its Official--- It was all about the quan (KM and $$$$)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I dont think he is irreplaceable. He is fast...thats his defining talent.

I would say hes in the top 10 in physical talent, but hes way behind less physically gifted guys as a QB.

I think Kenny Pickett is going to be a good pro. We could role with him....4 year starter with a lot of leadership qualities....put an Oline in front of him and still compete for the playoffs next year.
'Thinking' or rather not really being sure is one hell of a way to replace a guy who still offers what a majority of QBs still then do not offer once drafted, not really a good selling point to pitch towards any owner. You did get something right, we need a OL... an elite guard to bolster the interior of our existing OL would do wonders for our diminutive but extremely talented QB and offense as a whole :)

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I’m hearing the ask is 5 yrs, $250 mil W/$150 mil guaranteed, wouldn’t impact year 4 of current contract. So it must start with 2023 roster bonus.
If this is even close, which given Harry’s previous posts, it is, then I believe K1 screwed the pooch in his one playoff game. He laid down, got laughed, did not support his hurt teammate and gave up on his teammates. And he wants 150 mil guaranteed? SMH.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is even close, which given Harry’s previous posts, it is, then I believe K1 screwed the pooch in his one playoff game. He laid down, got laughed, did not support his hurt teammate and gave up on his teammates. And he wants 150 mil guaranteed? SMH.

What is especially concerning, if the Cardinals commit to paying him this amount of money this off season and he is not their franchise quarterback.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I’m hearing the ask is 5 yrs, $250 mil W/$150 mil guaranteed, wouldn’t impact year 4 of current contract. So it must start with 2023 roster bonus.
Well, now we know the top end they’re asking for. Now it’s a negotiation.

Don’t understand why people are freaking out about this. Not calling back with a response is bush league.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That’s false. He’s a helluva passer. He has a quick release and can drop it in the bucket 40 yards downfield on the run.

You’re right that he has Mike Vick speed, but he combines that with Jay Cutler level arm talent. The problem is it also comes with a side of Jay Cutler attitude.
He has nowhere near the arm of Cutler. His speed is his defining characteristic. It's certainly not reading defenses, being a leader, or playing clutch football.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Don’t understand why people are freaking out about this. Not calling back with a response is bush league.

The offer was bush. They are under no obligation to dignify nonsense.
The guy wants to be the most rewarded player in the history of the NFL after winning 22 games in 3 years. And getting blown out of the only playoff game he ever sniffed.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, here we are. More and more polarizing by day.

I don't have the time to post here as much anymore, but what a horrifically frustrating player. Who really has confidence that we should invest in him right now? Or deal with what a long term commitment to him looks like with Kliff and Keim at the end of their contracts?

I would genuinely sign him to the extension and trade him for picks, but we're over a barrel because Keim knows he has to win now to keep his job. Terrible timing all around.
Keim is in no danger of losing his job. He's best buddies with MB & ain't getting canned. MB trusts in anything Keim tells him. KK will be the first one to go imo.

Dynomite

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd laugh him and his agent out of the building and trade him.
Cardinals fans are like browns fans. Get rid of the only qb that has given you any hope in the last 5 years hoping you’ll just find another one. As if your history doesn’t show you that you won’t. Fans suffer from brain rot.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Those demands are bush league. If that's truly the opening offer, I don't blame the team for letting them know they're unacceptable as even a starting point.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The offer was bush. They are under no obligation to dignify nonsense.
The guy wants to be the most rewarded player in the history of the NFL after winning 22 games in 3 years. And getting blown out of the only playoff game he ever sniffed.

Those demands are bush league. If that's truly the opening offer, I don't blame the team for letting them know they're unacceptable as even a starting point.
Matt Stafford and Derek Carr we’re both the highest paid QBs in the NFL when they signed their extensions. This is what happens when you’re the next QB to sign the extension.

You might not like the argument that Kyler’s people are making (DROY, 2x Pro Bowl, better each year) — I certainly don’t think it tells the whole story. But those are facts. Those are the foundation for a record-setting extension.

Stout

Reaction score
Matt Stafford and Derek Carr we’re both the highest paid QBs in the NFL when they signed their extensions. This is what happens when you’re the next QB to sign the extension.

You might not like the argument that Kyler’s people are making (DROY, 2x Pro Bowl, better each year) — I certainly don’t think it tells the whole story. But those are facts. Those are the foundation for a record-setting extension.
Look at how that worked out for those teams. Repeating bad history isn't a good idea and it isn't the way to become a successful franchise. Reward results, not empty stats and meaningless honors.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Go big or go home.

The Cards won't sign for $50m per and the agent knows.

This is a ploy to take $30, $35 and maybe $40 out of the equation.

In the end, it's all about structure and guarantees.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The "memo" doesn't say they haven't had a response.

Stout

Reaction score
Go big or go home.

The Cards won't sign for $50m per and the agent knows.

This is a ploy to take $30, $35 and maybe $40 out of the equation.

In the end, it's all about structure and guarantees.
Exactly. Right now, 30-35 is about the MAX he should be expecting. He's not the next great thing, and hasn't earned the contract that goes with it...yet. I think he'd be better served showing his mettle this season and, by betting on himself, get the ginormous contract he really wants, but clearly he's not doing that. He's not going to get the contract he thinks he deserves right now, and it's going to cause problems. Or, I should say, more problems. Let's just hope the FO doesn't bungle this as badly as KM (KM's agent) has thus far.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Matt Stafford was highest paid for about 5 minutes but it was a tiny incremental increase. The highest up to that point being $21m and he got $22.5m. But he was a proven NFL QB with 7 years behind him, 5 consecutive 4000+ yard seasons averaging around 4600 per, plus a 5000 yard season and it was his 3rd deal.

(And before anyone says "but playoffs" you can't make excuses for Kyler with surrounding talent and ignore Staffords).

He wasn't a 3rd year QB that has never passed 4000 yards in an offense built around the pass in a passing league. He's never had more than 26 passing TD's when the top QB's are throwing 40+. Stafford had a 41 and 32 season in that span up to his 2016 deal.

Mahomes got $45m a year before Allen but Allen didn't beat it, he got $43m per. Dak Prescott was post both and got $40m per year.

Who does Kyler think he is to ask for $50m after 3 years of achieving nothing when guys that have done much more are taking less? Probably because they know they aren't quite as good as Mahomes.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. Right now, 30-35 is about the MAX he should be expecting. He's not the next great thing, and hasn't earned the contract that goes with it...yet. I think he'd be better served showing his mettle this season and, by betting on himself, get the ginormous contract he really wants, but clearly he's not doing that. He's not going to get the contract he thinks he deserves right now, and it's going to cause problems. Or, I should say, more problems. Let's just hope the FO doesn't bungle this as badly as KM (KM's agent) has thus far.

What he has earned is $30m.

What he would probably get paid in the "The market is nuts for FA QB salaries" is $40m, same as Dak. Anything else he's in fantasy land.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Responders are correct that you always start high. If this info is accurate or even close (keeping next year unchanged) it should be thought of as more like a 6 year deal and that makes it close to Allen’s contract, which did guarantee $150 million. The NFLPA urges agents to always ask for bigger contracts than the last signing of top players. So this is consistent with that request. Also by keeping 2022 intact it helps the Cards’ cap issues allowing them to better prepare for a killer schedule. Would I do it; no! I’d pick up the year 5 option and roll the dice.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NFLPA urges agents to always ask for bigger contracts than the last signing of top players. So this is consistent with that request.

I don't think this holds true any more. Watson, Allen and Dak all signed new deals after Mahomes and none of them for more. Watson for $39m, Dak for $40m, Allen for $43m.

Tannehill signed a new deal for $29.5m per just before Mahomes in 2020 when Wentz, Cousins, Rodgers, Goff, Wilson and Matt Ryan were all earning $30-$35m.

Now the QB salaries have grown so large compared to other positions the days of "I'm going to get paid a little more than the last guy" are over.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yep. Trying to publicly shame the organisation into agreeing to a list of contract demands is a weird approach. And thinking that it will capture public sentiment by doing so is way off base. I'm worried that he has some ordinary people around him.
Shame the Cardinals? Ha! We are the Cardinals. We are use to only winning 5 or 6 games a year.:D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't think this holds true any more. Watson, Allen and Dak all signed new deals after Mahomes and none of them for more. Watson for $39m, Dak for $40m, Allen for $43m.

Tannehill signed a new deal for $29.5m per just before Mahomes in 2020 when Wentz, Cousins, Rodgers, Goff, Wilson and Matt Ryan were all earning $30-$35m.

Now the QB salaries have grown so large compared to other positions the days of "I'm going to get paid a little more than the last guy" are over.
There are a lot of factors that go in to the QB contract negotiation -- that's why you want to get started early! APY isn't the only thing; you also have guaranteed money, fully guaranteed money, and years on the deal. They all matter!

A shorter contract with less guaranteed money could be better because it allows a player to take a second bite at the free agency apple (this is basically what D.J. Humphries did).
A longer contract with less guaranteed money provides more security for a cash-strapped team and allows the player to easily re-negotiate down the line or take a second bite of the FA apple if released
A longer contract with more guaranteed money allows the QB to feel comfortable
where they are and fully invest with additional protection

Dak got $30 million more in guaranteed money than Mahomes and his contract voids after 2025. Josh Allen's contract ends three years before Mahomes' does and he got $9 million more in guaranteed money and $37 million more in fully guaranteed money.

They're all good deals; not every team wants to sign their guy for a decade.