Pelicans @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread 4-19-2022 - Game 2

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
This isn't the problem. The Suns went 8-0 in the bubble and went to the finals last season. If there is a flaw, the Suns need more size at forward.
But they do have plenty of size at forward... if they play Ayton at forward and let McGee/Biyombo play the 5. Which they won't because Monty insists on playing undersized Crowder and Craig at the 4 and won't change that even when the Suns are getting beaten into submission on the boards time and again.

And it was literally the exact same issue that allowed the Bucks to come back from 2-0. At least then he had the excuse of no available relief other than Kaminsky. But even that option should have at least been tried as a last resort if nothing else.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Play Ayton and McGee together

Crowder needs to be benched. McGee is more athletic a better defender and rebounder
You lose all spacing with those two.

Another reason we gave up on Stix too early this year. He was the only one we could legit run a twin towers set with that wouldn’t crater the offense because he could somewhat keep the defense honest from deep. And while he might not be good on D at the 4, he’d still rebound like a beast, especially next to Ayton.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You lose all spacing with those two.

Another reason we gave up on Stix too early this year. He was the only one we could legit run a twin towers set with that wouldn’t crater the offense because he could somewhat keep the defense honest from deep. And while he might not be good on D at the 4, he’d still rebound like a beast, especially next to Ayton.
Yeah we have three centers and no real power forward. You can get away with twin towers for short spurts, but it would wreck our offense.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Bridges got worked the entire night. Not much you can do though when there shooting 55% from 3.

There's nothing you can do to stop that. They were in front ever 90% of those 3s and the still made them. The Pelicans won't be able to stain that for the whole series.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Play Ayton and McGee together

Crowder needs to be benched. McGee is more athletic a better defender and rebounder

Our biggest problem tonight was transition defense and rotation on the perimeter... I feel like going "big" would only make those problems worse.

They need to sharpen their rotations on defense and be better in transition on both ends.

Booker was white hot in the first half and when he went down the rest of the team failed to step up. We got out hustled, they beat us at our own game. They were faster on offense and defense and their ball movement left our defense scrambling.

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If last night wasn't the wake up call the team needed to start playing like the regular season team that won 64 games, than this is going to be a short playoff run.

I can't understand why Crowder continues to start. Get Cam Johnson in the starting lineup. Start your best 5, especially in the playoffs.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was going to pick a pivotal moment in the game, it was when the ball went off the leg of Valanciunas out of bounds and the Pelicans maintained possession and scored.
That and the eight second call that was missed and when the sun had the 9392 lead ‘Crowder got hammered in the paint with no car

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First refs: The number of fouls goes to the suns, but a lot were make up calls which were called when no one was shooting. These were some weak calls imo where i was like, oh now you want to call the Pels for a foul. The calls the suns should be getting are when they are getting hit on shots or making a defensive play which could turn a game around. The pels definitely benefitted from getting calls early in the game, it took away a lot of our intensity.

Ayton didnt show that fire last night, JV brought it, Ayton just didn't match the physicalaity.

The whole Pels team brought the energy. This is coaching here, knowing they are down, knowing this is a must win, knowing that they have a couple of days off - not only 1 day off to recover. Now home court is gone unless we win out from here.

Monty, monty, monty...the usual...timeouts, substitution patterns, adjustments or lack of.

Craig is one of those players that plays better with better people around him. Sticking him with the starters would allow him to display his energy and hustle out there, which is something this team needs.

And i'll save the worst for last, Crowder. I've been saying for a while that this guy sucks. CJ can start, but imo Craig should be the guy. If they're not starting, sub them in sooner! Dont wait with 3 minutes left in the first for Crowder to come around.

One last thing, did cp3 seem hurt or something, his shot wasn't falling, he looked a bit stiff out there.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Other than the fact that he outplayed Ayton for a second night in a row.

38-18

Know what that is?

Rebounds for valencunius and Ayton first two games.
Game 2, Jonas had 13 and Ayton had 9.
Given the fact that Ayton is asked to defend away from the basket, while Jonas camps out down low, I don’t see that as anything significant.
What bummed me out way more is how poorly Ayton and the rest of the team not named Book, crapped the bed on the offensive end of the court…

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Taking Book out, the Suns were 6 for 24 from behind the arc!
Combined with a piss-poor effort on defense… spells a BAD loss.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d say bridges is a SF and the other three are swing forwards. The issue is they’re undersized or average sized swing forwards. Not a single one is an above average size swing forward. But there’s no real PF on the roster.
Which is why so many on this board were begging the Suns to bring in a real PF somehow.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We just looked awful last night. If the film study doesn't piss them off then this is not the team we thought it was.

Also..... the Pels have the perfect type of team to give us trouble combined with the perfect coach. If we don't come out pissed off on Friday and Sunday...... We could seriously lose in round 1. Especially if Book is out until (my guess) game 7. That is 10 days rest for an injury that usually takes two weeks or more to heal.

Cheese was right, this board is going to be awful the next two days. haha

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
We just looked awful last night. If the film study doesn't piss them off then this is not the team we thought it was.

Also..... the Pels have the perfect type of team to give us trouble combined with the perfect coach. If we don't come out pissed off on Friday and Sunday...... We could seriously lose in round 1. Especially if Book is out until (my guess) game 7. That is 10 days rest for an injury that usually takes two weeks or more to heal.

Cheese was right, this board is going to be awful the next two days. haha
The Pelicans length and athleticism were already going to be a tough matchup for the Suns (seems to be their kryptonite)...without Booker, I have little faith they can move forward. Pains me to admit that

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But they do have plenty of size at forward... if they play Ayton at forward and let McGee/Biyombo play the 5. Which they won't because Monty insists on playing undersized Crowder and Craig at the 4 and won't change that even when the Suns are getting beaten into submission on the boards time and again.

And it was literally the exact same issue that allowed the Bucks to come back from 2-0. At least then he had the excuse of no available relief other than Kaminsky. But even that option should have at least been tried as a last resort if nothing else.

The time for playing players out of position is the regular season but I'm not opposed to playing Ayton some at power forward. As I recall, they may have tried it a time or two during the regular season but I'm not sure how successful it was.

As you know, Ayton, McGee and Biyombo are all centers.

Actually the Suns went bigger in a loss to the Pelicans using Booker at point guard. See link below.

The Suns lost Saric in the first game with the Bucks in the Finals last season so the problem was they really didn't have a backup FC in that series, Monty played Kaminsky sparingly.

I'm not against pulling out all the stops. I simply question whether the Suns have the right players to do it. And of course Booker's injury has to be added to the mix.

The Suns may have peaked too early.

It's a shame the Suns gave up on Stix. He could have been used to guard Hayes or help at FC.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Which is why so many on this board were begging the Suns to bring in a real PF somehow.
I think the truth is there aren’t that many PFs that fit our offense and defense well. I still think the best would’ve been ibaka. Can shoot and defend and is big. But he’s injured a lot and it seems we were never in the running for him. Though not a big rebounder, Siakam would be a great fit with his length. But there’s nothing we could give to get him imo. Not sure who else exists that can effectively hit the three, is long, can defend outside the paint, and rebounds. Maybe Portis? Vanderbilt?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the truth is there aren’t that many PFs that fit our offense and defense well. I still think the best would’ve been ibaka. Can shoot and defend and is big. But he’s injured a lot and it seems we were never in the running for him. Though not a big rebounder, Siakam would be a great fit with his length. But there’s nothing we could give to get him imo. Not sure who else exists that can effectively hit the three, is long, can defend outside the paint, and rebounds. Maybe Portis? Vanderbilt?
It's possible the Suns simply didn't have what people were asking for or did and they wouldn't part with it to get a PF. I am sure they tried at some point, but some believe they were happy with the position. Have no clue what is true but Crowder either needs to step up or Monty might have to try something else. It just sucks he has evaporated so far this playoffs unless you count fouls.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I liked Chris Boucher as well. Robert Covington would have helped too.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Pelicans length and athleticism were already going to be a tough matchup for the Suns (seems to be their kryptonite)...without Booker, I have little faith they can move forward. Pains me to admit that
This team without Booker this season never lost 4 out of 7 games. Think about that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team without Booker this season never lost 4 out of 7 games. Think about that.
True and something to give hope. However, we never played the same team 4 out of those 7 games allowing a single team to focus on us either during the season. We are going to find out how legit this next man up and how deep we really are.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This video was after game #1.

Yes, the Suns might want to go back to high school rebounding drills.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever happens the rest of the playoffs, we need to move on from Crowder this off season. He is just way too inconsistent on offense, can't rebound in any way, shape, or form commensurate to the position he plays, and the alleged toughness he supposedly brings on defense seems to be mostly a mythology.

If we are going to need to free money to resign Ayton and CJ, this the first and most obvious place to start.

Nearly as bad, the Suns owe Torrey Craig $5,121,951 next season who they acquired in the Jalen Smith trade.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Hoping it's minor and he only has to sit one game. Hamstrings injuries are deceptive though. They can feel perfectly fine then one weird move and it's hurt again. I remember all those years with KJ and boom out of nowhere he was down.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoping it's minor and he only has to sit one game. Hamstrings injuries are deceptive though. They can feel perfectly fine then one weird move and it's hurt again. I remember all those years with KJ and boom out of nowhere he was down.
I’m going to expect the worst (7-10 days), hope for the best, but still feel confident we win the series. It’s just going to take 6 or 7… which in a war of attrition in the playoffs ain’t preferred.