Cards Run D

Do the Cards have a good run D?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Vance Joseph is trash. There is a reason no team wanted him in recent interviews/hires around league.
His "schemes" are as predictable as a pop warner team. Trash.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't objectively say that we do. It is also by choice. Death by 1000 cuts.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Absolutely. We have DTs that are mostly not good at stopping the run, and a coach that seems apathetic to stopping the run. I do so hate the "bend and eventually break" defense.
My brother @Redrage pointed this out during one of our post game conversations:

The Cardinals are kind of like the Dungy era Colts. The defense plays pretty well with a good lead, but seems to fall apart when down or in close games.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Better with Watt but otherwise very bad. Our tackles get little penetration and our safeties had to engage often to stop the run.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can't remember the last time we did. Tight Ends coverage and stopping the run have been issues for years, The TE deal was a little better this year, but overall those are the two irritants for me.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is there a neither option?

It was 21st in YPG but 6th vs DVOA.

We played some of the best rushers and rushing teams in the league. JT, Henry, Cook, Zeke, CMC, Niners twice, Brown's.

I don't think it's as bad as people think.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Is there a neither option?

It was 21st in YPG but 6th vs DVOA.

We played some of the best rushers and rushing teams in the league. JT, Henry, Cook, Zeke, CMC, Niners twice, Brown's.

I don't think it's as bad as people think.
Part of those teams being held in check running was that the Cards offense was scoring in those games. Teams had to keep up.

Titans - avg 32.4 carries, 22 against the Cards
Browns - avg 28.5 vs 19
49ers - avg 29.4 vs 28 and 11! - They fully gave up trying to run.
Cowboys - avg 27.8 vs 17
Texans - avg 24.7 vs 15

All of those games the Cards jumped out to early leads expect for the first 49ers game where they were close to their season average. If you look at the games they won but didn't jump out to leads in, like the Vikings or Jax, or lost then the opponents are around or above their season averages.

I think it's worse than people think due to the offense masking it.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I know I’ve already posted this, but it just fits so perfectly.
You must be registered for see images attach

I know I’ve already posted this, but it just fits so perfectly.
VJ calls this particular scheme the “parting of the Red Sea” defense.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Vance Joseph is trash. There is a reason no team wanted him in recent interviews/hires around league.
His "schemes" are as predictable as a pop warner team. Trash.
This could not be further from the truth. One, he was not hired as a head coach and not exactly a knock on him as a DC. His problem as a DC is that his schemes are designed to work only with elite talent which is versatile and that is the problem (and he shows a ton of different looks at a QB), fore we do not have the elite talent or experienced enough talent (they are very complex compared to other defenses and our young LBs most of the time had their head on a swivel due to that and could not simply react and bawl out) to make it work as last season... I think our players would welcome a slight tip to the Pop Warner spectrum of simplicity lol

Last edited:

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Part of those teams being held in check running was that the Cards offense was scoring in those games. Teams had to keep up.

Titans - avg 32.4 carries, 22 against the Cards
Browns - avg 28.5 vs 19
49ers - avg 29.4 vs 28 and 11! - They fully gave up trying to run.
Cowboys - avg 27.8 vs 17
Texans - avg 24.7 vs 15

All of those games the Cards jumped out to early leads expect for the first 49ers game where they were close to their season average. If you look at the games they won but didn't jump out to leads in, like the Vikings or Jax, or lost then the opponents are around or above their season averages.

I think it's worse than people think due to the offense masking it.
Excellent post. I remember thinking during numerous games that we won “why do they keep abandoning the run against us?”. I think this year will be even worse. I hope not, but two super-green ILB’s + VJ never blitzing the run = a disaster to me.

Reactions: PJ1