Superstar?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is any one player that can do that anymore.
Well it depends on your definition of a contender I guess.

jokic is practically dragging that team by himself.

I am convinced Giannis can get any team To the playoffs. He is basically unguardable.

but no single player is good enough to win a title on their own.

hell jordan in his mid 20’s was the best ever and couldn’t do it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just looking over the list of the best players in the NBA, I gotta admit, I haven't been giving Booker enough credit. I think he's firmly in the top 10 overall conversation at least.

I'm just so impressed with his D. I thought he'd be an average defender at best, but he's actually producing positive value on that end.

As far as superstar, I think that label should be reserved for players that can go to any team at any time and instantly turn them into a contender. I don't think Book is there yet, but he could get there.
I think book is about 10,11,12 right now somewhere in that area.

but players like kawhi, Paul George, and dame could all knock him down a few places if they were healthy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it depends on your definition of a contender I guess.

jokic is practically dragging that team by himself.

I am convinced Giannis can get any team To the playoffs. He is basically unguardable.

but no single player is good enough to win a title on their own.

hell jordan in his mid 20’s was the best ever and couldn’t do it.

Yeah, Jokic does an amazing job for the Nuggets. That's why he won the MVP last season.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Consensus definition, not a private definition. BTW. I consider Luka overrated. His defense is limited, and he hogs the ball. I think I would rather have Booker. I think. Maybe.

The Mavs never had a major ball handler next to Luka so he had to be a heavy iso player. Same thing for younger Harden when the Rockets were first round fodder, so Morey brought in CP3 and they were a contender.

Not that Dinwiddie/Brunson are anything special but they can handle the rock and create to take pressure off Luka. The Mavs are also 6th in defensive rating.

Luka was probably the youngest superstar since Lebron but he was used to much better competition than US players at an early age.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker is absolutely a superstar but gets hosed by the refs most of the time! If not he would be averaging damn near 30 a game, he deserves many more FTs than he gets. You can’t breath on lebum without getting fouls called but Book gets whacked around and doesn’t get calls it’s ridiculous!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think in the last three years Book has raised himself from Star to All-Star to Superstar. That’s a great trajectory as he just starts hitting his prime, a guy who’s a top 10, if not 10ish player.

At the very least.

But there’s still another level up from superstar. That’s all-time great. The Giannis/Steph/Durant/LeBron/CP3 level that Embiid and Jokic are inching toward and that Kawhi is amongst (when healthy).

Book’s still a notch below those guys. But he’s grown immensely the last two years, that I don’t put it past him anymore. Kid’s freaking legit.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think in the last three years Book has raised himself from Star to All-Star to Superstar. That’s a great trajectory as he just starts hitting his prime, a guy who’s a top 10, if not 10ish player.

At the very least.
Agreed. He’s exceeded my expectations, but not my hopes. He’s hit those. More to come . . .

And he’s the most disrespected superstar in the game. And I’m not one to complain about the refs. Tonight was a great example.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I probably see fewer players as superstars than most do. Superstars are the most productive players in the league, the leaders on their team, players who generally keep their team in every game, and produce at a high level consistently.

Current Superstars -
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Stephen Curry
Luka Dončić (I waver on him because he's not a good defender)
Kevin Durant
Joel Embiid
Chris Paul (he picks and chooses his spot for asserting himself sometimes)
Lebron James (not much of a defender anymore)
Nikola Jokić (has some defensive issues, but his offense is stratospheric)

Used to be, but have slipped -

Anthony Davis (availability is the best ability)
James Harden
Kawhi Leonard (availability is the best ability)

A few questions you have to ask are -

Is he efficient? (Does he shoot a high percentage? Does he turn the ball over too much? Does he get the team more possessions through defense and rebounding?)

Does he play both ends of the floor? (A big strike against Trae Young. Booker has improved a great deal defensively since he was a teenager)

Is he dependable? (Does he play most nights, and when he does is he consistent)?

With the Suns I would say... Paul? - yes. Booker? - not quite there. Ayton & Bridges? - they both look to be longshots unless they develop more consistency offensively and become more assertive on that end of the court.

Superstars in Suns history - Connie Hawkins, Paul Westphal, Kevin Johnson, Charles Barkley, Steve Nash, Chris Paul

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When the Suns go through the playoffs this year like Sherman marching to the sea, It won't matter what they call Booker.
We don't need no stinking Superstars. The Lakers have Superstars, anyone afraid of them? Portland has a Superstar...
We have 7 to 10 men on the team that can step up to Star form on any given night. Next man up and all that rot.
Enjoy the cakewalk to the promised land. Our bench can beat most teams straight up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I probably see fewer players as superstars than most do. Superstars are the most productive players in the league, the leaders on their team, players who generally keep their team in every game, and produce at a high level consistently.

Current Superstars -
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Stephen Curry
Kevin Durant
Joel Embiid

James Harden

Is he efficient? (Does he shoot a high percentage? Does he turn the ball over too much? Does he get the team more possessions through defense and rebounding?)

Does he play both ends of the floor? (A big strike against Trae Young. Booker has improved a great deal defensively since he was a teenager)

Is he dependable? (Does he play most nights, and when he does is he consistent)?

With the Suns I would say... Paul? - yes. Booker? - not quite there. Ayton & Bridges? - they both look to be longshots unless they develop more consistency offensively and become more assertive on that end of the court.

Superstars in Suns history - Connie Hawkins, Paul Westphal, Kevin Johnson, Charles Barkley, Steve Nash, Chris Paul

I like your post but I think Booker is there.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Current Superstars -
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Stephen Curry
Kevin Durant
Joel Embiid

James Harden

If availability is a big part of qualifying, Embiid shouldn't be called a superstar. I loved the Hawk but if by superstar you mean solely his impact on the outcome of games, Connie's name shouldn't be there either - at least not the NBA version of Connie Hawkins. Booker adds more wins to his team than either of those players IMO. I don't know where to put Luka, his defense keeps him from being at the top of the superstar list but I don't know if it keeps him off of it (it's close).

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
If availability is a big part of qualifying, Embiid shouldn't be called a superstar. I loved the Hawk but if by superstar you mean solely his impact on the outcome of games, Connie's name shouldn't be there either - at least not the NBA version of Connie Hawkins. Booker adds more wins to his team than either of those players IMO. I don't know where to put Luka, his defense keeps him from being at the top of the superstar list but I don't know if it keeps him off of it (it's close).
Embiid is a perennial All-Star and All-NBA player, and one of the top candidates for MVP last year and this year, so I'd include him. Certainly there have been health concerns (he did play in only 31 games his first three seasons), but he seems to be beyond most of those.

As for Hawkins, they were horrible (16-66) before adding him (and Silas) and then had three pretty good seasons (39-43, 48-34, 49-33) before he started breaking down at 30.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I like your post but I think Booker is there.
We'll have to agree to disagree then. He's gotten past borderline All-Star (as an injury replacement twice) to solid All-Star player in consideration for All-NBA. But I don't see him as better than any of the players I listed. As he's improved his defense he's starting to build a case, but he still needs to reign in the out-of-control hero ball a bit.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Booker is efficient, plays both ends of the floor (actually has become a very good defender), he doesn't miss many games and his poor games are few and far between.

In my opinion he literally fills all the criteria you put forward for determining if a player is a superstar.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To me a superstar is capable of putting a team on their back and willing them to a win, and they are fantastic at creating their own good shots.

I don't think Booker qualifies, because he can be taken out of games by double teams. That doesn't really work on the other players in my top 6.

that's also how i would describe a superstar. Booker has had superstar performances -- including this week, in the bubble and in the playoffs but he can often be managed with double teams.

Booker is the best player on the Suns but Paul is the MVP of the Suns -- the coach on the floor -- a hall-of-famer with a superstar career, but imo, it's accurate to say that the Suns we were 1 game short of the best record last year, 2 games short of the championship, and clearly the best team this year precisely because we don't have anyone who demands the ball like a superstar. And our only flaw is when Booker chases superstar cred at the end of games instead of sticking with team ball. twice this week.

he held the ball and air-balled a 3 last game and another game we only needed one to win and he dribbled around and missed a 3. I was complaining about that last year at this time after he had done that at least 4 times. I like the progress he's made this season -- especially with Paul out. He's stayed focused and channeled his anger into playing better instead of sloppy.

but i'll repeat what i said last year. if Monty doesn't call plays for an open shooter at the end of games it's going to cost us in the playoffs. and if everyone sticks with the Suns system we will win it all -- and that's the best way for Booker to be labelled a superstar.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think Booker is a superstar and is the best player on the Suns who for me are the best overall team in the league. although Chris Paul definitely is HOF and can still play at a high level. everyone can talk about regular season success vs. playoffs, but that's going off of the notion that only one team can win a championship so you discount all of the others as failure if they had a historic regular season. if I could go back to the mid 2000s when the mavs were winning 55+ games almost every year I would take that. I was satisfied with that at the time because Dallas were terrible before for many years..there's something to be said about a team like the Suns that can go out and win every night, for the entire season, not just a hot streak here and there.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

Current Superstars -
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Stephen Curry
Kevin Durant
Joel Embiid

James Harden

Good point about Kawhi, when he was healthy he might of been the best dual hat player at both ends of the court. you could also bring Irving into the mix with his vaccine debacle in Brooklyn. he's definitely not in the mix now because of that situation.

Luka is a superstar by reputation for sure. he has improved in being more consistent in the close out moments of games which had been an issue for him. his defense has improved (effort wise), although he is not known for that. he still has to work on his temperament as well as it relates to moving on to the next play. it is good to hear Luka acknowledge and talk about his weaknesses openly, that is something that I think is promising for his future if he continues to work hard on and off the court.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
that's also how i would describe a superstar. Booker has had superstar performances -- including this week, in the bubble and in the playoffs but he can often be managed with double teams.

Booker is the best player on the Suns but Paul is the MVP of the Suns -- the coach on the floor -- a hall-of-famer with a superstar career, but imo, it's accurate to say that the Suns we were 1 game short of the best record last year, 2 games short of the championship, and clearly the best team this year precisely because we don't have anyone who demands the ball like a superstar. And our only flaw is when Booker chases superstar cred at the end of games instead of sticking with team ball. twice this week.

he held the ball and air-balled a 3 last game and another game we only needed one to win and he dribbled around and missed a 3. I was complaining about that last year at this time after he had done that at least 4 times. I like the progress he's made this season -- especially with Paul out. He's stayed focused and channeled his anger into playing better instead of sloppy.

but i'll repeat what i said last year. if Monty doesn't call plays for an open shooter at the end of games it's going to cost us in the playoffs. and if everyone sticks with the Suns system we will win it all -- and that's the best way for Booker to be labelled a superstar.
If you have to consistently double team a player to take him out of the game that is a superstar. Plenty of players that are superstar caliber can be slowed down with double teams. Just because you aren't as effective when being doubled doesn't mean you aren't a superstar.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

At the very least.

But there’s still another level up from superstar. That’s all-time great. The Giannis/Steph/Durant/LeBron/CP3 level that Embiid and Jokic are inching toward and that Kawhi is amongst (when healthy).

Book’s still a notch below those guys. But he’s grown immensely the last two years, that I don’t put it past him anymore. Kid’s freaking legit.
Agreed.
And he’s the most disrespected superstar in the game. And I’m not one to complain about the refs. Tonight was a great example.
100% agree.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Good grief, BOOK is even disrespected by his own fans who will not admit his superstar status.

That’s not disrespect. Arguing over whether or not he should make 3rd team all-NBA is disrespect.

Right now I think there’s only 3 universally accepted superstars; Giannis, Durant and Steph.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I think of it as a straight trade thing to determine superstar status. Who would you straight trade him for? (Not factoring in money) That list is getting smaller...