NFL says all teams must add minority offensive coach, expands Rooney Rule to include women

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Did you realize that over 80% of current minorities are already on the defensive side of the ball? They had to create this rule because they obviously weren't getting as many opportunities on that side of the ball.

Oh, and everyone watch themselves...
I just find that to be silly. It really makes the entire thing look dumb.

We are supposed to believe that up to this point the NFL is sitting there saying..."ok, we can have minority coaches...in fact we have been trying to increase the number of minority coaches for years...BUT NOT ON OFFENSE! Non-white coaches are for defense and special teams only!!"

Either the NFL has a diversity issue, or they don't. Increase opportunities for minority candidates and then hire on merit.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just find that to be silly. It really makes the entire thing look dumb.

We are supposed to believe that up to this point the NFL is sitting there saying..."ok, we can have minority coaches...in fact we have been trying to increase the number of minority coaches for years...BUT NOT ON OFFENSE! Non-white coaches are for defense and special teams only!!"

Either the NFL has a diversity issue, or they don't. Increase opportunities for minority candidates and then hire on merit.
THEY DO. That's WHY they need these rules. I didn't think this was so hard to understand.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
THEY DO. That's WHY they need these rules. I didn't think this was so hard to understand.
But only for offensive coaches?? Do you not see my point how stupid it is to pigeon hole what type of minority coach a team must hire. Why couldn't they say that teams must hire a minority candidate...why did they have to specify "as an offensive coach"? So highly qualified defensive or special teams coaches get left out? Or minority front office candidates??

By singling out a requirement for a minority offensive coach....you make people think "why should it matter what they coach?...I thought they wanted more minority coaches period".

Why not go a step further. Why not say that teams must have a minority WR coach...or RB coach specifically?

This is getting to the point of "we want more minorities enrolled in our college...but the ones that are aren't choosing the majors we think are best...they keep choosing law when we think it would be better for them, and for our stats if they were med students. Let's require the med school to take more minority candidates "

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How about let’s just get the best people for the job whatever their immutable characteristics
There are a large number of people who spend a big chunk of their lives telling anyone who will listen that this idea cant/won't happen. They are almost never the people actually doing any hiring of minorities.

Its called virtue signaling. They feel like they are helping minority candidates by constantly telling them they are being discriminated against and can't get a fair shake unless these non-minority whistle blowers take up their cause and make a rule. It makes those people feel very important and satisfied with themselves.

It's the same people that have never thought about or attempted to do anything to help a Native American, but would be the first to yell at everyone about why the Redskins needed to change their name.

It's not about helping anyone. It's about being able to tell people you wanted to help someone

Last edited:

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How I this different than if there became a rule that every NBA team now needs to hire 1 white player and 1 woman to be on the roster?

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Or one person who has been designated as physically disabled to your coaching staff? Every type of person from every walk of life gets discriminated against at one point or another.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or one person who has been designated as physically disabled to your coaching staff? Every type of person from every walk of life gets discriminated against at one point or another.
Sure… but some get systematically discriminated more than others.

To pretend otherwise isn’t just ignorant. It speaks to something darker, IMO.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sure… but some get systematically discriminated more than others.

To pretend otherwise isn’t just ignorant. It speaks to something darker, IMO.
So I guess the answer could never be that there is just simply a smaller pool of applicants? Maybe only there’s 32 jobs, and 96 men applied and only 4 women applied. So that should mean 1 woman should be hired in that merit alone?

I would love to know how many of xyz gender or race applied before drawing conclusion. I don’t believe that’s a dark notion. If the applicants made sense number wise then we do in fact have a big problem, but if it’s 90 men tried out for the Phoenix Suns Point Guard position and 10 women did.. and it just so happened to be that 2 individuals got the job, and they happen to be both men being they were best qualified then I don’t see a problem.

— and I’m not saying there isn’t a problem in the NFL coaching hiring a process necessarily, I just don’t feel forcing a hire is the answer or a step forward.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But only for offensive coaches?? Do you not see my point how stupid it is to pigeon hole what type of minority coach a team must hire. Why couldn't they say that teams must hire a minority candidate...why did they have to specify "as an offensive coach"? So highly qualified defensive or special teams coaches get left out? Or minority front office candidates??

By singling out a requirement for a minority offensive coach....you make people think "why should it matter what they coach?...I thought they wanted more minority coaches period".

Why not go a step further. Why not say that teams must have a minority WR coach...or RB coach specifically?

This is getting to the point of "we want more minorities enrolled in our college...but the ones that are aren't choosing the majors we think are best...they keep choosing law when we think it would be better for them, and for our stats if they were med students. Let's require the med school to take more minority candidates "
It’s because they don’t just want more minority coaches - they want more minority coaches to have shots as head coaching and GM gigs. And my understanding is that at present there’s a larger percentage of those roles coming from the offensive side of the ball where there’s a lesser number of minorities being hired.

It’s like if a company has two career tracks. Career track A lead to management and leadership positions all the time and track B rarely did. The company hired few minorities for A, but a lot of minorities for B so their hiring of minorities overall looked good, but it was unrealistic to expect many to make it to management or leadership positions due to the track for which they were hired.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There are a large number of people who spend a big chunk of their lives telling anyone who will listen that this idea cant/won't happen. They are almost never the people actually doing any hiring of minorities.

Its called virtue signaling. They feel like they are helping minority candidates by constantly telling them they are being discriminated against and can't get a fair shake unless these non-minority whistle blowers take up their cause and make a rule. It makes those people feel very important and satisfied with themselves.

It's the same people that have never thought about or attempted to do anything to help a Native American, but would be the first to yell at everyone about why the Redskins needed to change their name.

It's not about helping anyone. It's about being able to tell people you wanted to help someone
There are some people that want to believe virtue signaling is a thing so they can feel good about (a) not doing anything to help those less fortunate due to institutional racism; and (b) not only don’t help but actively work against fighting racism by making up things like “virtue signaling” to downgrade the reality of institutional racism.

Guess what? People who walk the walk aren’t “signaling,” it’s called actual virtue. You should try it sometime as you’ll be a net positive for society and it actually makes you feel good about yourself.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So I guess the answer could never be that there is just simply a smaller pool of applicants? Maybe only there’s 32 jobs, and 96 men applied and only 4 women applied. So that should mean 1 woman should be hired in that merit alone?

I would love to know how many of xyz gender or race applied before drawing conclusion. I don’t believe that’s a dark notion. If the applicants made sense number wise then we do in fact have a big problem, but if it’s 90 men tried out for the Phoenix Suns Point Guard position and 10 women did.. and it just so happened to be that 2 individuals got the job, and they happen to be both men being they were best qualified then I don’t see a problem.

— and I’m not saying there isn’t a problem in the NFL coaching hiring a process necessarily, I just don’t feel forcing a hire is the answer or a step forward.
Do you really think NFL would be doing this if there wasn’t a problem? It’s the friggin NFL. They’re kinda a big deal and for the most part do what they want until someone catches them with their pants down.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
It's stupid. Must be a minority offensive coach? So a minority defensive coach is no good? What about a minority assistant gm? Or some other front office job?

If the nfl wants more opportunities for minority candidates fine...stop pigeon holing people into what roles they have to have.

The NFL is not impervious to ridiculously silly decisions

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Do you really think NFL would be doing this if there wasn’t a problem? It’s the friggin NFL. They’re kinda a big deal and for the most part do what they want until someone catches them with their pants down.
Yes I do.. purely on an optics level and marketing level it helps them regardless if there is an issue or not.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You’re right.. let’s assume the worse and skip any of the details we are not privy to and burn them down! That logic hasn’t repeatedly got egg on the face all throughout the pandemic
Don’t know what the pandemic has to do with racism in the nfl, but hope it helped getting it outta your system. Sorry for triggering you. Enjoy your day.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Don’t know what the pandemic has to do with racism in the nfl, but hope it helped getting it outta your system. Sorry for triggering you. Enjoy your day.
Lol such a twister.. great movie by the way. I hope you have a spectacular day as well through those lenses.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's no point in continuing. You can't see the forest for the trees.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see why I left this board originally. God forbid you have an opinion other than the approved one of the most vocal people or you will just be shouted down and forced to comply with the group think.
There are people discussing it from both ends. No one is shouting down other opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose