Murray's agent apparently broke off contact talks?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a funny back and forth, but Gabbert (as a backup) two years ago very well could have won that game against the rams and their backup. This last year , I don’t really see the argument since we were in the playoffs.
We backed into the playoffs. Only clinched because of what other teams did. KM has never won a playoff or division clinching game in several attempts. And as for playoff games...we all saw that dumpster fire of a performance.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In other words... KM doesn't want to earn it; he wants it handed to him. I would bet he's probably asking for ARod money... even though he's done absolutely nothing to prove he deserves it.
Yup sure kyler has good season stats but his rec in clutch gms is ehhhhhhhh and he just got shutdown by rams in poffs lol

To me seems like not s great time to demand max hope if kyler resigns here lol /facepalm its good for both sides

I kind of miss the carson palmer type qb anyway lol

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not really intending to back Vacard's point, but as I've argued multiple times on this board, giving up more than the Chiefs were offering to move up one slot on a guy with a lot of questions would have been a bad choice at the time.

But I feel like I'll be having this discussion until Mahomes and Watson retire, if not longer.
See I’m of the mind if you think that guy is your QB you do what you gotta do to get him. It’s the only position for which I espouse that philosophy.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
See I’m of the mind if you think that guy is your QB you do what you gotta do to get him. It’s the only position for which I espouse that philosophy.
Ouchie, I know I'm rehashing our arguments here, but 99% of this board hated the concept of even drafting Mahomes or Watson at our spot. Much of the national media said they had no reason to be considered in the first round. Trading up with a competitive offer (a first round pick) against the Chiefs or Texans for 1-3 spots would have created a riot on this board.

We moved up to get Rosen, because we "trusted" him. We drafted Matt Leinart and called it a "gift from God."

There's a currently pending lawsuit in which our former head coach claims he wanted Josh Allen, and to do anything to get him, but would that have actually worked? These guys are not destined to be successful, they have to be in the right situation. Year one Josh Allen was just alright. None of us can confidently say that he'd have saved Wilks' job.

More importantly, Arians was looking to win in the moment. Why drop the next year's first round pick on a QB he may never coach?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ouchie, I know I'm rehashing our arguments here, but 99% of this board hated the concept of even drafting Mahomes or Watson at our spot. Much of the national media said they had no reason to be considered in the first round. Trading up with a competitive offer (a first round pick) against the Chiefs or Texans for 1-3 spots would have created a riot on this board.

We moved up to get Rosen, because we "trusted" him. We drafted Matt Leinart and called it a "gift from God."

There's a currently pending lawsuit in which our former head coach claims he wanted Josh Allen, and to do anything to get him, but would that have actually worked? These guys are not destined to be successful, they have to be in the right situation. Year one Josh Allen was just alright. None of us can confidently say that he'd have saved Wilks' job.

More importantly, Arians was looking to win in the moment. Why drop the next year's first round pick on a QB he may never coach?
Nothing you’ve said convinces me.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
but as I've argued multiple times on this board, giving up more than the Chiefs were offering to move up one slot on a guy with a lot of questions would have been a bad choice at the time.
The fact that you still believe this despite evidence showing otherwise is insane, lol.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Nothing you’ve said convinces me.
It's still some baffling 20/20 hindsight to me. It's wild to fault someone for not making intense overinvestments only because they might have worked out.

If Malik Willis ended up at 13, would you give up a first round pick and applaud the pick? I imagine you'd be in the same meltdown mode I would be.

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
Cardinals botched it up, period. But y’all got what y’all want, Kyler will be out of Az and we’ll have to start all over or draft someone we cannot develop because of Keim

Cardinals botched it up, period. But y’all got what y’all want, Kyler will be out of Az and we’ll have to start all over or draft someone we cannot develop because of Keim

Completely agree but keep in mind a few things.
Just my guess ! ! ! But Steve Keim got paid and is probably not to worried about anything else and might still be at a bar in Scottsdale buying rounds since he got his money.
As far as the people posting on this board goes. Some of them have never forgiven Kyler Murray for having the audacity to get drafted number 1 and replace Josh Rosen. So Nothing Murray does will ever be good enough. I'm guessing some (not all) of the Murray haters posting would Love to have the Cards trade Murray to the Falcons straight across for Josh Rosen, then sign Rosen to a 50 million dollar a year contract all guaranteed and change the team name to "The Chosen Rosens" smh.
Honestly though, NFL is a business where human beings are quite disposable so, I don't blame Kyler Murray for trying to get as much money as he can anymore than I blame the Cardinals trying to pay as little as possible...
Capitalism at it's best. I just hope it all works out..

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I was under the impression that you draft a QB in R1 so you can have him for 5 years at a lower price while you build your team up with the money you save.

Have we built up this team at all with the money we saved? Or did all that savings go to Keim?

I guess I just don't get redoing players contracts when they have 2 or 3 years left on them. They should have signed the dang contract if they weren't going to give 100% each year while fulfilling it. If a team likes and wants to keep a player during the last year of his contract, it's then that they should be expected to start negotiations.

Maybe sports players have no respect or loyalty to their words, written or spoken. I remember back around 1990, when Garth Brooks, before being well known, had agreed to play at I believe it was the State Fair here in AZ for $7500. A few months after agreeing to that and months before the date of the concert, he became ultra famous with top hits and was worth a small fortune. Could have played any where for six figures rather than the $7500. But he said that since he had signed the deal, he would honor it because it was the right thing to do.

Some folks just have class, and others not.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You would be wrong. It's being well reported on 98.7 that Murray's agent offered a contract based on Mahomes and Allen's contract. The Cardinals sat on it, the new deals came in and they yanked it because it was now below market
Or, you know, the reports have it wrong. You don't know any more about this than anybody else, Chris.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not really intending to back Vacard's point, but as I've argued multiple times on this board, giving up more than the Chiefs were offering to move up one slot on a guy with a lot of questions would have been a bad choice at the time.

But I feel like I'll be having this discussion until Mahomes and Watson retire, if not longer.
We wouldn't have had to give up that much to move 1 slot; you pay more to move up higher.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
We wouldn't have had to give up that much to move 1 slot; you pay more to move up higher.
I disagree, you pay what you have to pay based on the offer. This isn't Madden, you're not bidding against a computer.

If you're a team sitting there at 10 or 12 (Mahomes and Watson's draft spots), and you apparently don't covet any players all that much that you're willing to move to the back end of the first round, what's the more appealing deal? An extra first and a third/an extra first? Or the Cardinals offering a 3rd or 4th rounder at best?

In that situation, you have to outbid those first rounders, and especially in the case of Mahomes, a first and a third. Arians even vaguely alludes to it here.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Which teams would be interested in trading for Kyler Murray?

This article presumes plenty of if’s coming to fruition. I know that. Regardless, I’m going there.

If Kyler Murray asks to be traded and if the Cardinals are willing to do it, who would make a move for him?

The most obvious candidates would be the three finalists for Deshaun Watson who didn’t get the new Browns quarterback: Panthers, Falcons, and Saints. This assumes that each of those teams would be OK with a quarterback who is on the very short side, by NFL starting quarterback standards.

The Eagles possibly would be interested. In the AFC, Texans also would potentially explore the possibility.

Whoever does it would have to be willing to pay Murray what he wants financially and to give the Cardinals what they would require by way of compensation. That could be more than some teams would want to invest.

And that ultimately may be the best thing the Cardinals have going for them. If no one wants to pay Murray or to give the Cardinals what they’d want to make a trade happen, no one will come to the table and Murray will continue to be a Cardinal. At least for now.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the team first and foremost

It's nice to have good/great players that make up our team for us to watch

But I'm ready to move on from KM if it comes to that

Trade him and get the most we can

Then bring in another young QB that wants to play for us and will work hard

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A Kyler Murray holdout would get very expensive

Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray reportedly won’t play under the current terms of the fourth year of his rookie contract. This implies that he’ll hold out, if he doesn’t get a new deal that he deems acceptable.

He has every right to do that. Despite the terms of his individual contract, the Collective Bargaining Agreement gives him the right to withhold services in order to get whatever he wants, whether a new contract from the Cardinals or a trade to a team that will give him one.

If he ultimately holds out, what will it cost? Per the CBA, he’d be fined $40,000 per day. Far more importantly, he’d lose the vast majority of his 2022 compensation — a 90-man roster bonus in the amount of $4.524 million — if he doesn’t report by the third day of training camp.

If he’s willing to forfeit $4.524 million by not showing up by the third day of camp, why not also give up his $765,000 salary and sit out the whole year? Well, doing so would result in the forfeiture of more than $5.8 million in paid but unearned signing bonus money.

So, yes, it could get very expensive for Murray to stay away in order to force a new contract or a trade. Still, the overriding question would be whether the Cardinals would relent and trade or pay him, or whether the Cardinals would take the old-school play-for-us-or-play-for-no-one approach, squatting on Murray’s rights indefinitely.

If that happens, Murray has an ace in the hole. He can go play baseball in the Oakland A’s system. If push comes to shove, maybe he will.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The agent pulled the offer off the table because it was comically low after the new deals were signed.

You want to be pissed at someone, blame the ineptness of the team in how they handled this off season.

Kyler got a fat raise by doing nothing.

The offer was apparently 45m.

Only two new contract has been more than that, or even close, and that's Watson and the best QB in the league, Aaron Rodgers.

The market hasn't changed. If anything Stafford for 40m and Carr for 35m helps.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you're contemplating trading Kyler you don't do it this year when the QB market sucks

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray's agent is tryign to get the best deal he can for his agent from a team that has a history of being difficult to negotiate with. He's clearly made mistakes he's being too public and he's demanding things beyond the norm in terms of timing. But as someone else said, someone always has to be first. the guarantee for Watson totally out of the norm for example. So if you're an agent in this situation you would not be doing your job if you're not trying to get the deal for your guy.

Was watching a bit on tv last night they seem to think Murray won't actually get traded and the guy made a point. he said my sources tell me Murray's trade prospects are slim because the Cards asking price is so high. He then said "which tells you how good the Cards think he is, so you would hope the 2 sides will eventually agree."

as a Cards fan since 1974 I've just seen this crap so many times. First team to lose a true free agent to another team(Norm Thompson), lose players to other leagues(Namath), potential franchise QB to knee injury(Rosenbach), franchise QB to hip injury(Lomax). Draft a QB #1 and then trade him without ever signing him(Stouffer). This stuff has gone on and on with this franchise. Murray and his agent have blame here but honestly as a Cards fan I can't blame any agent who sees the history of this franchise and assumes they will get it done so don't push.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson