RIP: Daryle Lamonica (1941-2022)

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fred Biletnikoff was a great player as well.
Oh yes he was! Biletnikoff is a HOF’er. Warren Wells was the guy that the Mad Bomber threw to on the long ones, but you’re right, in that Biletnikoff was the best WR on the team. I didn’t go back & look at the stats, but I think that Biletnikoff’s career really took off once Kenny Stabler took over as QB.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it Belitnikoff that used that sticky stuff on his hands? I think it got banned in the NFL because of his use of it. In honor of him, I bought a can and sprayed it on my golf club grips. I still sucked at golf so it didn't help me much.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
RIP oldtime.

Lamonica's winning percentage as a starter was .900, on 40 wins, 4 losses and 1 tie in 45 games, the best ever in the AFL. Although excellent at man-for-man coverage, he had a hard time reading zone defenses, more prevalent in the 1970s, and his throwing was sometimes inaccurate. He was replaced in 1973 by Ken Stabler, who, despite a weaker arm, was better at both, leading the 1976 team to victory in Super Bowl X.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wasn't it Belitnikoff that used that sticky stuff on his hands? I think it got banned in the NFL because of his use of it. In honor of him, I bought a can and sprayed it on my golf club grips. I still sucked at golf so it didn't help me much.
Yes it was , but then again the ability to get open supperceeed all of the stickem .
RIP oldtime.

Lamonica's winning percentage as a starter was .900, on 40 wins, 4 losses and 1 tie in 45 games, the best ever in the AFL. Although excellent at man-for-man coverage, he had a hard time reading zone defenses, more prevalent in the 1970s, and his throwing was sometimes inaccurate. He was replaced in 1973 by Ken Stabler, who, despite a weaker arm, was better at both, leading the 1976 team to victory in Super Bowl X.
Yes Lam0nica was a winner that resulted in John Madden having to make a heart VS mind decision . His policy was if you were a starter and got injured , when you recovered you got your job back . After Stabler went 4 and 0 as back up , a group of O players ask for a meeting with Madden , they Lobbyed for Stabler to be the QB , the rest is history

Reactions: TRW

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yep, he's the guy. He used a LOT of it.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
He wore so much "stick em" that I once saw him stick his hand out and the ball stuck to it. It was shortly after that it was banned. Funny stuff man.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He wore so much "stick em" that I once saw him stick his hand out and the ball stuck to it. It was shortly after that it was banned. Funny stuff man.
Truth be told, stickem was banned in 1981 as a direct result of Raiders CB Lester Hayes, although Biletnikoff’s use was earlier & just as pronounced. Prima Donna QB’s started complaining about Hayes, and as we all know, nothing gets done in the NFL until it starts to affect QB’s.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose