Dwayne Haskins killed in car accident

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why? He was there to train with Steelers teammates.
He’s not talking about being in Florida. He’s talking about being on a highway trying to cross traffic. It’s a fairly unusual set of circumstances. I know in my almost 50 years of existence, I’ve never felt the need to try and cross a major highway/freeway. I too believe more details will emerge.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He’s not talking about being in Florida. He’s talking about being on a highway trying to cross traffic. It’s a fairly unusual set of circumstances. I know in my almost 50 years of existence, I’ve never felt the need to try and cross a major highway/freeway. I too believe more details will emerge.
Fair.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know of 2 similar instances in my life when someone I knew attempted to run across a highway. Neither situation was a pretty one. One resulted in a fatality & the other person had a miserable life because of the injuries he sustained. In both cases, the people that made such horrible decisions were like 15 years old, and obviously immature. At 24, Haskins should have known better. Very sadly, it appears he didn’t.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are the same people going after Schefter for his "insensitive" (since deleted) tweet when reporting Haskins' death going to deal with the questions and possible answers we get regarding why he chose to play early morning human Frogger on a busy interstate?

It's a tragedy anytime a 24-year-old passes away, but many might not like the answers that are discovered after authorities dig into why this happened.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How are the same people going after Schefter for his "insensitive" (since deleted) tweet when reporting Haskins' death going to deal with the questions and possible answers we get regarding why he chose to play early morning human Frogger on a busy interstate?

It's a tragedy anytime a 24-year-old passes away, but many might not like the answers that are discovered after authorities dig into why this happened.
Because bringing up tough subjects for people who don't want to deal with their own tough situations is difficult... so they inevitably lash out. IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Doesn't the use of the word "Frogger" above imply it was a game?

I haven't read anything to indicate this.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the use of the word "Frogger" above imply it was a game?

I haven't read anything to indicate this.
Not implying it was a game. Just a description. Anyone trying to cross a busy highway on an early morning is playing human Frogger. Not saying he was doing it as a game, but it leans toward mental health issues or suicide. Not something a reasonable person does.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not implying it was a game. Just a description. Anyone trying to cross a busy highway on an early morning is playing human Frogger. Not saying he was doing it as a game, but it leans toward mental health issues or suicide. Not something a reasonable person does.

I simply think there must be a better way to describe it than by using the name of a game.

We don't know all the facts.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup. Or just really dumb/impaired. I have a concrete and asphalt company. We’ve got 34 dump trucks. Peterbuilts don’t sneak up on you…

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ex-Cowboys executive Gil Brandt apologizes for comments regarding Dwayne Haskins’ death :: Dallas Morning News
The longtime vice president of player personnel issued an apology via Twitter on Saturday afternoon for comments made hours earlier in the wake of the tragic death of Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haksins. “This morning while learning of Dwayne Haskins’ passing, I reacted carelessly and insensitively on a radio interview,” the 90-year-old Brandt posted. “I want to apologize to Mr. Haskins’ family and anyone who heard my poor choice of words. I truly apologize. My heart goes out to his family at this difficult time.”

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

My first thought on hearing the scant details was "How do you not see a dump truck on a highway at 6.30am?" so it wouldn't surprise me if there was more to it.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
My first thought on hearing the scant details was "How do you not see a dump truck on a highway at 6.30am?" so it wouldn't surprise me if there was more to it.
Not always just about seeing an oncoming vehicle or train, but usually about misjudging speed or thinking the vehicle is going to stop.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not always just about seeing an oncoming vehicle or train, but usually about misjudging speed or thinking the vehicle is going to stop.

You would hope a QB's spacial awareness and judgement of speed was up there in the top 1%.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which gets back to there being something else to it. In normal circumstances, nobody old enough to operate a vehicle should have an issue comprehending those things.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
not defending his comments at all, but the guy is 90 years old. My Dad is 86 and I can’t believe some of the things I’ve heard him say lately. Stuff that he has never said before. I am guessing his age played a big factor in saying something so stupid and insensitive

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It was 6:30am so it was dark and traffic was likely very light. So, I'm throwing the suicide implications out the window. I'm curious as to why it's being investigated as a traffic homicide. Doesn't homicide imply intent to kill someone?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was 6:30am so it was dark and traffic was likely very light. So, I'm throwing the suicide implications out the window. I'm curious as to why it's being investigated as a traffic homicide. Doesn't homicide imply intent to kill someone?
No.

Homicide is an act of a person killing another person. A homicide requires only a volitional act that causes the death of another, and thus a homicide may result from accidental, reckless, or negligent acts even if there is no intent to cause harm.