench along with some Landry Shamet.

Also they need to put someone quicker on Ingram like a guard and then bring the double team.

Suns are suffering from a case of being undersized at the forward position. They have to attack the basket offensively and defensively with abandon to establish that part of their game.

I don’t think we are undersized Crowder and Craig have proven they can play but it’s just like they’ve forgotten how to play all of a sudden.

Payne was so good when Paul was out and now all of a sudden he’s completely out of control and passing up wide open shots cause he’s doubting himself

Bridges is getting abused on defense and giving nothing on offense

Our defense has gone missing we aren’t creating turnovers and getting dominated on the boards

Ayton and CP3 are the only two guys that have shown up everybody else is playing well below where they should.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think we are undersized Crowder and Craig have proven they can play but it’s just like they’ve forgotten how to play all of a sudden.

Payne was so good when Paul was out and now all of a sudden he’s completely out of control and passing up wide open shots cause he’s doubting himself

Our defense has gone missing we aren’t creating turnovers and getting dominated on the boards

Ayton and CP3 are the only two guys that have shown up everybody else is playing well below where they should.
I think Mikal is playing pretty close to normal, don't think it's fair to say he hasn't shown up. Most of his energy is required defensively. Also McGee has done his job.

But having over half the roster underperform, especially while missing your best player is a recipe for disaster.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns can win game 5, we might see some cracks in the Pelicans.

Also if the Suns make it to a game 7, I think home court is huge.
I thought that same thing after we won Game 3… onky team that cracked up in Game 4 was us.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Was this from last night?

And did someone on the Suns get ejected after he knocked that guy out for after doing that to Paul?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Mikal is playing pretty close to normal, don't think it's fair to say he hasn't shown up. Most of his energy is required defensively. Also McGee has done his job.

But having over half the roster underperform, especially while missing your best player is a recipe for disaster.

He hasn’t shut anyone down at all

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMO we can't. You can't have Payne and Holiday on the court at the same time. We are getting outrebounded and doesn't solve the Payne problem. Payne has been a liability on the floor for over a month now. His 3 points shooting has been horrible all season. Putting them both on the court gets you nothing.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Was this from last night?

And did someone on the Suns get ejected after he knocked that guy out for after doing that to Paul?

CP3 threw a shot at Jones right. Roger that but it still should’ve been a flagrant.

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
T
Green knows Monty is too nice of a guy, so he’s having his team punk us in our house and their house.

He knows Monty will not adjust.

All Monty said right before the T last night, “that’s messed up”. Show some fire man.

I'm honestly stunned. This team was not only good this year, they were dominant and punked teams. Now we're the ones getting punked.

I think we'll be ok if we start hitting some open shots, but this is the opposite of what I expected, especially after game one. Total nightmare ever since.
This 100%. The team with the best record got punched in the mouth multiple times, and we're just taking it on the chin with no retaliation.

Herb's cheap shot on DA in Game 1 really set the tone for how physical the Pels were going to be. Herb last night again against CP3 with the "box out". Jonas all night using his "hook and elbow" to get around DA (I guarantee you that if DA or Javelle tried that, we'd get called for an offensive foul). Aside from Crowder who will put up a fight and try to get into the opposing team's heads, who else do we have ready to fight back and punch them in the mouth? Do we need to set Ish free for 2 min and go to town on their guys? Where's the fire?

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was gonna say the same thing if we did what they are we would be getting flagrants called! If DA or McGee did what JV is doing down low they are gonna call offensive foul all night, why? Because it is an offensive foul and they are letting him get away with that crap you can’t elbow and hook guys down low like that. Just one of the many garbage plays they were getting away with. Id start the bench and just have everyone lay a hard foul at the same time to start game five! Seriously this bully ball **** they are letting the Pels do is a disgrace! When the foul and FT disparity is that large in a very physical game both ways somethings not right. Yeah yeah say they played hard and physical I agree which is why there is no way on EARTH they should have LESS fouls than us??? Seriously this is just being glossed over like they played hard and won…BS they played hard and were allowed too with no foul reprocussions, yet we had everyone in foul trouble? Still pissed that was a joke of a game the NBA should be ashamed of that display from the officials!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty is being outcoached by Green so far in this series. We shall see if he does anything or is just stubborn and keeps getting punked by his former assistant. I said from the jump I did not want the Pels because Green knows us and knows how to exploit Monty and his nice guy routine. Another coach would tell crowder or send in a bench defender and put Ingram in his ass, and Alvarado would get a nice hard pick and put his ass in The ground as well! We need to toughen up because Green and his punk young guys are knocking us around because we aren’t responding well to it. We need to HIT back hard and make a statement this crap isn’t going to happen without consequences!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMO, the Pelicans length has bothered the Suns offensively and defensively especially the way they play defense and crash the boards. I don't like Cam Johnson at guard because he effects the Suns depth. I'd rather have Shamet start.

The Suns haven't matched the Pelicans physicality especially the way they crash the glass.

Other than McGee the Suns bench has been mostly dismal.

The Suns need an infusion of energy that's why I like a Holiday and Payne back court. I also like having Cam Johnson coming off the bench for added depth.

The Suns need to crash the boards and be the aggressor rather than vice versa. I wouldn't mind the Suns showing a twin tower look now and then either.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh tired and feeling like crap from l n gm tod stinks....

Hope suns turn on the freakin engines next gm and start hittin more 3s!!

Very very nervous on suns advancin now

Fingers heavily triple crossed lol gooo suns

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that same thing after we won Game 3… onky team that cracked up in Game 4 was us.

Suns need to be the aggressor in game 5. Whether the referees will allow the Suns to bang is another question.

I understand Scott Foster is a referee assigned to the game.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO, the Pelicans length has bothered the Suns offensively and defensively especially the way they play defense and crash the boards. I don't like Cam Johnson at guard because he effects the Suns depth. I'd rather have Shamet start.

The Suns haven't matched the Pelicans physicality especially the way they crash the glass.

Other than McGee the Suns bench has been mostly dismal.

The Suns need an infusion of energy that's why I like a Holiday and Payne back court. I also like having Cam Johnson coming off the bench for added depth.

The Suns need to crash the boards and be the aggressor rather than vice versa. I wouldn't mind the Suns showing a twin tower look now and then either.
I agree I need to see some adjustments

I want ish in there raising hell and flying around

Holiday is a better on ball defender than Paul and Payne

Screw it play Ayton and McGee together or play McGee and Ish together on the second unit

This team desperately needs a spark

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree I need to see some adjustments

I want ish in there raising hell and flying around

Holiday is a better on ball defender than Paul and Payne

Screw it play Ayton and McGee together or play McGee and Ish together on the second unit

This team desperately needs a spark

I'm counting on Holiday and Payne to provide the spark in the backcourt along with Cam Johnson off the bench. The main thing as I see it, the Suns need to do a better job on the boards, be more physical, hit some shots and not let the Pelicans get comfortable.

The Suns could set some better picks especially for Chris Paul.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave