Cardinals Have a Terrible History Drafting 23rd

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I just read Bob McManaman's column that stated "the Cardinals have had the 23rd selection only four times in their existence and NONE of the four players they drafted in that slot ever played a single game for the franchise".

So, is this the year the curse is broken?

Will we select the steal of the draft?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read Bob McManaman's column that stated "the Cardinals have had the 23rd selection only four times in their existence and NONE of the four players they drafted in that slot ever played a single game for the franchise".

So, is this the year the curse is broken?

Will we select the steal of the draft?
Holy smokes. I was already Debbie Downer this off-season and you found a way to increase my anxiety.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL

The only time the Cardinals had the #23 overall pick was back before the merger and it was a 2nd or 3rd rounder at that time.

The last time was a second rounder in 1966.

Followed by a third rounder in 1948.

And the last two were from the Cardinals first two seasons of 1936 and 1937.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trading the 23rd pick seems to be the best option if there is an opportunity.

It would be nice to add a player and another pick but drafting so late I'm not sure it's possible.

OP
OP
AZ Native

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
:) Pro-football Reference. Took 4 minutes ;)
So you are verifying that we have had the 23rd pick 4 times and they never played in a game? Thanks for verifying that. He never mentioned the 1st round. You guys must have a lot of time on your hands.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are verifying that we have had the 23rd pick 4 times and the never played in a game? Thanks for verifying that. He never mentioned the 1st round. You guys must have a lot of time on your hands.
Like I said pro football reference has all of that readily available within a couple minutes search.

And the two 1930s players did not play at all. One of the other players to play for the Cardinals in Chicago.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
LOL

The only time the Cardinals had the #23 overall pick was back before the merger and it was a 2nd or 3rd rounder at that time.

The last time was a second rounder in 1966.

Followed by a third rounder in 1948.

And the last two were from the Cardinals first two seasons of 1936 and 1937.
Round doesn't matter because either way they still were in position to select the 23rd best player in the draft. Just because there were less teams picking doesn't change the fact that it was the 23rd player selected overall.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
You didn't need the last 2 words in the title.

It is near impossible to be a 'glass half full' guy while at the same time remaining a Cardinal fan. It would be a nice word game to try and come up with one word that best describes the Cardinals.

If you looked up Cardinals in a 1 word only dictionary, what word would you see associated with them?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You didn't need the last 2 words in the title.

It is near impossible to be a 'glass half full' guy while at the same time remaining a Cardinal fan. It would be a nice word game to try and come up with one word that best describes the Cardinals.

If you looked up Cardinals in a 1 word only dictionary, what word would you see associated with them?
Is dumpsterfire one word? :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave