98.7 finally gets a clue after the Carr extension

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then he gets the transition tag at 42.5 million. Lower said math by 3 million

Not sure where you are getting these numbers.

The fifth-year option numbers come in four tiers: players with two or more Pro Bowl selections in their first three seasons, players with one Pro Bowl, players who meet the playing time criteria with no Pro Bowls, and players who meet no playing time criteria.

So he has 2 Pro bowls (it was the year before he was an alternate) and according to the NFL numbers below its not close to 45m.

Its 29.7m which is about what we expected.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The "price is only going up" talk needs to stop. Its clearly not the case.

Carr is getting 35m a year with little guarantees. Allen didn't top Mahomes despite his deal coming later. Tannehill signed a deal that didn't reset the market. Stafford off a SB win didn't sign a deal that reset the market.

The days of "we need to beat the last deal by half a mil" are over.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The "price is only going up" talk needs to stop. Its clearly not the case.

Carr is getting 35m a year with little guarantees. Allen didn't top Mahomes despite his deal coming later. Tannehill signed a deal that didn't reset the market. Stafford off a SB win didn't sign a deal that reset the market.

The days of "we need to beat the last deal by half a mil" are over.
Did you just forget to mention Rodgers, Watson, and Cousins here, or did you leave them out because they don’t fit your narrative?

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the years, listening to Vic Carucci on NFL radio, he always says once a team exercises the 5th year option, any extension needs to start at that 5th year amount. So, for Murray, $45 million is the floor, regardless of any previous offers talked about.

Correct. It's why I would have traded him a month ago and just blown it all up.

Instead we will extend everyone and overpay or get less value in true Cardinals fashion

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you just forget to mention Rodgers, Watson, and Cousins here, or did you leave them out because they don’t fit your narrative?

Well no. I didn't mention them because Cousins deal was 35m per year. I mentioned Watson already in another post.

Rodgers I forgot tbh but its such a complicated deal to digest.

Either way of all extensions done the last 2 years only 2 have reset the market. And Kyler isn't in thier league yet.

Far more have not changed the market.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of these QBs getting paid big numbers is rewarding for them as individuals, but not necessarily great for their respective teams. Tying all your money up in one position makes it more difficult to field a well-balanced team capable of getting to or winning the big game.

Super Bowl QB Cap Percentages​

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It’s not going to go up the bar is already set with Watson, Mahomes and Rodgers. Your looking at 40 a season pretty much

It’s not like the price has come out of nowhere. It’s not going to change from now until the start of the season.

It’s up to the cardinals and how much they value him. No way on earth would I tie up that much money in Murray. He’s flat out collapsed the last two seasons, hasn’t been able to stay healthy and has shown zero leadership or maturation since coming into the league.

Another thing that people are forgetting. Say you sign him for 220 million guaranteed the day that contract is signed the Cardinals need to put that full amount into a trust. You need that money on hand and Bidwill is pretty poor compared to other owners his only source of income is pretty much the Cardinals.

Source?

P.S. there is also a difference between guaranteed and guarantees. The second is contingent.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All of these QBs getting paid big numbers is rewarding for them as individuals, but not necessarily great for their respective teams. Tying all your money up in one position makes it more difficult to field a well-balanced team capable of getting to or winning the big game.

Super Bowl QB Cap Percentages​

The Cap keeps going up and it's not the amount paid but the percentage of the Cap that's truly pertinent.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm really torn on this.

I was more comfortable paying Deandre Ayton the max last summer than I am paying Kyler Murray and it's a similar situation. Ayton and his agent handled it professionally and Murray is under contract this season as well just like Ayton. Also the Cardinals could pick up his 5th year option. However, unlike the Ayton situation this could turn messy.

The Cardinals had to see this impasse coming with the social media stuff and the other quarterbacks getting paid big money. Now I understand Murray's agent has taken away their contract offer. The way this has been handled by both sides bothers me.

If the Cardinals are unsure they want to pay Murray, they should trade him before it really gets ugly. Maybe that's where it's at. It's hard to repair these relationships when they fall apart.

1. An agents 'wish' plus a couple of bucks buys a cup of cheap java. Contract negotiations don't begin until the team puts an offer on the table. Then they haggle. 2. Both parties know that this is about a BUSINESS relationship, they are not exchanging rings.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. An agents 'wish' plus a couple of bucks buys a cup of cheap java. Contract negotiations don't begin until the team puts an offer on the table. Then they haggle. 2. Both parties know that this is about a BUSINESS relationship, they are not exchanging rings.
In the case of Kyler, since he is already under contract, isn't it a contract renegotiation?

I put all of this drama on Kyler and his agent. Teams historically have handled these transactions in the Summer yet he and his agent began stirring the pot as soon as the season ended. SMH.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In the case of Kyler, since he is already under contract, isn't it a contract renegotiation?

I put all of this drama on Kyler and his agent. Teams historically have handled these transactions in the Summer yet he and his agent began stirring the pot as soon as the season ended. SMH.

True, it is factually a renegotiation and a lot of posturing that some are taking way too seriously at this point.

I made an offer of 25K on a car worth 50. The dealer did not respond. To teach him a lesson, I rescinded my offer.

That'll teach 'em!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Source?

P.S. there is also a difference between guaranteed and guarantees. The second is contingent.

Per current league rules, all future fully guaranteed money due in a player contract must be placed in escrow at the time the deal is consummated. It's antiquated and has long been a bone of contention for the NFLPA.

If it’s guaranteed money you need to have every cent that’s guaranteed at the time of the contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For all we know the Cardinals may have put an offer on the table and there is an impasse in negotiations.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even Bickley has done a 180 on this now.

Without Kyler Murray, the Cardinals will field one of the worst teams in the NFL next season. And yet a happy, healthy Murray can help the Cardinals overcome most anything. Like him or not, he can make that much of a difference on a football field. He can make the Cardinals a playoff team in 2022 despite all the regression.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Without Kyler Murray, the Cardinals will field one of the worst teams in the NFL next season. And yet a happy, healthy Murray can help the Cardinals overcome most anything. Like him or not, he can make that much of a difference on a football field. He can make the Cardinals a playoff team in 2022 despite all the regression.
The biggest flaw in all of this by the Cardinals was not vocalizing a timeline. The Cardinals could have just stated they were going to address Kyler's contract after this next season and left it at that. They could have issued a statement that said they believe Kyler has amazing potential, look forward to improving upon last season, and will be happy about addressing his contract after. It's not that difficult to navigate. They obviously have concerns but they could have just said that and moved on. Kyler's agent could still have done what he is doing, but the Cardinals would have been able to ignore it as they had already set the narrative.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Like we were a playoff team this past season? Yay. More of that, please.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Burkhardt hasn’t negotiated a big contract before and it’s an agent’s job to know who you’re dealing with. He should’ve known twitter negotiations would push a GM/owner like Keim/Bidwill away.

The Cards should’ve been more communicative like others have mentioned. The old school my way/highway tactics are so 30 years ago and the Mortensen hit piece (allegedly) just can’t happen.

The stupider this gets the more it increases the chance they call Kyler’s bluff. They could do that to make a point just like the coach/GM extensions after Burkhardt’s tweet.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like we were a playoff team this past season? Yay. More of that, please.

Right.

I just had this conversation with my best friend. I can deal with 4-12 I can deal with being bad but these last two seasons and the collapses have pissed me off and made me not care like never before.

The draft is in two weeks and I haven’t even looked at it. I have zero faith our first round pick even plays.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

A lot to unpack there. He hasn't proven he can do it when "happy." He hasn't proven he can stay healthy or play even slightly injured. He hasn't shown the Cards he can overcome anything, yet. He's, what, 0-7 or something in clinching or playoff games? It's an ugly number, whatever it is. So, the most important part of your statement post shows a host of issues as the reason why he hasn't earned the extension and why he shouldn't get one yet. How does he deal with adversity? He pouts, whines, alienates himself from teammates on the field, gives up on his teammates and the game, etc. He was hot garbage, and not just in his play, down the stretch and in the playoffs. Yes, he has a lot of physical tools. Yes, he has the talent to be transcendent. The question is, does he have the head and/or the heart to be that player? Right now, we just don't know. Right now, there's every possibility that he has a million-dollar body with a hundred dollar head and ten cent heart. I don't want to throw money at that. It's a big risk with him under team control for two more years.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right.

I just had this conversation with my best friend. I can deal with 4-12 I can deal with being bad but these last two seasons and the collapses have pissed me off and made me not care like never before.

The draft is in two weeks and I haven’t even looked at it. I have zero faith our first round pick even plays.

That feels like a well deserved extension to me.

Kyler could stay or go at this point and it won't matter because Michael is the conductor of this clown shows orchestra

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Right.

I've been looking forward to attending the draft my entire life with my dad. We're practically religious about it. And now it's literally in my backyard, and I'm about as enthused about Cardinals football as I am traffic updates. Blech.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been looking forward to attending the draft my entire life with my dad. We're practically religious about it. And now it's literally in my backyard, and I'm about as enthused about Cardinals football as I am traffic updates. Blech.

I feel you

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All these things are true

1. Kyler has shown enough to be extended from a talent perspective. It's not been wart free but he's clearly talented.
2. The FO is under no obligation to do it this year. It's completely 100% their call when they extend him.
3. No post rookie QB contract has ever been done before June.
4. Burkhardt and subsequently Kyler's handling of this has been amateur and counter productive.

I feel like those on the Kyler side of this argument are acting like the FO don't want to extend him. I don't think that's the case at all.

But let's not pretend it's a slam dunk Mahomes or Allen like decision. Kyler hasn't helped with his own play with fading down the stretch the last 2 seasons. Toughness issues. And some questions around his leadership such as the Budda incident or refusing to take the final snaps of the playoff game.

It's not unreasonable that the FO might have some questions they want answers to first. And frankly Kyler hasn't done anything to help himself with the way he's handled this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson