Murray's agent apparently broke off contact talks?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
When they either trade him at far less value or overpay him due to the increases in QB Salary and his 5th year option is astronomical now, we can at least say we made him wait cause it was the "Right thing to do"

Man this is some back assward thinking.
I don't like Keim. I feel that has been pretty clear. That said, if I have concerns about Murray, I don't care about paying an extra 5-10 mil per year if I am proven wrong.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Have you seen some of the baseball contracts which by the way are 100% gauranteed? Do you really think Kyler would be in the minors for more than a couple of months. No to mention he’d probably make more in his 1st year than he will this year.
Oh and he does love baseball too. If you are the Cardinals and don’t consider this an option for him , even if it’s slight, they are making a mistake.
I’ve asked around and I’m not at all certain that he makes more playing baseball. He’d likely start in an advanced A team and if he hits, me might get a taste of AA Year one. I’m sure his defense would be fine. Year two he would likely have to hit at AA the AAA in the second half of the year to get a late season call up. The MLB game has changed. It‘s about launch angle and bat speed. No one pays big money for a defensive center fielder who hits .270 with no power. He played very little college baseball. He was drafted based on his athletic projection. He’s 24, which makes him much older than than typical rookies. This does no bode well for big bucks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would not trade Kyler this year after so many teams have filled their QB positions. I would see how far Kyler is willing to take this and then make a decision after the season.

Either he sucks, you have a bad season and have a top 10 pick...

Or he is good, he refuses an ext and you trade him for a top 10 pick...

Or he is good, and you make him the highest paid QB in the NFL.

Either way, I am over the posturing and the tantrum from a guy that hasn't earned the right to make these types of demands. This game is being played because of Baker Mayfield, Kyler's past two seasons with injuries, he continued poor play over the 2nd half of seasons and in meaningful games. Don't kid yourself, Kyler and his agent are terrified to go into next year without a new contract because they are afraid he is going to lose his value.

If you don't see the franchise as sending a message to Kyler of "prove it" and Kyler's agent using all leverage to try and avoid having his client have to do so...you aren't listening.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
R

I’m sure everyone is aware I’m not a Bidwill family fan. However, I think it’s fair to say, for the most part, they’ve paid their players fairly. They’ve lost a few I would have preferred they would have kept, but usually those players were paid above the expected market. Frankly Murray has not been a PR asset since he arrived. He’s played well, but not Hall of Fame well. He fell apart in last year’s playoff, easily winning the Garo Yepremian Award for choking while passing.

In this case he’s yelling before he’s hurt. Many contracts are renewed after the June 1. I‘m not certain who else his agent reps, but I’m not impressed. Perhaps the Cards are now wondering who may make an offer at the draft. Being a Cardinal baseball fan as well, I’ve learned that loyalty is a two way street. When I was young, no one said St Louis was a great place to play. Now the fans are often called the best in baseball. That’s because of players like Willie McGee and Ozzie Smith won the hearts of the fans, in part, by what they publicly said about the team and the fans. Today Wainwright and Molina carry on that tradition. Murray has somehow seemed aloof and distant from the fans and at least early on from the players. Maybe that’s his personality. However, part of what a team pays for is keeping fans happy. At times Murray has done that with his play. If he’s said how happy or lucky he’s been to play in AZ, I’ve missed it. A contract is a package deal. Murray is an approach/avoidance conflict.

I grew up a Cards baseball fan too, Templeton was my favorite player he was in a sense the Terry Metcalf of Cards baseball, great player who in his prime essentially left because of contracts and fans. Metcalf wanted more money and was tired of being booed for fumbles, Templeton wanted more contract stability and was tired of being booed for errors. You'll recall the infamous flipping off the fans is essentially what got him traded.

I hope it doesn't turn out like those 2 did with Murray.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not trade Kyler this year after so many teams have filled their QB positions. I would see how far Kyler is willing to take this and then make a decision after the season.

Either way, I am over the posturing and the tantrum from a guy that hasn't earned the right to make these types of demands. This game is being played because of Baker Mayfield, Kyler's past two seasons with injuries, he continued poor play over the 2nd half of seasons and in meaningful games. Don't kid yourself, Kyler and his agent are terrified to go into next year without a new contract because they are afraid he is going to lose his value.

If you don't see the franchise as sending a message to Kyler of "prove it" and Kyler's agent using all leverage to try and avoid having his client have to do so...you aren't listening.
with it

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Prove it with what, though? A supporting offensive cast with an average age of 30, which includes a 22-year-old Rondale Moore? A stripped down version of the defense that gave up 190 yards rushing to Rashaad Penny in a possible division clinching game and allowed Stafford to put up 139.2 and 154.5 passer ratings in the last two head-to-head matchups? I acknowledge Kyler's issues, but expecting him to go light up the league with this team and this schedule is pretty much setting him up to fail.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is mental, has Murray conducted himself in the best way? Absolutely not! Who knows what crappy advice he’s getting behind the scenes (he is only 24). But the amount of fans willing to just cut ties with him is unbelievable, he’s pretty much broken every QB record we have and is a top 10 QB who is projecting upwards.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sileo is a clown.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

However, a part of me would take Jalen Hurts (although people here seem to want Mnshew), their 2 1st round picks, and whatever else compensation and call it a day tbh.

Keim seems to think he did Kyler a favor by taking him #1 (maybe he was right).
Kyler seems to think he did Keim a favor by saving his job (maybe he was right).

Keim can find out if he can find another replacement.
Kyler can find out that Philly is way harsher media market than Arizona.

The only thing is they rewarded Keim and Kliff (to a lesser extent) when they share just as much blame for the 2nd half issues.

If Bidwill fires Keim, lets a new GM takeover then out goes the posturing. Either new guy believes him or he simply finds his own guy.

Kliff's gotta prove his legacy of 2nd half collapses is over. Still gets a 5-year extension.
Keim's gotta prove he can add young talent and improve roster construction. Still gets a 5-year extension.
Kyler's gotta prove he can stay healthy and finish strong. Ehhh lets wait and see.

If anything Bidwill should have held off on all 3 until the summer.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So during the draft sounds about right. :wink2:
That's what I'm thinking at this point. If it's a toxic relationship that they don't want to work through on each side then just part ways. IMO

If ya can't beat em, join em..

Just gonna be at peace with whatever Keim and his master want at this point.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Prove it with what, though? A supporting offensive cast with an average age of 30, which includes a 22-year-old Rondale Moore? A stripped down version of the defense that gave up 190 yards rushing to Rashaad Penny in a possible division clinching game and allowed Stafford to put up 139.2 and 154.5 passer ratings in the last two head-to-head matchups? I acknowledge Kyler's issues, but expecting him to go light up the league with this team and this schedule is pretty much setting him up to fail.
There’s stuff outside of statistics that Kyler could improve on, like his attitude towards watching film. Preparedness for games. Decision making. He’s supposed to be a “transcendent talent.” Go prove it with the the things you can actually control.

Hell, stepping up his body language would be one great move. Go get some time in with a media trainer.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is mental, has Murray conducted himself in the best way? Absolutely not! Who knows what crappy advice he’s getting behind the scenes (he is only 24). But the amount of fans willing to just cut ties with him is unbelievable, he’s pretty much broken every QB record we have and is a top 10 QB who is projecting upwards.
Obviously. However, its how Keim is handling things that makes me wonder (a little bit) if he just needs to move him now. If he's not the guy, Keim, then what are we doing or waiting for.

I don't want checkers master Keim trying to play chess. Either give him the contract or move on.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Prove that he can elevate talent and win games without a top 10 roster.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sileo is a clown.

However, a part of me would take Jalen Hurts (although people here seem to want Mnshew), their 2 1st round picks, and whatever else compensation and call it a day tbh.

Kyler seems to think he did Keim a favor by saving his job (maybe he was right).

The only thing is they rewarded Keim and Kliff (to a lesser extent) when they share just as much blame for the 2nd half issues.

If Bidwill fires Keim, lets a new GM takeover then out goes the posturing. Either new guy believes him or he simply finds his own guy.

Kliff's gotta prove his legacy of 2nd half collapses is over. Still gets a 5-year extension.
Keim's gotta prove he can add young talent and improve roster construction. Still gets a 5-year extension.
Kyler's gotta prove he can stay healthy and finish strong. Ehhh lets wait and see.

This is the key piece of info in all of this. Bidwill seems to believe these two were less of a factor than Kyler. Regardless if that is right or wrong, this is the message that is being sent.

It is essentially, "Keim and Kliff aren't holding you back. You need to take your game to another level. They aren't going anywhere. You need to listen to them."

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sileo is a clown.

No idea who Dan Sileo is but I want no part of Jalen Hurts. Terrible passer won't throw over the middle, if the first read is covered he immediately looks to run.

I would rather have Jimmy G than Hurts and people know I'm no fan of Jimmy's.

I will give him this by all accounts Hurts works very hard, he's just not very good, he is a one read and run QB

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Prove that he can elevate talent and win games without a top 10 roster.

That's awesome!

lol.
I mean that is legit.

Maybe he's not capable of carrying a team a not so great team.
However, what if he's really good when the team is really good. And I really do believe he was really good with a healthy Hopkins.

If Bidwill is clearly Team Steve over Team Kyler. Then yes he should move him. Cause Kyler with a major contract might not be able to overcome Steve's inability to draft or add young talent year in and year out. Instead, we need a better/greater QB than can do that. Cause instead we'll be the Lions with Stafford.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking at this point. If it's a toxic relationship that they don't want to work through on each side then just part ways. IMO

If ya can't beat em, join em..

Just gonna be at peace with whatever Keim and his master want at this point.

My comment was made in regards to Murray reportedly not asking for a trade before the draft. That's why I half joking referred to what about during the draft. The door was left open.

Negotiations shouldn't be toxic but more of a business transaction. Either make a deal or move on. It shouldn't be played out in the media.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My comment was made in regards to Murray reportedly not asking for a trade before the draft. That's why I half joking referred to what about during the draft. The door was left open.

Negotiations shouldn't be toxic but more of a business transaction. Either make a deal or move on. It shouldn't be played out in the media.
The only reason this is happening is because Kyler's agent (and maybe Kyler) are worried about getting injured again and having another end of the year collapse which will crush his contract demands. Making this public and all of the threats are the only leverage they have.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason this is happening is because Kyler's agent (and maybe Kyler) are worried about getting injured again and having another end of the year collapse which will crush his contract demands. Making this public and all of the threats are the only leverage they have.
Bingo

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

These are good reasons for the Cardinals not to cave in to his contract demands.

If I were the Cardinals I'd have the same concerns about Murray.

The alternative is being stuck with huge contract with a quarterback that is not taking the team anywhere.

On a side note, I wanted the Suns to pay Deandre Ayton this past summer before he became a restricted free agent. I felt he had proven himself.

Kyler Murray is in the same situation but I don't feel he has proven he is worth that kind of money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson