Arizona Cardinals have interest in bringing WR A.J. Green back

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's crazy to me after seeing a full season of an unreliable AJ Green, we may have ZERO other ideas but to bring him back.
What’s even scarier is that he’s been connected to other teams. He might not even be all that interested in coming back.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The huge contracts offered Hill and others have priced Cards out of market for a FA WR. That is moving them to resign AJ at a low price. Probably a good idea. Do hope they draft a WR too. Not sure they will having just 3 picks that you would expect to ever be starters. CB, DT, IOL is about all we could hope for this time around. Not very exciting really unless some top stud falls down the board and we are smart enough to take advantage of that. I am sure all of us could list 22 players picked before us and still find someone who might turn out to be a real catch, so to speak. The main key is probably how many QBs are taken before our pick. If that number is 2 or 3, we are probably looking good.

I just did a quick mock with 2 qbs going before our pick and we had these 8 players left to pick from to name a few:
Tyler Linderbaum
Kenyon Green
Trent McDuffie
Andrew Booth Jr.
Zion Johnson
Bernhard Raimann
Jahan Dotson

A quick 2nd mock effort on a different site produced these 8 to pick from:

Trent McDuffie (CB) Washington
Garrett Wilson (WR) Ohio State
Trevor Penning (OT) Northern Iowa
Chris Olave (WR) Ohio State
George Karlaftis (DE/OLB) Purdue
Treylon Burks (WR) Arkansas
Kingsley Enagbare (DE/OLB) South Carolina
Jordan Davis (DT) Georgia

A quick 3rd mock effort with a sightly different big board produced these 8 to pick from:

Drake Jackson (DE/OLB) USC
Roger McCreary (CB) Auburn
DeMarvin Leal (DT) Texas A&M
Andrew Booth Jr. (CB) Clemson
Kaiir Elam (CB) Florida

So you see, no matter how you do it, there will be a couple plums for us to choose from. Now that I said that, it just dawned on me who we have making those picks. Oh well, never mind!
IMO...we aint drafting a CB.... just did, with Jeff Gladney,..he is our rookie.

and DT is usually one of the best positions to fill with a 34 year old in summer... the big dudes can usually play into their thirties.

I am expecting IOL, WR, Edge...or maybe WR, IOL, edge... in the first three rounds...

cant see keim giving VJ another first rounder to sit on this season, plus it isnt likely there will be great value at our spot in the first two rounds. The early value is all on offense and fortunately thats what we need.

but a guy like Logan Hall out of Houston might be a good pick in round 3

I mean,...unless one of those top guys slide....

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're still paying him, so it's kind of like he is still here.

It would be crazy if we signed him again and had to pay him for two different contracts in the same year.
We’re not “paying” him. He just has dead money on the books due to the voidable years. That money has already been paid. No different then Hop restructuring and getting his money upfront already. Yet next year his cap number is 30+ million. Its funky accounting and pretty much every team in the league is doing it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, except we'll sign him back and Keim will consider the WR position fine. Just like he apparently sees the OL as fine. We'll get older, bring back another guy who wilted at the end and who had severe mental lapses, and we'll supposedly be fine lol Can't believe we'd be stupid enough to just run it back, only not quite as much. I'd laugh if it didn't make you cry.
At this point Keim has convinced Bidwill( and himself) that we are good enough to bring the gang back in spite of losing Jones, Kirk and Edmonds.

Where are their replacements? The draft? The dollar store free agent bargain basement? Are we to believe Gardeck is going to replace Jones? Are we to believe a rookie Wr is going to step in and replace Kirks production…IF we draft a Wr? Or is a trio of Hopkins, Green, Wesely and Moore is a championship combination?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Vikings game there's a play that just totally summed up Green. They had a CB who in the game was having back spasms, Bashaud Breeland. Locked up man to man Green beats Breeland untouched off the line down the right sideline. Kyler drops the ball in perfectly for a 29 yard gain and Breeland tackles Green. A younger AJ Green scores on that ball but Kyler knew Green doesn't have that gear anymore he hit him in stride but even an injured Breeland easily made up the cushion despite completely whiffing at the LOS and caught him.

That was the 2nd game of the season but that happened over and over last season, AJ won at the LOS but his lack of top end speed now allowed the D to just recover on him. I recall in some of the game threads people saying Kyler has to throw that ball more in front etc, it was really apparent why he didn't he realized AJ doesn't have the gear to separate and get it if he beats the guy off the LOS you have to throw it to him right now, or the guy is going to recover and catch him very quickly.
This. Green does not strike fear in opposing defenses. He’s not going to consistently beat anybody deep unless the perfect match-up/ play call or blown coverage.
He WAS our 3rd string Wr. If he returns he would be elevated ( at the moment) our #2 which would be a disaster.

We need speed and lots of it. Kirk is gone and not many believe Wesely is the guy.

But fear not. I’m sure Keim has his eye on a WR. He likes in the draft.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This. Green does not strike fear in opposing defenses. He’s not going to consistently beat anybody deep unless the perfect match-up/ play call or blown coverage.
He WAS our 3rd string Wr. If he returns he would be elevated ( at the moment) our #2 which would be a disaster.

We need speed and lots of it. Kirk is gone and not many believe Wesely is the guy.

But fear not. I’m sure Keim has his eye on a WR. He likes in the draft.

He can beat guys with his length and he showed he can still get some separation
The main problem of him, he doesn't look focused in many parts of the game

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can beat guys with his length and he showed he can still get some separation
The main problem of him, he doesn't look focused in many parts of the game

he beats them initially but then they just catch him easily after. He's got value absolutely but he doesn't have the speed we need

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the "AJ Green can't separate any more" people

via NGS his average separation was 2.5 yards.

Comparisons

Deandre Hopkins - 2.8
DJ Moore - 2.7
Stefon Diggs- 2.7
Mike Evans - 2.7
DK Metcalf - 2.6
Courtland Sutton - 2.6
OBJ - 2.6
Amari Cooper - 2.5
Mike Williams - 2.5
Terry McLaurin 2.5
Julio Jones - 2.4
Michael Gallup - 2.4
MVS - 2.4
Tee Higgins - 2.3
Allen Robinson - 1.9
Kenny Golladay - 1.7

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The huge contracts offered Hill and others have priced Cards out of market for a FA WR. That is moving them to resign AJ at a low price. Probably a good idea. Do hope they draft a WR too. Not sure they will having just 3 picks that you would expect to ever be starters. CB, DT, IOL is about all we could hope for this time around. Not very exciting really unless some top stud falls down the board and we are smart enough to take advantage of that. I am sure all of us could list 22 players picked before us and still find someone who might turn out to be a real catch, so to speak. The main key is probably how many QBs are taken before our pick. If that number is 2 or 3, we are probably looking good.

I just did a quick mock with 2 qbs going before our pick and we had these 8 players left to pick from to name a few:
Tyler Linderbaum
Kenyon Green
Trent McDuffie
Andrew Booth Jr.
Zion Johnson
Bernhard Raimann
Jahan Dotson

A quick 2nd mock effort on a different site produced these 8 to pick from:

Trent McDuffie (CB) Washington
Garrett Wilson (WR) Ohio State
Treylon Burks (WR) Arkansas
Kingsley Enagbare (DE/OLB) South Carolina
Jordan Davis (DT) Georgia

A quick 3rd mock effort with a sightly different big board produced these 8 to pick from:

Drake Jackson (DE/OLB) USC
Roger McCreary (CB) Auburn
DeMarvin Leal (DT) Texas A&M
Andrew Booth Jr. (CB) Clemson
Kaiir Elam (CB) Florida

So you see, no matter how you do it, there will be a couple plums for us to choose from. Now that I said that, it just dawned on me who we have making those picks. Oh well, never mind!
How much of a diff is there betweem olave and wilson the wrs from buckeyes? Speed im guessin?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
How much of a diff is there betweem olave and wilson the wrs from buckeyes? Speed im guessin?

Supposed Wilson can do more than Olave, is faster, and more creative. Olave is an inch taller, has good hands, but appears less explosive. Sounds to me like Wilson is the clear pick over Olave, exciting vs solid.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
New concept!

NFL Job Sharing!

Bring back AJ
Sign Julio...
Give them 4mil each.

Play them alternating weeks.
Add in a contract stipulation that should they have to play consecutive games they get 100k game bonus.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
New concept!

NFL Job Sharing!

Bring back AJ
Sign Julio...
Give them 4mil each.

Play them alternating weeks.
Add in a contract stipulation that should they have to play consecutive games they get 100k game bonus.
I actually like the premise of your idea, but would rotate both on game day. Maybe a "friendly" competition to out-do each other on game day, to the benefit of the Cardinals. 100 yards today? 100K bonus. A TD? 50K bonus. Something like that.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
“When a player tells you who he is…believe him.” - Bill Parcells.

Hope I’m wrong, but I AJ showed us who he is, and I’m afraid. I believe him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We’re not “paying” him. He just has dead money on the books due to the voidable years. That money has already been paid. No different then Hop restructuring and getting his money upfront already. Yet next year his cap number is 30+ million. Its funky accounting and pretty much every team in the league is doing it.
What he means is he’s still negatively impacting our cap - which is all we fans really care about. Who cares what actual dollars are going out from mike’s pocket? All we care about is the cap and that an unsigned older average receiver is literally taking up cap space.

Now I’m not complaining about that in concept - I wish we were one of the better teams managing our cap like wizards. But we seem to not be. We are a team that seems to mismanage our cap, timing of free agents, etc to the point that we’ve signed one free agent in gladney that didn’t even play last year whilst losing several key contributors.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What he means is he’s still negatively impacting our cap - which is all we fans really care about. Who cares what actual dollars are going out from mike’s pocket? All we care about is the cap and that an unsigned older average receiver is literally taking up cap space.

Now I’m not complaining about that in concept - I wish we were one of the better teams managing our cap like wizards. But we seem to not be. We are a team that seems to mismanage our cap, timing of free agents, etc to the point that we’ve signed one free agent in gladney that didn’t even play last year whilst losing several key contributors.
This why SK deserves that extension :mrgreen:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA