Idea: Cards trade Murray for draft picks and then trade for Baker Mayfield.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was wondering what this scenario would look like for the Cards. With both Wilson and Watson being traded for basically 3 first rounders and additional players or picks, Murray’s trade value should be set close to that mark. If say Houston or Philly pony up an impressive trade package similar to what Seattle and Houston got, would it work to use the draft capital to load up on need positions (edge, o line, wide receiver, d line) and then trade with Cleveland for Mayfield? I’ve tried to figure out why Kyler’s agent would continually bash the organization when one of his top clients happens to be the head coach. Is there a mutual agreement that the Cards lock up Kingsbury in exchange for the agent making absurd comments about Kyler’s contract situation, in order to make the Cards look like the good guy if a trade goes through? If say the Cards get Philly’s 3 first rounders and a 3rd rounder, would the Cards 3rd and the one they received from Philly be enough to snag Mayfield? It would be similar value to what the Colts got for Wentz.

Maybe this is why there has been so little done in free agency.

Imagine this draft haul plus Mayfield:
1a-Jermaine Johnson
1b-Chris Olave or Garrett Wilson
1c-Jordan Davis
1d-Zion Johnson
2-Breese Hall or Carl Pickens

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Philly would do that and I don't think it makes us significantly better. The 3 picks are all worth it yes but I don't think you get all 3. and Baker is not as good as Kyler and has an injury. But he's good enough that you're probably going to be around .500 with him at QB so you get the one loaded draft if Philly makes the move but then you're going to be middle of the road after.

If we are going to trade Kyler, and I dont think we are, you either have to get your QB of the future in return, player or pick, of you have to make the deal such that you're essentially tanking to get your QB of the future next year, like Bryce Young from Bama.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nope, nope nope. Wouldn't mind a trade haul for Murray but I don't want any part of Baker Mayfield if I'm the Cards. One petulant child for another? No thanks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Always a tough sell to trade your QB and acquire a worse one.

That is why Watson made a little sense in that the value between the two was in the same ballpark.

Baker isn't IMO. Small and slow with a meh arm generally doesnt work in the pros.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you really wanted to trade him...here are probably the only spots left that you aren't just punting for picks.

Las Vegas and Carr.

Green Bay and Rodgers. (the Adams loss is big and they might be willing)

Ravens and Lamar. (They might feel it is easier to deal with Murray than Lamar as Lamar does not have an agent to my knowledge)

Cowboys and Dak.

and that is about it without completely punting which the Cardinals would get killed for.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you really wanted to trade him...here are probably the only spots left that you aren't just punting for picks.

Las Vegas and Carr.

Ravens and Lamar. (They might feel it is easier to deal with Murray than Lamar as Lamar does not have an agent to my knowledge)

Cowboys and Dak.

and that is about it without completely punting which the Cardinals would get killed for.
Problem is only Green Bay has any picks to trade, and I think they value Rodgers enough to ask for a straight swap.

I would take Carr all day, but not without extras and I can't think of any players they would trade. They are going all in, in the best division in football.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At first glance I thought it happened.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Philly would do that and I don't think it makes us significantly better. The 3 picks are all worth it yes but I don't think you get all 3. and Baker is not as good as Kyler and has an injury. But he's good enough that you're probably going to be around .500 with him at QB so you get the one loaded draft if Philly makes the move but then you're going to be middle of the road after.

If we are going to trade Kyler, and I dont think we are, you either have to get your QB of the future in return, player or pick, of you have to make the deal such that you're essentially tanking to get your QB of the future next year, like Bryce Young from Bama.
I think you get all 3, and more, and it still not be worth it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you get all 3, and more, and it still not be worth it.

There's not much market left for QB's IMO. I know Kyler is much better but Florio is saying that teh 49ers are telling teams that they have an offer of 2 second round picks for Jimmy G, and it sounds like nobody is sure they believe the 49ers actually have an offer that good. With Ryan traded it's now basically Seattle, Carolina and the Saints looking for QB's. Cards wouldn't trade Kyler within the division and if they did they'd have to get Metcalf which Seattle wouldn't do if they're getting Kyler. So Carolina or Saints. Carolina can off Sam Darnold and some picks not enough. Saints don't have enough.

So then it's really Philly and if they're not bidding against anybody else I can't imagine them giving up 3 first round picks and more to get Kyler.

I guess we'll never know we're not trading him

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
So far that looks like a great deal. Basically Kyler and Baker are the same QB with Baker having a better head on his shoulders and Kyler being a better runner with a little better arm strength. If we could get Baker and three first round picks that’s an easy decision. You make that trade in a New York second.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Las Vegas and Carr.

Cowboys and Dak.

Raiders ain't trading DC... no way, no how.
Folks been trying to put that guy on the block for years...the Raiders just ain't gonna do it.
They specifically went and got D Adam's because he is DC's best friend and Carr offered to reduce his salary to pay him.
The organization loves that guy.

Then you look at the numbers...and it's clear kyler is a minimal upgrade, while also being clear he doesn't have the leadership that Carr brings.
Marc Davis never makes that trade.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
So far that looks like a great deal. Basically Kyler and Baker are the same QB with Baker having a better head on his shoulders and Kyler being a better runner with a little better arm strength. If we could get Baker and three first round picks that’s an easy decision. You make that trade in a New York second.
Correction... Kyler has a significantly better arm

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's not much market left for QB's IMO. I know Kyler is much better but Florio is saying that teh 49ers are telling teams that they have an offer of 2 second round picks for Jimmy G, and it sounds like nobody is sure they believe the 49ers actually have an offer that good. With Ryan traded it's now basically Seattle, Carolina and the Saints looking for QB's. Cards wouldn't trade Kyler within the division and if they did they'd have to get Metcalf which Seattle wouldn't do if they're getting Kyler. So Carolina or Saints. Carolina can off Sam Darnold and some picks not enough. Saints don't have enough.

So then it's really Philly and if they're not bidding against anybody else I can't imagine them giving up 3 first round picks and more to get Kyler.

I guess we'll never know we're not trading him
Agree on both bolded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA