Pelicans @ Suns Sunday Playoff game thread 4-17-2022 - Game 1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think Monty shrinking the rotation is a good idea. Suns need to look at who didn't come to play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I think that was a mistake too. Don’t need to pile on big minutes if unnecessary. But did buy shamet another two days to get back to normal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give him big credit defensively. He was into Ingram. But he, Payne, bridges, and Craig can’t go 0-for from three again.

I'm more forgiving of Bridges because he brought it tonight on defense but his 3-pointer was off. He did have 11 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks.

Crowder and Craig have to help rebound. That's their job. Even Cam Johnson only had 1 rebound.

IMO, Monty has to be more flexible using the bench James Jones gave him.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We go as Crowder goes from 3. He did a good job on BI and contested a lot of shots but yes he needs to do more than 1 rebound especially when DA is battling against JV.

The Suns shooting wasn't that bad. It's giving up the rebounds that really hurts them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May have to hire Jamal Crawford as a coach. He told Chris Paul to shoot the ball at halftime.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Jonas with 25 rebounds… 13 offensive boards… that’s domination. Wow…
Yeah but Jonas also shot 7 for 21 vs Ayton's 10 for 15 from the floor. And Jonas got his shots blocked several times by Ayton & Bridges and went the Pelicans left with a loss. Ayton was out setting picks and Jonas was staying near the rim & rebounding but yeah the Suns and Ayton in particular has to switch & block out better. But I take the win over the 25 boards. The Suns will clean up the rebounding difference.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton says his head is fine.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Suns shooting wasn't that bad. It's giving up the rebounds that really hurts them.
I meant more so from 3 that we go as he goes. We hit 10 but when he hits I feel like we can get 15-17ish. But yes, the rebounding has to be better. We don’t HAVE to win the boards but 20 is crazy. Forces us to be nearly perfect offensively or defensively which can be a scary game to play.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant more so from 3 that we go as he goes. We hit 10 but when he hits I feel like we can get 15-17ish. But yes, the rebounding has to be better. We don’t HAVE to win the boards but 20 is crazy. Forces us to be nearly perfect offensively or defensively which can be a scary game to play.

I understand. The Suns do need to shoot better from three. Of course rebounding is a must. There is no room for error with the Pelicans outrebounding the Suns by 20.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker talked about shifting on defense being an issue in regard to rebounding.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah but Jonas also shot 7 for 21 vs Ayton's 10 for 15 from the floor. And Jonas got his shots blocked several times by Ayton & Bridges and went the Pelicans left with a loss. Ayton was out setting picks and Jonas was staying near the rim & rebounding but yeah the Suns and Ayton in particular has to switch & block out better. But I take the win over the 25 boards. The Suns will clean up the rebounding difference.
all true. but what skews Jonus' shooting percentage and offensive rebound stats is all those taps at the ball. he's a big guy but he did earn every tap by out-jumping our bigs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think intent is necessary for a flagrant foul to be called on a shot to the head.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care what they say, the Suns looked rusty. Nowhere near their best. In spite of that, i never felt like we would lose.

We will play better in the next game. This series will be a sweep.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Always thought top defensive teams were also top rebounding teams. The Suns show me that’s not always the case…

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't care what they say, the Suns looked rusty. Nowhere near their best. In spite of that, i never felt like we would lose.

We will play better in the next game. This series will be a sweep.
I thought we had a great first half defensively. 34 points is CRAZY in the NBA to hold a team to. I thought once Cam Payne got in the game in the 3rd quarter that’s when the Pelicans made their run.

Suns played probably 7-7.5 outta 10 but never trailed and weren’t horribly threatened. They cut it to 6 and CP3 went nuclear. Book only took one shot in the 4th. It wasn’t super cohesive offensively but we’ll be fine like you said.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep coaching Jamal.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paul's explosion in the 4th reminded me of what Nash would often do in the playoffs. He'd typically defer and get people involved but here and there he knew he needed to take over. That series in 2005 against the Mavs especially.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns will sweep the playoffs if this CP3 plays like this every night

Suns need to get Ayton some help on the boards. Maybe play Biyombo beside him on occasion or do less switching.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns will sweep the playoffs if this CP3 plays like this every night

Those 3 straight threes, from basically the exact same spot, somehow working himself open again and again... that was something else.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think intent is necessary for a flagrant foul to be called on a shot to the head.

Oh so all we have to do is look back concerned after we break a players jaw?
Ayton took a hit, but because he's a man and not a flopping ***** there was no call.
Mason Ginsburg? "Who da hell is dat guy"?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul is the oldest player in NBA postseason with 30 points and 10 assists.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave