OT: The NFL Combine Weekend thread. Mar 3 - Mar 6

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What was Marco's immediate impact? He was just an average to below average body out there. Didn't help us win any games. He could be replaced by any cheap veteran. I'd rather not waste any more premium capital on Vance Joseph. Give Kliff something new to work with.

Evidently, you've researched this so let me know how Marco was average-below average and didn't contribute to our good start?

Anybody that helps our 'D" is by definition not a wasted pick.

You overstate your point.

P.S. By preference, I'm a BPA in a position of need selector, and while I expect there will be offensive help that fits that criteria, I'm not going to be disturbed by another piece on the Defence.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd rather go Guard than WR I think. Personally I think Keim signs a WR in FA and drafts someone lower.
I really cannot believe anyone wants a guard over a wr in round 1.

Cincinatti had about the worst oline in the league but made it to the superbowl. Why? Because they had a great group of WR and a QB who could get them the ball.

Guards don't win you games, WR's can.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Cincinatti had about the worst oline in the league but made it to the superbowl. Why? Because they had a great group of WR and a QB who could get them the ball.

Guards DO win games. Murray and Burrow aren't the same players. Burrow will stand in and take a hit because he has a bigger frame. Murray doesn't, so the Cardinals need to keep defenders off Murray more than the Bengals would for Burrow.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Im ok with guards if Jameson Williams and Olave are gone.

I would take a guard over Dotson.

Williams and Olave at least have the frames to get bigger. Im over 5'10" and shorter wrs.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Proximo, I'm with Krang on this. The last thing we can do is pooh-pooh the OL. We need to be better across the board with that position. Could you imagine Kyler getting murdered like Burrow did last season? He wouldn't have even made it to the post season with that kind of beating.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And lost the SB due to garbage OL

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If anyone has watched the in-season hard knocks with the Colts...their entire game plan was to rush up the middle on KM, which is no surprise. Once the interior fails...KM buckles. So, solidifying the guard positions would pay huge dividends.
Even if that is true, using a first rounder on a guard is a waste of an asset.

Guards are just not worth first round picks - like ever. You can find guys as street free agents that can be passable guards.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Proximo, I'm with Krang on this. The last thing we can do is pooh-pooh the OL. We need to be better across the board with that position. Could you imagine Kyler getting murdered like Burrow did last season? He wouldn't have even made it to the post season with that kind of beating.
My position is you draft guards fourth round or later or you sign free agents. I would never use a premium pick that needs to be used on premium posistions(T, Edge rusher, QB, WR, CB) on a guard.

Those positions almost never produce a starting caliber player unless they are picked in the top 3 rounds.

It would be one thing if the team was stacked, but we have giant holes at edge rusher, WR, and CB. It is gross mis management to not make our selection one of those positions.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My position is you draft guards fourth round or later or you sign free agents. I would never use a premium pick that needs to be used on premium posistions(T, Edge rusher, QB, WR, CB) on a guard.

Those positions almost never produce a starting caliber player unless they are picked in the top 3 rounds.

It would be one thing if the team was stacked, but we have giant holes at edge rusher, WR, and CB. It is gross mis management to not make our selection one of those positions.
Okay, I'm with you then to a large extent. Unless the G was knock your socks off talented, I'm cool with addressing it later. This is a draft that I really feel Keim needs to absolute crush it. Although he and Kingsbury's seats are ice cold, after last years fiasco where depth became an issue, this is the draft to show he actually knows what the hell he's doing and what this team's needs truly are.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Well, we have Keim ......

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Okay, I'm with you then to a large extent. Unless the G was knock your socks off talented, I'm cool with addressing it later. This is a draft that I really feel Keim needs to absolute crush it. Although he and Kingsbury's seats are ice cold, after last years fiasco where depth became an issue, this is the draft to show he actually knows what the hell he's doing and what this team's needs truly are.
TBH, I have ZERO confidence in Kiem when talking about drafts.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Even if that is true, using a first rounder on a guard is a waste of an asset.

Guards are just not worth first round picks - like ever. You can find guys as street free agents that can be passable guards.
Yeah, no way. There are plenty of examples of first-round guards having monstrous impacts. I would've loved having David DeCastro, for example.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with not drafting Guards in the 1st round if they don’t have versatility. Strictly guards, you don’t draft those in the 1st.

Great guards that could be above-average at OT or C, I’m all for it.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Every year I read people saying not to draft a guard or a center or rb or whatever in the first round. Get them in the third or fourth round, etc.. EVERY year. But, every year we're looking to fill those same positions/holes. :?
Hindsight, but man I wish we traded down the last couple of years. I know Keim isnt great, but also pick up more opportunities for picks. Maybe that was the way to infuse more young talent on this roser. Since we traded a couple of our 2nd and 3rd round picks for vets the previous two years.

If all the wrs are gone I might trade down or out of the 1st round. I dont see that big of a difference between in talent from the end of round 1 to the middle of round 2. Especially if Keim is really set on going DE or CB.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You can do that exercise with every position. You would absolutely take a DeCastro in the 1st because you're an intelligent fan. Now, could Keim pick the right one? Eh...
I don't like saying I wouldn't draft a particular position in round one sans fullback and kicker/punter.

Ray Lewis was easily worth a first round. So was Rob Gronkowski.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't draft Guards in round 1 normally.

But it's absolutely fine to draft one in late round 1 now and again when that guy can hold down that position for 10 years. I'd rather draft one guy in #1 and have it sorted than draft 3-4 guys in round 4-5 over 10 years and never fix it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You don't draft Guards in round 1 normally.

But it's absolutely fine to draft one in late round 1 now and again when that guy can hold down that position for 10 years. I'd rather draft one guy in #1 and have it sorted than draft 3-4 guys in round 4-5 over 10 years and never fix it.
This is well stated. Drafting an OG high would likely be a lousy idea--remember when we did it?--but later in round 1 can be a good idea.