Free agency thread 2022

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said to a degree, not wholly. Conner was much better than I thought though, as predicted, he was injured during a crucial part of the season. I was 100 percent correct that Chase couldn't hold up and be the guy for a whole season. Green also produced better than I expected, though clearly had heart issues. You granted me Watt. The CB room wasn't good enough, as I said, though the back-end depth was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't 100% right on everything, but nobody on the board is. I certainly pointed out some issues during the offseason that came to pass.

Your whole need to come after me at this point is just silly, man. If you're happy with what we're doing this offseason, that's great for you. I disagree, and am by far not the only one.

I'm not coming after you, but you said you was vindicated which was clearly wrong.

The team finished 11-6. We have only once in 100 years of football had more than 11 wins. I shouldn't have to say any more than that.

Did things end how we would like? No. Was the issue Keim's off season moves last year? Definitely not.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Probably doesn't mean what I think it does but Colts still have over 60m in cap space:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably doesn't mean what I think it does but Colts still have over 60m in cap space:

To be fair that would make sense opposite Paye. They play a 4 though and the last time Jones played with his hand in the dirt he had a 13 sack season, which sounds fine, except it was sandwiched between a 17 and 19 as a stand up LB. And all his other stats like pressures, QB hits etc were significantly down too.

Not sure I'd pay him big money to play 4-3 DE who can't stop the run.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't have the money for big name multi year FA deals. We could, for maybe 1 or 2 but we still have to pay the rookie draft pool and fill a dozen depth roles. So it's unlikely.

Of those remaining here is who I like to fill the holes we have,

CB

Casey Hayward - I wanted him last year, was told he was cooked, then he had a nice year for the Raiders and played all 17 games.
Donte Jackson - Athletic guy who is better in zone. Has a habit of missing a few games a year.
Robert Alford - Did well. I'd have him back for vet min but guess he will test the market for more.

OLB (Slim pickings)

Zadarius Smith - This would be the primo move but not sure if we can afford him.
Uchenna Nwosu - A guy the Chargers want back. Started 13 games last year. Still developing and while only 5 sacks has 30 pressures, 12 QB hits and 13 hurries.
Justin Houston - Not sure what Houston has left but we need something. He did have a 78 PFF grade last year and 6 sacks.

This could be the one area Keim splashes some money on Clowney but don't see them going after Miller and thats about the whole market.

Guard

The remaining Guard market is trash. Will Hernandez is the only guy I'd take a punt on as I think he has upside on a cheap deal but otherwise I'd rather role with Justin Murray or Jones and let the draft play out.

WR

This is the other area I can see Keim spending $10-$13m so there are more options but the WR is kinda nuts.

I could see Keim taking a run at JuJu. Here's why. JuJu wants to play outside. He spent most of last offseason saying he wants to play outside. But has no real record of success there. He's been an 80% slot guy. He's coming off 2 years down including an injury last year. His market is low. Shockingly he's still only 25. He's a week younger than Kirk.

Someone mentioned him yesterday and I said "But he's a slot" but he ticks all those Keim boxes right? Past success, recent issues, coming off injury, depressed market. He's exactly the kind of player he likes to role the dice on at the right price.

I don't think he can play outside but Keim might see him as someone they can move around.

I think OBJ and Robinson are going to be too much money.

Other than that I don't see anyone else that wouldn't be a stop gap for a rookie. Green would top my list, better the devil you know. But also Sammy Watkins, TY Hilton, Demarcus Robinson, James Washington etc

I would think the most likely moves would have to be OLB and WR. Otherwise you HAVE to draft someone early.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm not coming after you, but you said you was vindicated which was clearly wrong.

The team finished 11-6. We have only once in 100 years of football had more than 11 wins. I shouldn't have to say any more than that.

Did things end how we would like? No. Was the issue Keim's off season moves last year? Definitely not.
I said vindicated to a degree, which is clearly correct. Also, no matter how you try to put lipstick on the pig that was our meltdown last season, that's still one ugly hog.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
@BritCard - I have to give you credit for your passion. Your takes are strong (black or white) and you will argue your point till the end. You will also occasionally admit when you are wrong...

vs posters that have a strong take that is clearly wrong but then proceed to throw up smoke screens, diversion tactics, and keep moving the goal posts to make it seem like they weren't wrong.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
@BritCard - I have to give you credit for your passion. Your takes are strong (black or white) and you will argue your point till the end. You will also occasionally admit when you are wrong...

vs posters that have a strong take that is clearly wrong but then proceed to throw up smoke screens, diversion tactics, and keep moving the goal posts to make it seem like they weren't wrong.
:jedi: lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why thank you. I try to be consistent at the very least.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is Jack has been garbage since 2018 and he's terrible in coverage. Which is why the Jags dumped I'm.

Yeah Myles was never as good as expected, he recovered from the knee but he's just never been the star it looked like he might be. Lots of tackles but that goes with the position, very few sacks and INTs

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

u can agree or not with him but
Yes he was a nice addition to this forum after mitch's flee

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like wishful thinking on Packers fans part.

I'd be shocked if the Cardinals wanted Jones.

He fits our offense but as Shane said after we paid Conner it's unlikely. His cap hit this year is relatively low but then explodes. He's a very good receiver, has been in a RB by committee so his carries are not all that high for his age, but that cap hit in 2 years is huge.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He fits our offense but as Shane said after we paid Conner it's unlikely. His cap hit this year is relatively low but then explodes. He's a very good receiver, has been in a RB by committee so his carries are not all that high for his age, but that cap hit in 2 years is huge.

That was such a dumb extension by the Packers considering they already drafted a round 2 running back and what their future cap situation looked like.

Don't see Cards being in. He's similar to Edmonds and they just let him walk. Cap space aside.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was such a dumb extension by the Packers considering they already drafted a round 2 running back and what their future cap situation looked like.

Don't see Cards being in. He's similar to Edmonds and they just let him walk. Cap space aside.

They have similiar size but Jones is so much stronger, has powerful legs and can break tackles
He is a better player then Edmonds

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We don't have the money for big name multi year FA deals. We could, for maybe 1 or 2 but we still have to pay the rookie draft pool and fill a dozen depth roles. So it's unlikely.

CB

Casey Hayward - I wanted him last year, was told he was cooked, then he had a nice year for the Raiders and played all 17 games.
Donte Jackson - Athletic guy who is better in zone. Has a habit of missing a few games a year.
Robert Alford - Did well. I'd have him back for vet min but guess he will test the market for more.

OLB (Slim pickings)

Zadarius Smith - This would be the primo move but not sure if we can afford him.
Uchenna Nwosu - A guy the Chargers want back. Started 13 games last year. Still developing and while only 5 sacks has 30 pressures, 12 QB hits and 13 hurries.
Justin Houston - Not sure what Houston has left but we need something. He did have a 78 PFF grade last year and 6 sacks.

This could be the one area Keim splashes some money on Clowney but don't see them going after Miller and thats about the whole market.

Guard

The remaining Guard market is trash. Will Hernandez is the only guy I'd take a punt on as I think he has upside on a cheap deal but otherwise I'd rather role with Justin Murray or Jones and let the draft play out.

WR

This is the other area I can see Keim spending $10-$13m so there are more options but the WR is kinda nuts.

I could see Keim taking a run at JuJu. Here's why. JuJu wants to play outside. He spent most of last offseason saying he wants to play outside. But has no real record of success there. He's been an 80% slot guy. He's coming off 2 years down including an injury last year. His market is low. Shockingly he's still only 25. He's a week younger than Kirk.

Someone mentioned him yesterday and I said "But he's a slot" but he ticks all those Keim boxes right? Past success, recent issues, coming off injury, depressed market. He's exactly the kind of player he likes to punt on at the right price.

I don't think he can play outside but Keim might see him as someone they can move around.

Other than that I don't see anyone else that wouldn't be a stop gap for a rookie. Green would top my list, better the devil you know. But also Sammy Watkins, TY Hilton, Demarcus Robinson, James Washington etc

I would think the most likely moves would have to be OLB and WR. Otherwise you HAVE to draft someone early.
He also played for Pittsburgh... Keim has a penchant for Ex-Steelers and JuJu fits his target range

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I said vindicated to a degree, which is clearly correct. Also, no matter how you try to put lipstick on the pig that was our meltdown last season, that's still one ugly hog.

Anyone on this board who has posted a thought on ownership, management, coaches or players can claim vindication to a degree.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

CB

OLB (Slim pickings)

Guard

WR

Someone mentioned him yesterday and I said "But he's a slot" but he ticks all those Keim boxes right? Past success, recent issues, coming off injury, depressed market. He's exactly the kind of player he likes to punt on at the right price.

Good stuff!

P.S. the English 'take a punt' is close to the American 'I'll punt', which has the opposite meaning. ;)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wasn't vindicated dude. Come on. We were 10-2 at one point and made the playoffs and the down turn was absolutely nothing to do with any of our FA signings.

You yourself have argued many times it was largely Kyler lead.
So when your boxing and win the first 8 rounds but continuously get knocked at the end of the fight that should be considered a success?