2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Nets are scary if they have Kyrie/KD on the court. I won’t shed a tear if they have to go through Miami and are knocked out first round because Kyrie still can’t play at home.

But I think that ban probably gets lifted in the next month.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll celebrate if any team hires Mark Jackson as coach just to get him off broadcasting, but a division rival, especially the Lakers? all the better.
Long term he's probably a horrible hire for any franchise but short term I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn a team around. I don't think he can do it with Lebron, Davis and Westbrook though, but I don't know who could do it with that trio. Fix the team from a GM standpoint first then maybe a coach can make a difference.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy on a UCLA board who has been right way more than wrong on the Lakers says that Vogel has been told he'll be fired as soon as the season ends. Fizdale was the replacement but now they're leaning towards hiring ... Mark Jackson.
Oh please... make that situation somehow worse! Please!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess Jackson has brown nosed LeBron enough on ABC/ESPN broadcasts that he'll get the nod. Vogel deserves better, there was nothing he could do with that trio.

I know Westbrook will become an expiring deal but it's so large of a contract that I can't see any team that would be willing to take it until the deadline next year. Even then, it won't give them much value in return. The Lakers would have been better if they kept Kuzma, Trez, and KCP.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long term he's probably a horrible hire for any franchise but short term I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn a team around. I don't think he can do it with Lebron, Davis and Westbrook though, but I don't know who could do it with that trio. Fix the team from a GM standpoint first then maybe a coach can make a difference.
This guy says Westbrook wouldn't be back but I know that's awfully hard to do with his contract

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy says Westbrook wouldn't be back but I know that's awfully hard to do with his contract

John Wall for Westbrook. That's the only trade that sort of makes sense for both teams, if LA includes a pick or two.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
John Wall for Westbrook. That's the only trade that sort of makes sense for both teams, if LA includes a pick or two.
How does that trade make sense? I don't see why any team would want to acquire either one of those guys. They'd just be trading one dead weight for another.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does that trade make sense? I don't see why any team would want to acquire either one of those guys. They'd just be trading one dead weight for another.
It's the picks that make sense. Wall isn't worth his money but he's less of a waste on the court than Russell has been. This trade was available at the deadline though and Lebron and Davis wanted it but Buss wasn't willing to give up any picks. Maybe that's changed but if not, I can't see Westbrook moving until mid-season when someone might be willing to buy him out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's the picks that make sense. Wall isn't worth his money but he's less of a waste on the court than Russell has been. This trade was available at the deadline though and Lebron and Davis wanted it but Buss wasn't willing to give up any picks. Maybe that's changed but if not, I can't see Westbrook moving until mid-season when someone might be willing to buy him out.
I feel like the Lakers would be really greedy in this scenario and ask Houston for more than they are willing to part with. And I'm not sure the Lakers have draft capital that is worth the aggravation of obtaining Westbrook for Houston.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like the Lakers would be really greedy in this scenario and ask Houston for more than they are willing to part with. And I'm not sure the Lakers have draft capital that is worth the aggravation of obtaining Westbrook for Houston.
Oh it was the other way. Houston made it clear they'd swap the two players but they wanted the Lakers next first round pick.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh it was the other way. Houston made it clear they'd swap the two players but they wanted the Lakers next first round pick.

I think the Lakers realized when you have your car tires stuck in mud to quit spinning them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Lakers realized when you have your car tires stuck in mud to quit spinning them.
Yeah I think they made the right call but it's what led to Lebron's childish antics to show the world his displeasure.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think they made the right call but it's what led to Lebron's childish antics to show the world his displeasure.

Lebron should have probably traded himself. That may be next.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curry leaves the game vs. BOS. Some kind of ankle injury.

yeah I came here to post that I hope I'm wrong but i think Marcus Smart just inadvertently killed the Warriors season. Smart dove for a ball and rolled up Steph's left ankle. Steph jogged off to the locker room but he was holding the top of his foot which to me means high ankle sprain. To be clear totally unintentional on Smart he was going for the ball he actually stopped during the play to see if Steph was ok but then ran back and got a flagrant on Klay.

Celtics outscored us by 10 the rest of the half.

Crazy game Boston plays great defense but borderline dirty. Smart got a flagrant he basically kicked Klay in the chest challenging a shot. Moody got taken out when Grant Williams drilled him looks like a shoulder injury.

Robert Williams is wiping out everything inside man that guy blocks shots.

So they started the game without Wiggins, Payton, Iggy and Bjelica, and lost Moody and Steph.

the local broadcast is saying steph unlikely to return with a foot injury so I'm hoping that means it's not a high ankle

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah I came here to post that I hope I'm wrong but i think Marcus Smart just inadvertently killed the Warriors season. Smart dove for a ball and rolled up Steph's left ankle. Steph jogged off to the locker room but he was holding the top of his foot which to me means high ankle sprain. To be clear totally unintentional on Smart he was going for the ball he actually stopped during the play to see if Steph was ok but then ran back and got a flagrant on Klay.

Celtics outscored us by 10 the rest of the half.

Crazy game Boston plays great defense but borderline dirty. Smart got a flagrant he basically kicked Klay in the chest challenging a shot. Moody got taken out when Grant Williams drilled him looks like a shoulder injury.

Robert Williams is wiping out everything inside man that guy blocks shots.

So they started the game without Wiggins, Payton, Iggy and Bjelica, and lost Moody and Steph.

the local broadcast is saying steph unlikely to return with a foot injury so I'm hoping that means it's not a high ankle

A high ankle sprain would probably have him back in the 1st round, he might not be 100% but I think he would play. The way his foot got pinned and twisted with all Smart's weight on it, I would be more worried about a broken bone, which would almost certainly be season ending.

I'm not a fan of Smart, he has done some shady stuff in the past, I honestly don't think the diving and landing on the foot is dirty, but that he then rolls up Curry's leg to make the pass, obviously knowing the leg is pinned... that ain't good, but it does look like the damage was already done.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A high ankle sprain would probably have him back in the 1st round, he might not be 100% but I think he would play. The way his foot got pinned and twisted with all Smart's weight on it, I would be more worried about a broken bone, which would almost certainly be season ending.

I'm not a fan of Smart, he has done some shady stuff in the past, I honestly don't think the diving and landing on the foot is dirty, but that he then rolls up Curry's leg to make the pass, obviously knowing the leg is pinned... that ain't good, but it does look like the damage was already done.
I have no idea if he was trying to injure Curry but IMO that should be irrelevant. It needs to ber refereed the same way as the Bruce Bowen maneuver. He should be responsible for knowing that a player already occupies the space he is diving into and it should be treated the same as sliding a foot under a player who is coming down from his jump shot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea if he was trying to injure Curry but IMO that should be irrelevant. It needs to ber refereed the same way as the Bruce Bowen maneuver. He should be responsible for knowing that a player already occupies the space he is diving into and it should be treated the same as sliding a foot under a player who is coming down from his jump shot.

I don't think it was a dirty play it was just unfortunate. Boston plays very physical that was the 3rd time in the game Smart dove after a loose ball and it just happened on this one he got Steph

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think LeBron will be in LA next year. Just my hunch.

I think it was Jalen Rose who tried saying LeBron needs to resign with Cleveland for the minimum if he wants another title. If he accepted a deal that was for the MLE that would probably work as well.

They have a solid young team in Cleveland and if LeBron joined as a mentor/leader, he could help them a lot. That's provided he doesn't force them into dealing away everyone for his buddies.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it was a dirty play it was just unfortunate. Boston plays very physical that was the 3rd time in the game Smart dove after a loose ball and it just happened on this one he got Steph

Over 1000 days wait to get Curry, Klay and Green on the court again together, 2nd game and Steph goes down.

Also note, Moody's injury wasn't actually on the play I thought it wsa he apparently jammed the shoulder trying to block out Williams, not earlier when they collided on a screen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose