What to do with Kyler Murray

What should the Cardinals do regarding Kyler Murray?

• Total voters

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what is alarming. Not hating or placing the fault on the guy responsible for how bleak this organization is due to incompetent signings & drafting is wild. The fact you & others have Kyler & Keim as equal blame or even Kyler above Keim is wilder.

Not getting a package similar to Watson.

No Keim? Sure. Keim still in charge? Absolutely not.

Kyler gets traded. Some get excited for a week or two. What happens next? Bickering for the next 3-4 years still trying to look for a QB while continuing to analyze why our draft picks haven’t been living up to their draft status? All the while Keim is in charge? I’m not in that business.
I 100% get where your coming from and in ways I totally agree. For me it boils down to not wanting to lock in for another 6-8 years with Kyler when I don’t believe he is the gUy to take us to a championship. Sure he’s very fun to watch at times and will be exciting. But I want more. Even with a kings ransom is Keim the guy to bring us there? Doubtful. But in the end it boils down to do you believe in Kyler or not. You do and that’s totally cool I get it. I just don’t. If the price was high enough I’d be willing to roll the dice.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team definitely tries harder and spends way more money than it did in the SDS days. They still aren't great at it.
They have much more money to spend than they ever had during their time at SDS. ASU's restrictvie signage deals and control over other stadium revenue streams did not help the team.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I 100% get where your coming from and in ways I totally agree. For me it boils down to not wanting to lock in for another 6-8 years with Kyler when I don’t believe he is the gUy to take us to a championship. Sure he’s very fun to watch at times and will be exciting. But I want more. Even with a kings ransom is Keim the guy to bring us there? Doubtful. But in the end it boils down to do you believe in Kyler or not. You do and that’s totally cool I get it. I just don’t. If the price was high enough I’d be willing to roll the dice.
I don’t think you have to necessarily believe he’s the guy. I said multiple times that I have valid concerns about Kyler. The late season collapses, the running into sacks, & more. I want more from Kyler, too. But you know what I want even more than that? A better roster that has multiple cornerstones. A roster that isn’t dependent on 1-year-wonder FAs or middling draft picks. I want the SF & LA rosters. Talent wise, we’re so much further away than those two. Despite all of Kyler & even Kliff’s faults, I really think they are being undersold.

I’m not rolling jack with Keim in charge. I would feel a lot better with Kyler/Kliff in the picture without Keim than Keim in the picture without Kyler/Kliff. The latter will bring replicas of 2018 going forward.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have much more money to spend than they ever had during their time at SDS. ASU's restrictvie signage deals and control over other stadium revenue streams did not help the team.
I know. That is my point.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

My favorite comment:

Kyler Murray had his worst game playing in the biggest game in his NFL career so far. 0 TDs/2 INTs and 137 yards passing. How does he respond? You already know. $

PlayerHater

Veteran
Reaction score
The kid is too immature to throw a long term deal at right now IMO. The deal and money he wants should be reserved for a proven franchise QB. When people are questioning a number 1 picks maturity, ability to lead and win big games after 3 seasons in a system that was tailor-made for him, that's a big red flag. He needs to prove he can be a Joe Burrow type leader and actually play big in big games. Right now he is a immature project QB who has only proven he can win some regular season games when everything is going his way and play some hero ball from time to time.

If he matures next season, wins some big games, wins at least a playoff game or plays really well in one then yah offer him a big contract.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just read that a team has to place all the guaranteed money in an escrow account. Can the Bidwills/Cardinals put or even be willing to put a quarter billion in the bank to sign Murray to a long term guaranteed contract?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I just read that a team has to place all the guaranteed money in an escrow account. Can the Bidwills/Cardinals put or even be willing to put a quarter billion in the bank to sign Murray to a long term guaranteed contract?
I think that's an old rule that was removed with the last CBA.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You could make the case Murray is already a home run, because when he's healthy and at his best, he's a top-10 dual threat, and he's certainly made Arizona relevant. But he's finished three straight years either hurt or in a slump, and his recent contract demands suggest friction with a team he's yet to take past the wild-card round. Jones is much closer to being a miss, considering his penchant for turnovers, but let's give him one more audition under Brian Daboll. Haskins flamed out almost immediately.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
General manager Steve Keim seems to have three options with Murray: Do nothing and deal with a disgruntled quarterback; give him a massive new contract; or trade Murray to the Panthers for a boatload of picks, then send a late-round pick to Cleveland for Mayfield.

That third option sounds intriguing. Take a bundle of Panthers draft picks, including No. 6 this year. Take a flier on Mayfield. And if it doesn’t work out, Mayfield is gone after a year, and you still have multiple first-round picks in 2023 and potentially 2024 to find another quarterback.

The Cardinals seem to want to stick with Murray and keep him as the face of the franchise. But if Murray continues to make noise about wanting out, the Cardinals might want to listen to him.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
Id argue that if Goff gets an asterisk, Murray does too. Goff excelled before teams figured him out.
Meh.... Goff succeeded because McVay was thinking for him, Play action and misdirection AND a healthy Todd Gurley. McVay was HC, the true OC, and he was helping his QB read offenses and calling plays in that short time window before the microphone is shut off. Defenses combatted that by waiting to show what they would defend until after Goff could get no help from McVay.
The only "figuring out" was isolating Goff from McVay's help, IMO.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Meh.... Goff succeeded because McVay was thinking for him, Play action and misdirection AND a healthy Todd Gurley. McVay was HC, the true OC, and he was helping his QB read offenses and calling plays in that short time window before the microphone is shut off. Defenses combatted that by waiting to show what they would defend until after Goff could get no help from McVay.
The only "figuring out" was isolating Goff from McVay's help, IMO.
Right. Teams learned that if you changed the look once the QB communication window shut off, Goff would struggle.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Actually option three is not such a bad idea. Think about the ramifications of it. First you off load what could be a potential problem going into the 2022 season and uncertainty at QB and the unanswered question of Murray being capable of leading this team to playoff success and you pick up a boat load of picks (both 2022 and 2023) to not only fill some holes in the team but to also make the team younger for the long term run. Imagine being able to fill the holes at WR, G, Edge and CB in the first three rounds and still be holding onto draft capital for 2023. You then test drive Mayfield at a cheap price and see what he has to offer.

If Mayfield works out you sign him to a long term contract and and move forward, if he doesn't you are sitting on some picks to move up in the draft (which is supposed to be a much better draft for QBs) and now you still have cap space because you are now on another cheap rookie contract at QB. You will need the cap space to fix the Oline since it's filled with UFAs in 2023. Look at what the Bengals did to fix their Oline this past FA season.

Is it a gamble, of course it is as none of this is guaranteed yet the potential to fix the team long term is there and probably worth the gamble. I for one am tired of seeing holes filled with prove it contracts and older veterans who have seen their better days long pass them by or whose potential for injury are much better than completing a entire season on the field.

The only fly in this ointment (and it's a pretty sizeable fly) is Keim and how much faith do you have in him being able to draft well enough to fill the holes and swing deals.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually option three is not such a bad idea. Think about the ramifications of it. First you off load what could be a potential problem going into the 2022 season and uncertainty at QB and the unanswered question of Murray being capable of leading this team to playoff success and you pick up a boat load of picks (both 2022 and 2023) to not only fill some holes in the team but to also make the team younger for the long term run. Imagine being able to fill the holes at WR, G, Edge and CB in the first three rounds and still be holding onto draft capital for 2023. You then test drive Mayfield at a cheap price and see what he has to offer.

If Mayfield works out you sign him to a long term contract and and move forward, if he doesn't you are sitting on some picks to move up in the draft (which is supposed to be a much better draft for QBs) and now you still have cap space because you are now on another cheap rookie contract at QB. You will need the cap space to fix the Oline since it's filled with UFAs in 2023. Look at what the Bengals did to fix their Oline this past FA season.

Is it a gamble, of course it is as none of this is guaranteed yet the potential to fix the team long term is there and probably worth the gamble. I for one am tired of seeing holes filled with prove it contracts and older veterans who have seen their better days long pass them by or whose potential for injury are much better than completing a entire season on the field.

The only fly in this ointment (and it's a pretty sizeable fly) is Keim and how much faith do you have in him being able to draft well enough to fill the holes and swing deals.
None.

That’s why trading Kyler doesn’t make sense in any of these scenarios. And that’s coming from someone who’s been pretty critical of Kyler’s play down the stretch the last couple years.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
None.

That’s why trading Kyler doesn’t make sense in any of these scenarios. And that’s coming from someone who’s been pretty critical of Kyler’s play down the stretch the last couple years.
It is a big fly in that ointment! ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose