Murray's agent apparently broke off contact talks?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you new? Before the rookie slotting that's exactly what happened every year.

Now the slotted contracts are getting thrown out sooner and sooner.
The next guy will want a new contract after year 2.....and so on....
Cute.
Have you read the CBA? It is LITERALLY in the rules that it can't be done anymore.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't think he's worth $45M.

I find that hard to believe.

The minimum Kyler would probably get is $40m. That's the going rate now for any young QB that even has top 10 potential. It grinds my gears a little to pay him that because I don't think he's earned it in a number of ways, which is really a indictment of his personality for someone so talented. But nevertheless, $40m is where the market is at.

Keim and Mike know that. So with that in mind is Mike really going to grumble about $5m a year? It's a journeyman defensive tackle. They ain't going to throw away a QB they believe in over $5m, and they would surely settle at $42.5 or $43m anyway.

If they don't want to pay him that it's not because of the money. It's because they see something that concerns them and they aren't sold on him being the long term answer.

Now, that's not to say that's what they think. Behind the scenes they might be all in on Kyler. But if there is an issue it's not money.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The minimum Kyler would probably get is $40m. That's the going rate now for any young QB that even has top 10 potential. It grinds my gears a little to pay him that because I don't think he's earned it in a number of ways, which is really a indictment of his personality for someone so talented. But nevertheless, $40m is where the market is at.

Keim and Mike know that. So with that in mind is Mike really going to grumble about $5m a year? It's a journeyman defensive tackle. They ain't going to throw away a QB they believe in over $5m, and they would surely settle at $42.5 or $43m anyway.

If they don't want to pay him that it's not because of the money. It's because they see something that concerns them and they aren't sold on him being the long term answer.

Now, that's not to say that's what they think. Behind the scenes they might be all in on Kyler. But if there is an issue it's not money.
What is length of new contract and how much is guaranteed? The commitment and length could give Cardinal management pause if they have concerns about Murray.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Trade Tyler and a 5th rounder for 2 firsts and a third. Trade for Cleveland’s disgruntled QB and build a team that can win no matter who’s at QB.
I wouldn't mind this approach if we didn't have such a terrible track record of drafting players.

I'm also not thrilled with keeping the status quo since it seems like the margin for error with the current team is razor thin.

After the Keim and KK extensions(mostly Keim's) it's difficult to find any reason for optimism and knowing if Keim is ever replaced it will likely be by someone within the org doesn't even make me hopeful for when he finally does get the can. You can't be as bad as the Cards have been at drafting and have any type of sustained success, they need a complete overhaul on how they do things.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trade Tyler and a 5th rounder for 2 firsts and a third. Trade for Cleveland’s disgruntled QB and build a team that can win no matter who’s at QB.
Thank goodness he isn't listening to you. Keim at least knows what he is doing in regards to trading. Kyler is arguably worth TWICE that amount.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be hard to argue against it, until you look at the guy lining up and making the picks. If we hired a new GM and that was the path they wanted to go, I would be okay with it. (not thrilled, but okay)

We agree. Cardinals needed to start with a new GM and let him make the calls.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Where did he get 3 first and 3 seconds from? Hell I don't want to trade Kyler but if the Cards are going to play hardball and someone was really offering that yeah I'd strongly consider it. You can reshape the franchise.

We could draft six more ILB's.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL odds: Lines on Kyler Murray's next team, from Eagles to Seahawks

The NFL Draft is around the corner, and Arizona quarterback Kyler Murray still has not signed a new contract with the organization. Should this signal to fans and gamblers that we've seen Murray in a Cardinals jersey for the last time?

Perhaps yes. According to reports, without a new contract, Murray is not expected to suit up for AZ next season.

Just a few days before February's Super Bowl — a game in which, at the beginning of the season, the Cardinals were one of the betting favorites to play — Murray unfollowed Arizona's social media accounts. Additionally, he removed images of himself wearing the team's jersey. Weeks later, his agent released a letter expressing Murray's desire to remain a Cardinal.

This latest news, however, prompted FOX Bet oddsmakers to post hypothetical odds on where Kyler could start next season. Let's take a look at the odds.

ODDS ON KYLER MURRAY'S NEXT TEAM*

Arizona: -400 (bet $10 to win $12.50 total)
Philadelphia: +600 (bet $10 to win $70 total)
Carolina: +700 (bet $10 to win $80 total)
Houston: +800 (bet $10 to win $90 total)
Seattle: +1000 (bet $10 to win$110 total)

*Odds as of 4/18/2022

While reports suggest Murray won't play for Arizona without a new contract, FOX Bet sports trader Dylan Brossman said "we are confident the Cardinals won't let him go." That confidence is reflected in FOX Bet listing Arizona with the best, non-actionable odds to retain their QB at -400.

Philadelphia has the next-best odds at +600. However, the Eagles were emphatic about being all-in on Jalen Hurts as their QB1 as recently as a few weeks ago. This probably means that Philly is an unlikely destination for the 2019 No. 1 overall pick out of Oklahoma. But you can never say never in the NFL.

The Panthers and the Texans have the third- and fourth-best odds to snag Kyler from the Cards. Since both those teams' quarterback situations are in flux, Kyler playing for Carolina or Houston could give these franchises the stability at quarterback that eluded them last season.

Seattle is another squad pining to fill its starting quarterback role. They have yet to find a worthy replacement after trading Super Bowl champion Russell Wilson to Denver. While the Seahawks have the longest odds on the list at +1000, might Murray strike gold in the Emerald City as its new leading man?

Finally, we'd be remiss to not mention that there's always a possibility Kyler Murray could return to action next season wearing a baseball uniform instead of football cleats and pads. Murray was drafted ninth overall by the Oakland Athletics in 2018, and they still own his rights.

FOX Bet's most recent hypothetical odds don't list MLB as a possible landing spot, but FOX Bet commercial manager Jacob Blangsted-Barnor did mention a noteworthy fact.

"Under the worst-case scenario, he could retire from football and go back to baseball," the oddsmaker explained.

And since this NFL offseason has reminded bettors to expect the unexpected, it wouldn't hurt to leave a space for Kyler Quits NFL for MLB on your bingo card.

So are you banking on Murray to suit up for Arizona again next season, or do you think his contract stalemate will force him out of Phoenix and maybe even out of the NFL? Stay tuned as the situation unfolds!