Kyler + Coaching

klint1988

Reaction score
Lets keep this short and simple. We have one of the best qb talents in recent years that is very unhappy.
We have a head coach that has collapsed the last 7 seasons and all 7 in his career as a head coach. Clearly excellent at marketing himself and smooth talking his way out of things.

I'm a little lost, we have a team that could win it all.....why is the AZ Cardinals community not in uproar and taking to social media to call for a coaching change?
This team and city deserves it.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
There is equal responsibility between Keim/Kliff/Murray. Murry is supremely talented with several flaws. Kliff is in over his head as a NFL HC. Keim couldn't draft a beer on tap at a local watering hole.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because he won 11 games?

How many coaches get fired after 11 win+ seasons? Especially ones that are still only 42.

I'm sure the cards currently see Kliff as an ascending talent.

And to be fair, while I have had my issues with him he's no worse than Zac Taylor, so if he can get to a SB...

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Because he won 11 games?

How many coaches get fired after 11 win+ seasons? Especially ones that are still only 42.

I'm sure the cards currently see Kliff as an ascending talent.

And to be fair, while I have had my issues with him he's no worse than Zac Taylor, so if he can get to a SB...
As of now Zac Taylor is the better HC. He took the Bengals to the Super Bowl in year three. Where did Kliff take the Cardinals in year three, to one embarrassing, lopsided playoff loss.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
The history of great QBs can be summed up basically by them being drafted by the right team in the right system and circumstances. Kyler ideally should have been drafted by New Orleans. He would have shined under Sean Payton and had a year to learn under Drew.

No QB with KM's talent is going to reach his potential under a rookie head coach and mediocre at best asst coaches. KM might just end up being one of those QBs who have a ton of yardage and TD's when he retires, but never takes his team anywhere.

Kyler would do better under a well established father like figure as a head coach. Unfortunately, I won't be surprised if this last year is the best the Cards ever do with KK and Kyler.

Just remember though that we are the Cardinals. And to be above .500 and come close to making the playoffs each year would be huge compared to the Cards history in AZ. There are many years we would have loved that being the case.

I guess the only year we as fans don't bitch and moan about something will be that time year long ago when we went to the S.B. and nearly won. Many of you younger fans will one day be in a nursing home reminiscing and telling your grand kids about the year we nearly won it all.

I can see it now: "Come here and sit beside me Timmy and Shirley. I am going to tell you about the time our team nearly won the S.B."

"You are kidding, aren't you pops. The Cards really went to the S.B. once?"

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The history of great QBs can be summed up basically by them being drafted by the right team in the right system and circumstances. Kyler ideally should have been drafted by New Orleans. He would have shined under Sean Payton and had a year to learn under Drew.

No QB with KM's talent is going to reach his potential under a rookie head coach and mediocre at best asst coaches. KM might just end up being one of those QBs who have a ton of yardage and TD's when he retires, but never takes his team anywhere.

Kyler would do better under a well established father like figure as a head coach. Unfortunately, I won't be surprised if this last year is the best the Cards ever do with KK and Kyler.

Just remember though that we are the Cardinals. And to be above .500 and come close to making the playoffs each year would be huge compared to the Cards history in AZ. There are many years we would have loved that being the case.

I guess the only year we as fans don't bitch and moan about something will be that time year long ago when we went to the S.B. and nearly won. Many of you younger fans will one day be in a nursing home reminiscing and telling your grand kids about the year we nearly won it all.

I can see it now: "Come here and sit beside me Timmy and Shirley. I am going to tell you about the time our team nearly won the S.B."

Wow. Just wow. I can't believe you actually held KM responsible. Wait, that's wrong. I can't believe you actually gave some responsibility for his negative play to KM. Nope, wrong again. I can't believe you said KM even has one little thing wrong with his game. Nah, you didn't say that either. Instead, it's ALL because he doesn't have the perfect circumstances to succeed and he doesn't have a father figure head coach! I mean, what's next? KM would succeed if only we drafted 3 HOF players this year?

We KNOW KM would be better with a better coach, or better overall circumstances. KK and Keim suck. We know. What we also currently know is, even in those perfect circumstances, he's still not going to take us to the promised land because he is seriously flawed due to his mentality and approach to the game. His maturity, unless it changes, will ruin his career. You know it, I know it. You admitted as much when you gave the Kirk Cousins comparison above--still without attributing any part of the blame to one of the major culprits: KM himself.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If only Kyler had several months to himself where he can undertake independent coaching and work on things he knows he needs to improve...

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
As of now Zac Taylor is the better HC. He took the Bengals to the Super Bowl in year three. Where did Kliff take the Cardinals in year three, to one embarrassing, lopsided playoff loss.
Zac Taylor Whisenhunt’d the Bengals to the Super Bowl. Not necessarily a bad thing. Rode a hot QB and defense. His record is still 19-33-1. They may very well regress.

Stout

Reaction score
If only Kyler had several months to himself where he can undertake independent coaching and work on things he knows he needs to improve...
He has every chance to evaluate his game, analyze what he needs to change, and attack those changes, and become the star QB that can lead us to great places. He has that chance this offseason. He has the time and resources, but does he have the drive? Can he step out of his arrogance and admit he NEEDS to change? I don't want to hear, "Oh, but AGE," and, "Oh, but inexperience!" He's got to want it, and if he doesn't, he will fail.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Because he said so himself. He doesn't need to watch extra film. He just "sees" the field lol
Watching extra film and going out and working on your craft, physically, are not mutually exclusive. Heck, he even had teammates in Texas during covid off-season 2020 and hardly anyone knew about it, until after the fact, because he kept it private.

Stout

Reaction score
Watching extra film and going out and working on your craft, physically, are not mutually exclusive. Heck, he even had teammates in Texas during covid off-season 2020 and hardly anyone knew about it, until after the fact, because he kept it private.
They aren't, no. Unfortunately he put in all the time physically--which is good, as he should--but didn't put in the extra study time he clearly needs to. That's the big question. Regardless of if he makes it public or not, will he start doing that?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler keeps running backwards in the pocket. I'd like to know how much of that is coaching and not playing under center.
Part of it is not playing under center much, but Kyler doesn't like that so Coach Bro just says "Cool. Let's just go shotgun then.". Part of play action is being under center to make it more difficult for the defense to defend whether it's run or pass. It's such an important part of an effective NFL offense these days. Give the runners a chance once in while Kliff.

There is also the art of the slide. Kurt Warner was a master at sliding to the side, stepping up into the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield the entire time. I don't think it's all instinctual, it can be practiced in to a QBs skillset. With Kyler he too often misses the pocket (on the rare occasion there is one) and runs AWAY from it. Maybe it's, as some have said, he can't see through all of the redwoods. Or, it could be he just doesn't have the football IQ to make the snap decisions a QB needs to make. NOTE: I am not saying KM is not intelligent, it just looks like to me his FOOTBALL IQ is pretty low. I've sort of accepted "he's young, only had one year in college, it's only his (first), (second), (third) year, etc., etc. BUT, now it's his 4th year, it's time to grow up, step up and take the reins of this team.

Part of his slow growth curve is coaching, no doubt. It's not just about the playbook, it's about mechanics, footwork and dedication to his craft. He's either got good QB coaching and is unteachable or hasn't had QB coaching worth a peanut. Put down the gamepad and pick up the IPad young mister Murray. If you don't, you can't take the team to the Promised Land.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of it is not playing under center much, but Kyler doesn't like that so Coach Bro just says "Cool. Let's just go shotgun then.". Part of play action is being under center to make it more difficult for the defense to defend whether it's run or pass. It's such an important part of an effective NFL offense these days. Give the runners a chance once in while Kliff.

There is also the art of the slide. Kurt Warner was a master at sliding to the side, stepping up into the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield the entire time. I don't think it's all instinctual, it can be practiced in to a QBs skillset. With Kyler he too often misses the pocket (on the rare occasion there is one) and runs AWAY from it. Maybe it's, as some have said, he can't see through all of the redwoods. Or, it could be he just doesn't have the football IQ to make the snap decisions a QB needs to make. NOTE: I am not saying KM is not intelligent, it just looks like to me his FOOTBALL IQ is pretty low. I've sort of accepted "he's young, only had one year in college, it's only his (first), (second), (third) year, etc., etc. BUT, now it's his 4th year, it's time to grow up, step up and take the reins of this team.

Part of his slow growth curve is coaching, no doubt. It's not just about the playbook, it's about mechanics, footwork and dedication to his craft. He's either got good QB coaching and is unteachable or hasn't had QB coaching worth a peanut. Put down the gamepad and pick up the IPad young mister Murray. If you don't, you can't take the team to the Promised Land.

None of this is good if it's not correctable by coaching.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do you know he doesn’t?

I don't know he doesn't. Although I doubt it as a) Everyone goes on about how he only listens to his father and b) it's not a secret. Either Kyler's people or the Coaches people would put it out there as it's good PR for both.

But either way it defeats the point that Kliff isn't coaching him well enough because either Kyler is refusing independent coaching to get better, or he's taking it but it's not fixing his issues.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So much for facts. I guess direct quotes are "rumors and innuendo." Once again, a marvelous, sniping contribution to this board. Where are your incisive takes, @tnmike?
Glad to see you are enjoying them. Hang on while I come up with some more for you

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I don't know he doesn't. Although I doubt it as a) Everyone goes on about how he only listens to his father and b) it's not a secret. Either Kyler's people or the Coaches people would put it out there as it's good PR for both.

But either way it defeats the point that Kliff isn't coaching him well enough because either Kyler is refusing independent coaching to get better, or he's taking it but it's not fixing his issues.
Like I mentioned previously, though, he hosted teammates in Texas, during covid and it wasn't publicly known until after the fact. They are quite capable of keeping things secret.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like I mentioned previously, though, he hosted teammates in Texas, during covid and it wasn't publicly known until after the fact. They are quite capable of keeping things secret.

As I said, if he is doing it then he's not getting better with another coach either so it's not Kliff's fault.

If he's not then, well, he's not and he can hardly blame Kliff he's he's not getting other coaching.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA