Griner currently in a Russian jail

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
There may be some question as to whether whatever charges the Russians arrested her on are legit. But it also wouldn't surprise me if she had "I'm a big American sports star, there's no way the Russians would mess with me" kind of mentality.

Whether she was carrying contraband or not, it was pretty ill advised for someone who is obviously a high profile American citizen to be still hanging around Russia right now. I have seen some reports that this actually occurred three weeks ago; that seems unlikely, but who knows.

And if in fact, she really was leaving the country at this late date AND toting contraband... yes, she is a moron.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading a CNN article, it reads like Brittany Griner was arriving in Russia when she was arrested.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless she was arrested some time ago.

By Wayne Sterling and Emma Tucker, CNN:

The Russian Federal Customs Service did not identify the woman as Griner in a statement quoted in a report from Russia's Interfax News Agency, which reads: "'As a US citizen was passing through the green channel at Sheremetyevo Airport upon arriving from New York, a working dog from the Sheremetyevo Customs canine department detected the possible presence of narcotic substances in the accompanying luggage.'"

"'The customs inspection of the hand luggage being carried by the US citizen confirmed the presence of vapes with specifically smelling liquid, and an expert determined that the liquid was cannabis oil (hash oil), which is a narcotic substance,'" the customs service said in the statement.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
After reading a CNN article, it reads like Brittany Griner was arriving in Russia when she was arrested.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless she was arrested some time ago.

By Wayne Sterling and Emma Tucker, CNN:

The Russian Federal Customs Service did not identify the woman as Griner in a statement quoted in a report from Russia's Interfax News Agency, which reads: "'As a US citizen was passing through the green channel at Sheremetyevo Airport upon arriving from New York, a working dog from the Sheremetyevo Customs canine department detected the possible presence of narcotic substances in the accompanying luggage.'"

"'The customs inspection of the hand luggage being carried by the US citizen confirmed the presence of vapes with specifically smelling liquid, and an expert determined that the liquid was cannabis oil (hash oil), which is a narcotic substance,'" the customs service said in the statement.

I read that it supposedly happened before Putin invaded (about 3 weeks ago), so there wouldn't be much of a reason for her to be suspicious, since going to Russia to play basketball has been something she's done a lot of in the past.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The time frame seems definitely unclear. It's weird that this wouldn't be released to news services for three weeks. I can't imagine there would have been any reason for it to be suppressed before the Ukraine conflict. On the other hand, very peculiar for her to be leaving Russia at this late date. Not sure what to think.

But in any case, carrying illicit goods in your luggage in a hinky foreign country is pure foolishness. I guess not everyone has seen "Midnight Express."

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
As a fan, supremely disappointed when the Mercury were finally arranging a top starting five.

As a person, I am extremely worried about her mental health. She's been there in custody for weeks. She has missed part of a WNBA season before for mental health issues. I am really worried for her as a person if she does have to do time in Russian prisons.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are saying she could actually get 10 years in jail. If she does get released, I have a feeling she will be suspended by the league.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am fearful for her state of mind during this. Russia is one of the places you probably do not want to be arrested for drug usage.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brittney Griner is reported to be in "good condition" by the State Department after U.S. access.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I tweeted out to Skylar Diggins-Smith while she's been on the air for Suns games to give a shout out for BG. I don't even know if she saw my tweets. Zero feedback.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I tweeted out to Skylar Diggins-Smith while she's been on the air for Suns games to give a shout out for BG. I don't even know if she saw my tweets. Zero feedback.
I am sorry. Maybe she will give a shout-out in the future?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am sorry. Maybe she will give a shout-out in the future?

I imagine a lot of players are hesitant to talk about it while there are ongoing negotiations to get her released.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson