Murray's agent apparently broke off contact talks?

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

A Kyler Murray holdout would get very expensive

Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray reportedly won’t play under the current terms of the fourth year of his rookie contract. This implies that he’ll hold out, if he doesn’t get a new deal that he deems acceptable.

He has every right to do that. Despite the terms of his individual contract, the Collective Bargaining Agreement gives him the right to withhold services in order to get whatever he wants, whether a new contract from the Cardinals or a trade to a team that will give him one.

If he ultimately holds out, what will it cost? Per the CBA, he’d be fined $40,000 per day. Far more importantly, he’d lose the vast majority of his 2022 compensation — a 90-man roster bonus in the amount of $4.524 million — if he doesn’t report by the third day of training camp.

If he’s willing to forfeit $4.524 million by not showing up by the third day of camp, why not also give up his $765,000 salary and sit out the whole year? Well, doing so would result in the forfeiture of more than $5.8 million in paid but unearned signing bonus money.

So, yes, it could get very expensive for Murray to stay away in order to force a new contract or a trade. Still, the overriding question would be whether the Cardinals would relent and trade or pay him, or whether the Cardinals would take the old-school play-for-us-or-play-for-no-one approach, squatting on Murray’s rights indefinitely.

If that happens, Murray has an ace in the hole. He can go play baseball in the Oakland A’s system. If push comes to shove, maybe he will.
Very well written and well thought out. I don't think I would want an attitude like his next to me if I was in a foxhole with shells firing overhead, eh?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Has anything any one’s ever said been able to convince you? Of anything?
Absolutely and I’ve said as much on this board time and time again. I have little need for my opinion to be right. I want to know and understand the facts so when I’m thinking about something or discussing it I can understand the truth. If it means understanding I’m wrong now so I can be straight in the future I’m 100% ego-free. That said I admit to possessing a high threshold for proof. But I think we all do. I mean, whose brain do you trust more? Your own or some faceless individual’s on a sports board?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's still some baffling 20/20 hindsight to me. It's wild to fault someone for not making intense overinvestments only because they might have worked out.

If Malik Willis ended up at 13, would you give up a first round pick and applaud the pick? I imagine you'd be in the same meltdown mode I would be.
It’s not about what I think. I’m saying if you’re the GM, you need a QB, you need to have the conviction of your analysis to do what’s necessary to go get him. I’m not saying I’d agree with it if I didn’t believe the talent, but I’m saying that’s what a good gm should do.

Regardless, his point was we couldn’t draft mahomes because he was drafted before our pick . . . by a team that was drafting over ten picks later than us. That’s what I was pointing out.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Absolutely and I’ve said as much on this board time and time again. I have little need for my opinion to be right. I want to know and understand the facts so when I’m thinking about something or discussing it I can understand the truth. If it means understanding I’m wrong now so I can be straight in the future I’m 100% ego-free. That said I admit to possessing a high threshold for proof. But I think we all do. I mean, whose brain do you trust more? Your own or some faceless individual’s on a sports board?
Hey, some of us have our actual faces as our avatar...and you still like to argue...lol

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hey, some of us have our actual faces as our avatar...and you still like to argue...lol
I very much enjoy rigorous debate. It’s a great tool for advancing my knowledge.

And why would I care to splash my face all over the internet? And what does that have to do with the conversation?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If your last assertion is right, can we promise that's a good thing?

I genuinely, honestly, think extending him right now would be a mistake. The kid reeks of wanting things handed to him. We can hand him a bunch of guaranteed money... is he going to recognize that and put in the extra work that he seems reticent to give?

Edit: 10,000 posts! Just under the wire for my 20th anniversary here, too!
And who’s to say he won’t? For as long as this franchise has waited to have a young, talented QB, it‘s flat out ridiculous to not trust that he won’t mature some. He’s 24 stinking years old & the MOST talented young QB in the history of this franchise. To think otherwise is pure insanity. Unless, of course, the FO knows more of him that NO ONE else does.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

A Kyler Murray holdout would get very expensive

Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray reportedly won’t play under the current terms of the fourth year of his rookie contract. This implies that he’ll hold out, if he doesn’t get a new deal that he deems acceptable.

He has every right to do that. Despite the terms of his individual contract, the Collective Bargaining Agreement gives him the right to withhold services in order to get whatever he wants, whether a new contract from the Cardinals or a trade to a team that will give him one.

If he ultimately holds out, what will it cost? Per the CBA, he’d be fined $40,000 per day. Far more importantly, he’d lose the vast majority of his 2022 compensation — a 90-man roster bonus in the amount of $4.524 million — if he doesn’t report by the third day of training camp.

If he’s willing to forfeit $4.524 million by not showing up by the third day of camp, why not also give up his $765,000 salary and sit out the whole year? Well, doing so would result in the forfeiture of more than $5.8 million in paid but unearned signing bonus money.

So, yes, it could get very expensive for Murray to stay away in order to force a new contract or a trade. Still, the overriding question would be whether the Cardinals would relent and trade or pay him, or whether the Cardinals would take the old-school play-for-us-or-play-for-no-one approach, squatting on Murray’s rights indefinitely.

If that happens, Murray has an ace in the hole. He can go play baseball in the Oakland A’s system. If push comes to shove, maybe he will.

Frankly, I find it hilarious that anyone would take this seriously. From the penthouse of the NFL to riding a bus in A, AA, AAA ball and if he's great, cashing-in in his late 20's. There is nowhere other than the NFL where he's likely to make generational coin, and nowhere but the CARDS where he's most likely to garner multi-generational cash.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please, don't remind me. Let's not compound mistakes with more mistakes, though.
That is exactly what I think they are doing by not signing Kyler early in free agency, if they consider him QBoF.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And who’s to say he won’t? For as long as this franchise has waited to have a young, talented QB, it‘s flat out ridiculous to not trust that he won’t mature some. He’s 24 stinking years old & the MOST talented young QB in the history of this franchise. To think otherwise is pure insanity. Unless, of course, the FO knows more of him that NO ONE else does.
Why should we, at this point, trust he will mature? His maturity trajectory spiked sharply DOWNWARDS last season, and has continued to plummet in the offseason. He has taken no responsibility for anything and has gotten petty and demanding after a historic playoff loss. I didn't have KM maturity issue questions heading into last season; I now have tons of questions on the topic. That's trending in the wrong way.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Why should we, at this point, trust he will mature? His maturity trajectory spiked sharply DOWNWARDS last season, and has continued to plummet in the offseason. He has taken no responsibility for anything and has gotten petty and demanding after a historic playoff loss. I didn't have KM maturity issue questions heading into last season; I now have tons of questions on the topic. That's trending in the wrong way.
Has he? Where has he gotten this way? Post one quote. I'll wait.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. And this is before getting paid. Things will get better after he is paid? I have serious doubts that will happen.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know it's not all on KM but is it wise to pay $45-50 million a year to a QB who wins a whopping 1/3rd of his games in the last month of the season? The team is 5-10 in the last month of the season since he got here. Again, not all on him but I would expect a transitional talent to lift a team a bit higher than that. Maybe that's just me.

The Cards probably made their bed when they drafted him #1 overall and will have to lay in it. 3 or 4 years from now the board will be carping at each other about the same things probably. Injuries, lack of depth, cap issues, coaching issues, GM issues, ownership issues ad nauseum. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The sad life and reality of a Cardinals fan.

Stout

Reaction score
Has he? Where has he gotten this way? Post one quote. I'll wait.
You don't have to. Go back and read the national media article where he just "sees the field." Plus, you're trying to move the goal posts. This is a commentary on his maturation, or regression in maturation, as we fans observe it by watching his play. Can you with any seriousness argue he matured throughout the season, watching the games? Did his maturity look to be going to the right or wrong direction?

I'll wait.

Stout

Reaction score
Agreed. And this is before getting paid. Things will get better after he is paid? I have serious doubts that will happen.
Mm hm. Expecting him to get MORE mature after he's been paid when he throws a hissy fit is not a good indicator of future change. It's rewarding regressive play and deva behavior.

forever red

Rookie
Reaction score
KM is spoiled. His entire life people have bent over backwards and done whatever he has wanted to take advantage of his superior athletic abilities. However in the NFL he has finally met his match. His physical skills are no longer enough. Now he needs to study , prepare, and lead his teammates through his actions on and off the field. Unfortunately these skills were never developed growing up and their absence is readily apparent. The Cardinals are correct in not succumbing to KM's agents demands . And if he leaves the Cardinals or is traded so be it. IMO The Cardinals need a real leader at the QB position and KM is not that guy.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
QBs at this contract stage usually get a new deal in summer, not spring.
Take Kyler out of the equation.

We don't have any foundational young talent on offense. Rondale is just a gadget guy (right now). Isabella wants out or cant get on the field. Josh Jones cant beat out Beachum. I mean DJ will be 29 at the end of the year and Hopkins will be 30 this summer.

We have a couple on defense. However, Im starting to believe Keim is going to draft a corner in round 1 cause we're not re-signing Byron Murphy.

Keim's inability to add young talent (Or keep it) is part of the reason the agent is pressing so hard. He's one of the only young guys we've hit on and the rest is an aging roster.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you're contemplating trading Kyler you don't do it this year when the QB market sucks
I don't agree.

You do it as fast as you can, and wait to draft a qb till next year. It's not like the team still won't suck without a qb no matter how well we do in the draft.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose