Laugh if you want…

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But... he literally missed the last game of the season to get surgery.
…..when it was already too late.
I can't find anything showing that he refused to get surgery despite the Browns asking him to. In fact, I have an article from Browns Nation encouraging the Browns to shut him down.
I’m pretty sure you and that article are saying the same thing I’m saying. That he should’ve been shut down, but just like the game against the Lions when he was clearly in pain & the HC had Keenum ready to go in, Baker refused so. I’m confident that just wasn’t a one time thing either.
This one doesn't seem like it's on Mayfield at all.
What is on him as that he held back a really talented Cleveland squad. Now, he is coming to terms that no franchise is interested in him & it seems players around the league don’t like him either. His “heart” and “toughness” got him sitting wayyyy in the back with no rewards to show for it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
…..when it was already too late.
I’m pretty sure you and that article are saying the same thing I’m saying. That he should’ve been shut down, but just like the game against the Lions when he was clearly in pain & the HC had Keenum ready to go in, Baker refused so. I’m confident that just wasn’t a one time thing either.
What is on him as that he held back a really talented Cleveland squad. Now, he is coming to terms that no franchise is interested in him & it seems players around the league don’t like him either. His “heart” and “toughness” got him sitting wayyyy in the back with no rewards to show for it.
If the team is pushing him to play, the team is pushing him to play. It's not on him, so I wouldn't be judging him like I'm judging Kyler for being a primadonna.

Kyler seems like the kind of guy who will miss a game with a hangnail. Seems an awful lot to me like you're making up scenarios here. As @BritCard said, their only other option was Case Keenum. Do you think that Browns team is going anywhere with Keenum?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1 - Baker offers very little especially as he wants a fat contract as well.

2 - Holding out is the last piece of ammo Murray and his agent have. They are using it now before the draft because they know that after the draft, nothing will happen and he is stuck.

3 - If Houston wanted Kyler, they would have traded Watson for him instead of a pile of picks.

4 - Carolina is probably the most desperate franchise for a QB and would likely be the one who would offer the most. You might be able to get #6, Derrick Brown, and a 1st next year since there isn't a bidding war. Darnold would be a toss in ala Drew Lock.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the team is pushing him to play, the team is pushing him to play. It's not on him, so I wouldn't be judging him like I'm judging Kyler for being a primadonna.
I refuse to believe that you believe Baker or any highly drafted QB doesn’t have any clout on their own status.
Kyler seems like the kind of guy who will miss a game with a hangnail.
Has played 46 out of 48 games so I guess he doesn’t seem like the kind of guy to miss a game with a hangnail.
As @BritCard said, their only other option was Case Keenum. Do you think that Browns team is going anywhere with Keenum?
Probably would’ve went just as far as they did with Baker last year.

I find it real odd you’re commending Baker for the same thing you’re slandering Kyler for. Neither deserve it & both played like crap. Difference being the talent in supporting casts.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Dark horse team would be Dallas. Dak at least gives you a top 16 QB in return and you could likely demand Parsons and a 1st next year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I refuse to believe that you believe Baker or any highly drafted QB doesn’t have any clout on their own status.
Has played 46 out of 48 games so I guess he doesn’t seem like the kind of guy to miss a game with a hangnail.
Probably would’ve went just as far as they did with Baker last year.

I find it real odd you’re commending Baker for the same thing you’re slandering Kyler for. Neither deserve it & both played like crap. Difference being the talent in supporting casts.

Pure galaxy brain to think Baker has any power to decide if he plays or not if the team thinks he should sit, when they just kicked him to the curb with barely a thought.

If they thought they had a better chance with Keenum then Keenum would have played.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looking at the draft order there are 3 teams that would probably dig the thought of trading for Kyler.
The Falcons, Texans and maybe even the Jets or Giants.
No doubt we could get a boat load of picks in return.

Rather than watch Kyler sit out or get a 50m dollar deal at this point I would welcome a trade.

I would be happy to bring a guy like Mayfield here who played with a bad knee AND a dislocated shoulder. With the extra picks we could load up and surround him with a better O- line and weapons.

Mayfield in Kingsbury’s offense could flourish.

Please keep in mind when given the choice of Kyler holding out, Kyler walking away or paying Kyler 50 M at this point, I would trade him.
I haven't seen enough out of KM to indicate he can be a franchise QB. I was a huge fan of picking Kyler at #1 but I've seen enough to know I'd be nervous to give him that much money. Maybe some draft night magic?

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought about most of those teams but the Falcons have virtually nothing at WR right now so I can't see Kyler wanting to go there. Same with the Texans. The Giants and Jets maybe a bit better but not much. Detroit actually does make some sense they have some guys. Even Carolina which apparently was a big player for others they are not exactly loaded at WR and their best offensive player, CMC, is very injury prone. I'm sure Kyler wants a new contract but I don't think he's going to force a trade to a team that has nothing in place around him.
I dunno DJ Moore is tough..and I like Terrence Marshall’s potential

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
They have clout, but they also have the expectation to play. Again, point me to an article where Baker was forcing himself into the games as opposed to trying to hold it together for his team as requested.

He was inactive for three games last season, so your numbers are off - and that's not to mention the game he "started" in week 17 of 2020 only to miss most of the game, and suddenly be good enough to come in during the 4th quarter after Streveler looked embarrassing and had us out of it. A guy like Russell Wilson probably isn't coming out of that game, given that it's a play-in for the playoffs.

Trust me, I don't want to knock a guy for getting hurt, but KM drops to the ground the instant there's the threat of contact, and hasn't shown much of a desire to get back into anything and tough it out. He seems like the type who only wants to play at near 100% health.

I'm not commending Baker for anything I'm slandering Kyler for. Both situations are different. Baker seemed engaged with his team and didn't push for a major extension after year three plus let rumors start that he was going to sit out if he didn't get his way.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I dunno if Murray can just go play for Oakland. He should have a contract clause that he can't play baseball and he is still under contract. I only see Houston and Carolina as viable trade options.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What did Baker pull? He played all last tear with a torn labrum, dislocated his shoulder again against us, had a fracture, and on top of that, had a knee strain. He toughed through everything and only decided he wanted out of Cleveland when they decided to court another QB openly.
How about forcing Odell to a contender after his father exposed him?? If KM did that with Hop the darksiders would have a meltdown. Holding back a super bowl contender?? Crying about being traded?? He’s doing the same thing y’all are accusing KM to do, hold the club for hostage while he’s under contract and creating a toxic environment. He should just man up and play for his contract right??

And Baker is no where near is talented Kyler, statically or even health wise.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno if Murray can just go play for Oakland. He should have a contract clause that he can't play baseball and he is still under contract. I only see Houston and Carolina as viable trade options.
Probably not but the possibility is there however small.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
How about forcing Odell to a contender after his father exposed him?? If KM did that with Hop the darksiders would have a meltdown. Holding back a super bowl contender?? Crying about being traded?? He’s doing the same thing y’all are accusing KM to do, hold the club for hostage while he’s under contract and creating a toxic environment. He should just man up and play for his contract right??
Forcing Odell to a contender? I mean, read this article: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ckham-jr-field-browns-relationship-fell-apart

If Odell isn't running the right routes and is looking for dad to fight his fight for him on social media instead of putting in the work and keeping it in the locker room, that's on him. I'll be honest, I think Mayfield is a middling QB, but that has nothing to do with what started this conversation. I straight up said I'm not advocating for a trade for him, but his attitude is better than Kyler's.

Where's the evidence he forced Odell out? He may be "holding back a Super Bowl contender" but Kyler's piss poor play in the back end of the season the past two years has held us back from even being a playoff game winner (something Baker has accomplished).

Kyler and Baker's contract situations or trade requests are wildly different situations, and you refuse to see that. Baker wants out because his team actively tried to replace him. Kyler wants a big contract because he feels like he's owed it, despite bringing nothing to his team.

Ironically, Baker Mayfield was in a better position to ask for a contract renegotiation after year three because he actually won a game in the playoffs and happened to throw for four TDs. Kyler showed up and threw two picks, zero TDs, and added a whopping 6 yards with those legs of his.

These situations aren't comparable. Maybe Baker isn't that good, but it doesn't matter when it comes to attitude.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Makes sense if Kyler not going to play. He needs to prove himself this year before he gets that kind of contract

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Here in Columbus, I get tons of Browns coverage. First off, the "holding back a SB contender" argument is based on the way they finished the 2020 season and how Mayfield played. I believe he was a top 3 contender, odds-wise, for league MVP prior to the start of the season.
Second, even though he was clearly hurt, I don't think Mayfield was ever listed on the injury report. I'm not 100% sure on that but that's what one of the local radio talk show guys says. So, who's forcing the action by Mayfield playing? If he's not on the injury report, why wouldn't he play?
I'm not a Mayfield fan at all. Never have been but he's taken his team farther than Murray has the Cards and had the Chiefs on the ropes.
Lastly, the players don't seem to like Mayfield. None of his players came to his defense in the OBJ fiasco and none have really come to his defense this off season.
And, I know management doesn't like Mayfield. There are 2 clear signs of this. They didn't try to extend him after nearly getting them to the SB when Baker clearly wanted to sign an extension. Then I think they knew they were going to go in another direction and that's why they kept putting him out there last season. He got hurt in week 3. If they thought he was the future, they would have sat him and "protected" their asset.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not in favor of getting rid of Murray but, if we had to….

It’s proven that you can’t have sustained success without a QB. Mayfield is not the answer. He would also prob win 6-10 games for us next year. That’s a big no no. There is a proven method of acquiring the 1st overall pick needed to have a shot at the top QB in ‘23 and we should all know it well. If Kyler leaves, you’ve gotta run it back with Wilks, McCoy and Rosen. I’d find whatever dumpster paid for by Arians that Amos Jones is living out of too and get him onboard. Just to eliminate any chance of failure in our mission, get rid of Buddy Morris and let Keim absorb strength and conditioning duties.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If I'm a team that needs a QB, I draft one until I get it right. Stop using retreads to win now. Draft one immediately, try him out, and if he doesn't work out move on immediately.

Or you can trade a bunch of draft capital for a 33 year old QB.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
1 - Baker offers very little especially as he wants a fat contract as well.

2 - Holding out is the last piece of ammo Murray and his agent have. They are using it now before the draft because they know that after the draft, nothing will happen and he is stuck.

3 - If Houston wanted Kyler, they would have traded Watson for him instead of a pile of picks.

4 - Carolina is probably the most desperate franchise for a QB and would likely be the one who would offer the most. You might be able to get #6, Derrick Brown, and a 1st next year since there isn't a bidding war. Darnold would be a toss in ala Drew Lock.
I don’t think the Cards were trading for Watson.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I don't think they were trading for Watson when they found out it wasn't at worst a 1 for 1 swap.
No, it’s still not clear the league won’t take action. What else might come to light if the civil cases go forward? Cards don’t traditionally like dirty linen of a sexual nature.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
No, it’s still not clear the league won’t take action. What else might come to light if the civil cases go forward? Cards don’t traditionally like dirty linen of a sexual nature.
the way Watson negotiated his contract says Watson thinks the league will take action

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And Baker is no where near is talented Kyler, statically or even health wise.
Baker is nowhere near as talented as Murray but blaming him for OBJ being the pos he’s always been is laughable. If Beckham’s dad were a dad, his son wouldn’t be such an idiot.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought about most of those teams but the Falcons have virtually nothing at WR right now so I can't see Kyler wanting to go there. Same with the Texans. The Giants and Jets maybe a bit better but not much.
Russ, I don't want to single you out, as several posters have made the same assumption in this thread, but Murray don't have a say in which team he would go to. Or at least he doesn't need to have. The reason why some of the high-profile quarterbacks (Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson) do is that they have a no trade-clause in their contract. They can simply refuse to play for certain teams. Murray doesn't have that luxury, as he is still on his rookie contract, and I highly doubt that any team would include such a clause in a rookie contract. Thus, the Cards could send him to any team that they want, and he would have no say in it.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the draft order there are 3 teams that would probably dig the thought of trading for Kyler.
The Falcons, Texans and maybe even the Jets or Giants.
No doubt we could get a boat load of picks in return.

Rather than watch Kyler sit out or get a 50m dollar deal at this point I would welcome a trade.

I would be happy to bring a guy like Mayfield here who played with a bad knee AND a dislocated shoulder. With the extra picks we could load up and surround him with a better O- line and weapons.

Mayfield in Kingsbury’s offense could flourish.

Please keep in mind when given the choice of Kyler holding out, Kyler walking away or paying Kyler 50 M at this point, I would trade him.
I'm not laughing, I'm crying.