Sorry if Previously Posted

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
George Karlaftis has visited with the Cards. As you may have seen I‘m concerned he didn’t do the 3 cone drill which many evaluators consider the gold standard for evaluating pass rushers. Not sure this means much because, including the Combine, he’s met with at least 10 teams.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who would you equate his game to? Is he a realistic target for the Cards?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
George Karlaftis has visited with the Cards. As you may have seen I‘m concerned he didn’t do the 3 cone drill which many evaluators consider the gold standard for evaluating pass rushers. Not sure this means much because, including the Combine, he’s met with at least 10 teams.
Another red flag for me.

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Purdue, Karlaftis played primarily as a stand-up field rusher in co-defensive coordinator Brad Lambert’s scheme, also seeing snaps as a three-technique on the interior to take advantage of his quickness and strength. A Greece native who moved to the U.S. in 2014, he developed a love for football and shows an unmatched work ethic, which helped him log 30.5 TFL and 14.5 sacks over his 27 games in a Purdue uniform. Karlaftis’ hands are not only physical and violent, but they’re well-timed and strategic to get the offense off schedule. For a player with his play speed, strength and physicality, he misses too many tackles and needs to become a more controlled finisher. Overall, Karlaftis doesn’t have elite length or athletic twitch, but he has NFL power, effort and hand work to break down the rhythm of blockers and be disruptive. He is a starting NFL defensive end in a traditional four-man front.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Purdue, Karlaftis played primarily as a stand-up field rusher in co-defensive coordinator Brad Lambert’s scheme, also seeing snaps as a three-technique on the interior to take advantage of his quickness and strength. A Greece native who moved to the U.S. in 2014, he developed a love for football and shows an unmatched work ethic, which helped him log 30.5 TFL and 14.5 sacks over his 27 games in a Purdue uniform. Karlaftis’ hands are not only physical and violent, but they’re well-timed and strategic to get the offense off schedule. For a player with his play speed, strength and physicality, he misses too many tackles and needs to become a more controlled finisher. Overall, Karlaftis doesn’t have elite length or athletic twitch, but he has NFL power, effort and hand work to break down the rhythm of blockers and be disruptive. He is a starting NFL defensive end in a traditional four-man front.
KVB????

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I thought this but when you watch him he played a bunch of wide stood up rusher like an OLB, and Purdue ran a 3-4 in 2020 although Karlaftis played only 2 games.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Stout doesn't like him, that's a blue flag for me lately :p

I said Watt before, but Ryan Kerrigan is a better fit for his game. Strong, try hard guy who plays with extreme effort. I like Karlaftis. I think he's a high floor player.

"He plays hard and he's very tough, but where is the productivity? Usually with big effort guys we have to sift through big production numbers and figure out how much of it is translatable. With ????, there just isn't as much production as you expect.

An NFL head scout's predraft evaluation of --- Markus Golden.

54 career starts and 44.5 sacks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
"He plays hard and he's very tough, but where is the productivity? Usually with big effort guys we have to sift through big production numbers and figure out how much of it is translatable. With ????, there just isn't as much production as you expect.

I remember watching a Mizzou game the year before Golden was drafted. The announcer specifically mentioned him as a player the team loved.

Michael Sam and Shane Ray were much more hyped, but Golden has been very productive. A solid #2 pass rusher for sure, but would be a great #3.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember watching a Mizzou game the year before Golden was drafted. The announcer specifically mentioned him as a player the team loved.

Michael Sam and Shane Ray were much more hyped, but Golden has been very productive. A solid #2 pass rusher for sure, but would be a great #3.
Golden has some qualities as pass rusher but isnt athletic and he is extremely slow, can't help against the run
There is a reason why he never gather much interest from other teams

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My favorite for the Cards is OLB David Ojabo, Michigan. He may not see much action this year due to an achilles tear but that is why he will drop and perhaps be there at #23. IMO he could become an impact edge rusher but it won't happen this season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Seems like a rich man’s Zach Allen.
Yeah that's a ok comparison...but I think he's more of an edge, less of a tweener. He's quicker and faster than Allen.

I wouldn't be disappointed in drafting Karlaftis. While I doubt he's a star, I doubt he sucks either.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Golden was also drafted at the end of the second round, which is a more appropriate spot to take a risk.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
He's played on some Purdue teams with no talent whatsoever around him. I'd have no problem taking him at 23, although my preference for this pick is a DT or WR.
I agree. I'm not sure how you measure production but in the games I watched he was always a problem for the other teams. Very powerful player and I remember seeing him bull rush tackles. He might not have gotten the sack but he made quarterbacks uncomfortable. I got the impression that he put some fear into opponents because of his aggression.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
My favorite for the Cards is OLB David Ojabo, Michigan. He may not see much action this year due to an achilles tear but that is why he will drop and perhaps be there at #23. IMO he could become an impact edge rusher but it won't happen this season.
I like him too but not at 23 because of the injury. I mentioned him another thread that I'd like for the Cards to try and trade up, if necessary because I don't know where he's rated, in round 2 and grab him. He'd be worth it.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m not big on comparisons as there are so many important characteristics and all never match. This is a strong, high effort guy who has some upside as he improves technique. That said, I’m not sold on his agility. He looks stiff to me, which means he usually won‘t get a clean path To the QB. It’s true he had little support at Purdue, but I didn’t see him face double teams. I think 23 is too early though some see him earlier. He’ll give you all he’s got, I’m just not sure he’s got enough. He’d be a risk in my book when surer things will be on the board.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave