2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well he had 15/9 against the Grizz. Are they good enough? 19/14 against the Clippers Are they good enough? 19/12 against Charlotte are they good enough? 19/7 against Boston are they good enough?

These are his games during the stretch when he got playing time
15/9
11/14
19/7
19/12
12/5
19/14

That’s pretty damn good.

Matter a fact these are his last few games with Indy

17/10
15/8
13/10

His March has been fantastic and if you can’t see his talent at this point that’s just you being a hater and crying about Halliburton. Jalen Smith is going to be a player
Lol. Crying about Halliburton. You’re a piece of work. I’m one of the ones that hasn’t cried about him even once.

Jalen Smith is a player, but he’s nothing more than an average one. Would have been nice to have him, but we’re not going to lose games, let alone a title, without him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol. Crying about Halliburton. You’re a piece of work. I’m one of the ones that hasn’t cried about him even once.

Jalen Smith is a player, but he’s nothing more than an average one. Would have been nice to have him, but we’re not going to lose games, let alone a title, without him.
Agreed. 57-14. 8 games up on the league. Magic number is three. Top 5 in offense and defense. Most complete team in the league.

And without Jalen Smith. Results. Jalen Smith is not the key to a dynasty. There are a lot of players presently on this roster that are more important. So let's get a title first, and then think about a dynasty.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Agreed. 57-14. 8 games up on the league. Magic number is three. Top 5 in offense and defense. Most complete team in the league.

And without Jalen Smith. Results. Jalen Smith is not the key to a dynasty. There are a lot of players presently on this roster that are more important. So let's get a title first, and then think about a dynasty.
And he is easily replaceable. This isn’t a guy with a unique skill set that we can’t find a replacement for. He’ll, we actually DID find a replacement for him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And he is easily replaceable. This isn’t a guy with a unique skill set that we can’t find a replacement for. He’ll, we actually DID find a replacement for him.
Yep. Torrey Craig easily replaces Smith right now, and he or someone else will replace him in the future. Smith is not headed for league stardom. He will not be part of a big three on a championship team. He is likely going to be a quality role player, that's it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. Torrey Craig easily replaces Smith right now, and he or someone else will replace him in the future. Smith is not headed for league stardom. He will not be part of a big three on a championship team. He is likely going to be a quality role player, that's it.
That's probably true, but the issue I have is Jones's seeming complete distaste for young players.

It might be ok for the next 4-5 years if we keep our core together but we are going to have a big fall if we are not replenshing the team with any youth along the way.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's probably true, but the issue I have is Jones's seeming complete distaste for young players.

It might be ok for the next 4-5 years if we keep our core together but we are going to have a big fall if we are not replenshing the team with any youth along the way.
How old do you think our team is? We are still pretty young. Our best player is still only 25.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That’s not what this entire conversation is about. The point was you want young talent locked up.

The point was made Craig, McGee and Bizmack are all up after this year and Cam Johnson and Ayton are going to want to be paid.

It’s pretty obvious that Jalen Smith has shown real promise at this point

The point was also made not by me that is didn’t have to be one or the other you could of had them both Craig and Smith. Choosing to sign Shamet over Craig was a real mistake

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How old do you think our team is? We are still pretty young. Our best player is still only 25.

Paul is 86 years old

Book is going to be coming up for a super Max before you know it

Cam Johnson will need to be paid

Ayton will also be looking for a max

This could all end real quick

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Paul is 86 years old

Book is going to be coming up for a super Max before you know it

Cam Johnson will need to be paid

Ayton will also be looking for a max

This could all end real quick
I think we are seeing that the post-Paul era is going to be pretty darn competitive. They’ll need to pay book, Ayton, have bridges on a good contract, can get cam Johnson on a similar contract, and then it’s about putting pieces around them like Craig, Payne, mcgee, biyombo that aren’t overly expensive. With our young core we will likely remain a nice destination for older ring chasers who might accept less $$$ once Paul is gone.

That said, it was still an error to sign shamet instead of Craig (even if I understood their reasoning at the time), and it was a mistake not to exercise stix option.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we are seeing that the post-Paul era is going to be pretty darn competitive. They’ll need to pay book, Ayton, have bridges on a good contract, can get cam Johnson on a similar contract, and then it’s about putting pieces around them like Craig, Payne, mcgee, biyombo that aren’t overly expensive. With our young core we will likely remain a nice destination for older ring chasers who might accept less $$$ once Paul is gone.

That said, it was still an error to sign shamet instead of Craig (even if I understood their reasoning at the time), and it was a mistake not to exercise stix option.

I think Ayton getting his max is a done deal. Book getting his super max is a done deal

The key is going to be Cam Johnson. I’m thinking 20-25 million a year gets it done.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That’s not what this entire conversation is about. The point was you want young talent locked up.

The point was made Craig, McGee and Bizmack are all up after this year and Cam Johnson and Ayton are going to want to be paid.

It’s pretty obvious that Jalen Smith has shown real promise at this point

The point was also made not by me that is didn’t have to be one or the other you could of had them both Craig and Smith. Choosing to sign Shamet over Craig was a real mistake

Yes Shamet over Craig was a mistake. No argument there.

You can’t use indirect arguments to prove theories that don’t exist. Sure, we should have paid Craig over Shamet, but that has nothing to do with Jalen Smith.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes Shamet over Craig was a mistake. No argument there.

You can’t use indirect arguments to prove theories that don’t exist. Sure, we should have paid Craig over Shamet, but that has nothing to do with Jalen Smith.

Of course it does. Because the argument was never Craig or Stix was pointed out by someone else it should have never came down to that. We should have both on the team right now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Of course it does. Because the argument was never Craig or Stix was pointed out by someone else it should have never came down to that. We should have both on the team right now.
Like we should have had KG over Marion and a title in the late 90s if Danny Manning wasn’t injured?

Ifs don’t win titles. You can dwell in them all you like but we’re talking about average players at best in Smith, Craig and Shamet.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like we should have had KG over Marion and a title in the late 90s if Danny Manning wasn’t injured?

Ifs don’t win titles. You can dwell in them all you like but we’re talking about average players at best in Smith, Craig and Shamet.

I don’t think anyone is dwelling on it this just happens to be the conversation of the day.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patrick Beverley still doing his stuff.

Suns play at the Timberwolves on Wednesday.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Patrick Beverley still doing his stuff.

Suns play at the Timberwolves on Wednesday.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don’t mind Pat Bev but when he gets dirty that crosses the line for me.

But I get why he does what he does

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t mind Pat Bev but when he gets dirty that crosses the line for me.

But I get why he does what he does
I just don’t think there’s a place in the league for a guy like him anymore. Injure multiple players over multiple years and have multiple cheap shots and instigations. Sorry, this is the highest league in the world. No room for BS.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a crazy way to lose. Warriors come all the way back to tie the game. On a great save teh SA bench screws up and tells them to foul when they had no fouls to give. Wiggins makes the first 1 point lead, then misses the 2nd and the ref calls a foul on the rebound on Looney contesting Poeltl. Warriors go nuts but they have no challenges. He makes the first, misses the 2nd, Keldon Johnson shoves Otto Porter under the basket gets the ball and scores and SA wins.

As they're walking off the court after klay's desperation shot misses Klay says something to the ref who called the foul and you could see the ref say "that was a good call" and Klay said something which clearly ticked the ref off so I would expect a fine.

Wiggins has to make the shot of course but what a crazy ending they foul on purpose when they had none to give and it winds up winning the game for them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave