Suns @ Pelicans Tuesday game thread 3-15-2022

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This interview with Mikal Bridges and JaVale McGee tells why the Suns are special.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t start with the revisionist history.

jones only picks are cam Johnson, Ty Jerome, and jalen smith.

1 out of 3 is not great.

Also have to count trades (like Chris Paul), free agency (like Cam Payne), hires like Monty Williams and how the team is put together in evaluating a GM.

My expectations are still high for Jalen Smith and Ty Jerome is still in the league as a later draft pick.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

1 out of 3 is not great.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment that was more about SK than JJ, but go ahead with that length of wood situated vertically behind your perineum.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also have to count trades (like Chris Paul), free agency (like Cam Payne), hires like Monty Williams and how the team is put together in evaluating a GM.

My expectations are still high for Jalen Smith and Ty Jerome is still in the league as a later draft pick.

Stix had 15/8 tonight against the Grizz

He’s a player

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty tells JaVale McGee he has changed the team.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I get how he’s a really good guy on the court but I think his biggest impact is off the court. He’s one of those glue guys.

Like you see the pregame antics and he’s always leading it. Getting the team hyped up and keeping everyone loose. You can tell these guys genuinely like playing with each other

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1 out of 3 is not great.
I know Ryan was still GM but I thought I'd heard that it was JJ that pushed for Mikal? Anyway, when you look at how terrible McD's drafts had been other than Booker, it's not a bad guess that James made a difference in the last few Ryan drafts.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Ryan was still GM but I thought I'd heard that it was JJ that pushed for Mikal? Anyway, when you look at how terrible McD's drafts had been other than Booker, it's not a bad guess that James made a difference in the last few Ryan drafts.

I've kind of heard it both ways, that it was James Jones or Robert Sarver who wanted to trade for Mikal Bridges.

It took a lot of convincing for me when the trade was made it wasn't for Shai because I wanted him so much.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've kind of heard it both ways, that it was James Jones or Robert Sarver who wanted to trade for Mikal Bridges.

It took a lot of convincing for me when the trade was made it wasn't for Shai because I wanted him so much.
Yeah I heard that Ryan wanted to trade for Shai but Sarver backed JJ's choice of Mikal. Not that trading for Shai would have been horrible for a team in desparate need of a guard.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I heard that Ryan wanted to trade for Shai but Sarver backed JJ's choice of Mikal. Not that trading for Shai would have been horrible for a team in desparate need of a guard.

If Shai was available in trade, the failure to trade for him certainly expedited McDonough's departure. This may have been his plan to add a point guard. Regardless, the Suns needed a new GM.

James Jones is much more astute in evaluating talent than I initially gave him credit. His drafts have been solid although I may have disagreed on some of his selections. I'm still perplexed why he gave up on Jalen Smith so quickly.

Of course Jones excels in evaluating NBA talent.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Shai was available in trade, the failure to trade for him certainly expedited McDonough's departure. This may have been his plan to add a point guard. Regardless, the Suns needed a new GM.

James Jones is much more astute in evaluating talent than I initially gave him credit. His drafts have been solid although I may have disagreed on some of his selections. I'm still perplexed why he gave up on Jalen Smith so quickly.

Of course Jones excels in evaluating NBA talent.
It's just speculation but I think the Clippers asked for more than an extra pick and that led to Sarver going with JJ's suggestion. LAC always denied that they were considering trading him but that's what you'd expect them to say once they actually drafted him. And yeah, having no point guard absolutely led to Ryan's departure (at least the timing of his departure).

And yeah, Jones is better than Ryan in identifying NBA potential. He understands that what's between the ears matters more than the ability to jump high.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else amazed at some of those alley-oop passes that McGee not only managed to get his hands on but actually scored? I swear I thought at least 3 of those passes were guaranteed turnovers but he converted on all of them.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just speculation but I think the Clippers asked for more than an extra pick and that led to Sarver going with JJ's suggestion. LAC always denied that they were considering trading him but that's what you'd expect them to say once they actually drafted him. And yeah, having no point guard absolutely led to Ryan's departure (at least the timing of his departure).

And yeah, Jones is better than Ryan in identifying NBA potential. He understands that what's between the ears matters more than the ability to jump high.

If the Clippers wanted three draft picks that would have been a deal breaker indeed. The Suns gave up two first round picks to get Bridges.

James Jones is far more active in conversations with other GMs and scouting than I ever dreamed. He operates under the radar.

Now I'm expecting Gabriel Lundberg may be much more than another two-way contract.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Clippers wanted three draft picks that would have been a deal breaker indeed. The Suns gave up two first round picks to get Bridges.

James Jones is far more active in conversations with other GMs and scouting than I ever dreamed. He operates under the radar.

Now I'm expecting Gabriel Lundberg may be much more than another two-way contract.

Didn’t we give up 1?

Are you counting the swap as giving up a pick?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t we give up 1?

Are you counting the swap as giving up a pick?

Yeah, I was mistakenly counting the swap as giving up a pick which it is not. Still there is the mention of an extra draft pick.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
quick question,who on our roster is on a 2 way contract that is not eligible for the playoffs?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
quick question,who on our roster is on a 2 way contract that is not eligible for the playoffs?

Ish Wainright and Gabriel Lundberg are on two-way contracts.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was amazed that we took the lead early in the game, when it seemed like the Pels were on fire and when they missed, their 8 foot center with a 12 foot wing span would stand flat footed and body us so we couldn't jump, and clean up the misses. in the 2nd half they lost their composer, and started rushing all there shots. and that plays right into the Suns hands as we seem to get a lot of energy and confidence when other teams miss shots. slowly chipping down that magic number! Go Suns!!!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was amazed that we took the lead early in the game, when it seemed like the Pels were on fire and when they missed, their 8 foot center with a 12 foot wing span would stand flat footed and body us so we couldn't jump, and clean up the misses. in the 2nd half they lost their composer, and started rushing all there shots. and that plays right into the Suns hands as we seem to get a lot of energy and confidence when other teams miss shots. slowly chipping down that magic number! Go Suns!!!

I think the Pelicans thought they could out run the Suns when they were the ones left gasping for air in the second half.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you would think green would know better than that!

The game last night reminded me a bit of the game with the Heat when the Suns wore them down with their defense and they started missing shots in the second half.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The game last night reminded me a bit of the game with the Heat when the Suns wore them down with their defense and they started missing shots in the second half.
Hasn't this been the standard for Suns wins this year? They stay fairly close until the late third or early fourth and then the suns find another gear and just pull away.