Why the collapse???

Reaction score
It is weird, can someone tell me why the cardinals collapsed the last 2 years? I’m sure kliff is fair with them during the season, and doesnt over work them. They have proven vets. Why?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopkins and Watt going down, we relied way too much on those guys and lost a lot of our identity with their injuries. Along with CB room regressing and Alford injury. Lack of adjustments by coaching staff down the stretch too IMO.
Alford and Wilson missed significant time. The injuries at CB were huge even Murphy was playing injured at some point.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
I think it will be the same answer as everywhere else:

Keim
Kliff (and all the coaches)
Kyler

The buck largely stops with them in most cases.
Not sure about this
They were playing well for most of tge season
They have good established players
I think steve keim has done a good job
But i think tgelack of adjustments is the main reason
Other team adjust, we dont

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
go back and watch the second half of the season. The QB sucks, he misses open receivers, gets happy feet and turns the ball over.

It starts and stops with the qb position, the most important position in sports. Kyler is not good at it.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alford and Wilson missed significant time. The injuries at CB were huge even Murphy was playing injured at some point.
True, but all teams - including successful playoff ones like the Packers - had key injuries this year. The Rams had to pull Eric Weddle off his couch/recliner.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keim did bring in players to try and cover injuries, like Breeland. Although VJs system takes 3 years to learn and you are either in the system or you are out.

I also think maybe they do adjust the O and D. Just maybe not in a good way. Kliffs adjustments seem to have players not in sync, maybe it’s a step too far from what was working? VJs just confuses everyone and is weak sauce. It seems like the pass rush is literally everyone going straight at the QB, hardly any stunts etc. and his DBs look confused and appear to be told to cover air 10 yards from opposing receivers.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure about this
They were playing well for most of tge season
They have good established players
I think steve keim has done a good job
But i think tgelack of adjustments is the main reason
Other team adjust, we dont
It depends on how you define “most of the season”.

Keim is responsible for the talent on the field and this team was lacking at several areas even without injuries. He has done some decent things but not enough. I am biased against him admittedly but I will acknowledge the good things he has done.

It is more than adjustments but clearly this coaching staff is not entirely up to the task as I mentioned. I question if the players are actually executing the play calls as intended so let’s not let the players off the hook.

Any way you examine it, Kyler has been fair to downright awful since the 10-2 start and I am not sure anyone can legitimately defend his play.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler play good

Then...

Kyler play bad.

Kyler weeks 1-8

284.5 yards per game
17/7 TD to INT ratio
2.12 TD's per game
72.41 comp %
Passer rating 109
8.84 YPA

Kyler weeks 12-17

251 yards per game
7/3 TD/INT ratio
1.16 TD's per game
66.29 comp %
Passer rating 94.9
6.84 YPA

His TD's per game dropped a whole 1. Nearly halved.

His TD to INT ratio doubled.

His comp % dropped over 6 percentage points.

His passer rating dropped 15 points and YPA dropped a whole 2 yards or 25%.

Two completely different players.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
#1 I never thought it was possible for anyone to operate under "The System Works" philosphy to a greater degree than WhisenPunt, but Kliffy absolutely does.

#2 Arrogance. Pure arrogance. Kyler and Kliff have a ton of hubirs. It seems they both think their gifts are so superior they can just show up and dominate. Forget adjustments and learning from your mistakes.

#3 Lack of accountablity from Owner to GM to coaches to players. Buddy-buddy Laissez-faire front office to coach bro approach has been a failure. Where is the leadership? Where is the pride? Where is the dedication?

Last edited:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, but they affect different teams in different ways. I think for us it really comes down to lack of quality depth and/or coaching staff not adjusting properly to the adversity.
Very true. We count on our top players to a fault. We lose one or two of them and we are screwed. And yes, our lack of depth hurts.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Possibly part of it is coach bro doesn't have the team in shape and disciplined to play an entire season. He seems to run a playground camp. I mean who gives his team cell phone time? Sounds like kindergarten ok it's nap time. I would hope that down the stretch they were losing their privilege's.

Reaction score
Kyler play good

Then...

Kyler play bad.

Kyler weeks 1-8

284.5 yards per game
17/7 TD to INT ratio
2.12 TD's per game
72.41 comp %
Passer rating 109
8.84 YPA

Kyler weeks 12-17

251 yards per game
7/3 TD/INT ratio
1.16 TD's per game
66.29 comp %
Passer rating 94.9
6.84 YPA

His TD's per game dropped a whole 1. Nearly halved.

His TD to INT ratio doubled.

His comp % dropped over 6 percentage points.

His passer rating dropped 15 points and YPA dropped a whole 2 yards or 25%.

Two completely different players.
Is this some sort of new math that the Brits use? It's 2.3 vs 2.4. Neither one is good. He goes from throwing an int every 2.4 td's to throwing an int every 2.3 td's.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
QB play and lack of understanding O/D - Kyler doesn't understand that he has to take what the opponent gives him as long as he can get it, if that means he has to step up and throw 4 yard passes or fake the throw and run for 6 yards, he has to do it. If the D gives him an easy 1st down, take it. Take the high % completion and learn to finish that off. This blunders happend in the wins but cost us in the losses. Many now question if he even understand all X and O and tendencies of his opponent and opponent DC and if the quote of him saying he doesn't need to study tape many hours, I'm not convinced he ever will be a Great QB in the NFL good enough for maybe 1 great season and can win you a SB with a great DC and a great D but else, the second half season Kyler Murray isn't a world beater, more a chocker.

The next "fact" is, that our D coordinator isn't good. He can't get a normal gameplan, his guys too often get lost and give up a big play. That doesn't work together with a bend don't break D. That goes together with a D that produces pressure, negative plays and turnovers. Doesn't work for a D that can't stop run or pass if life depends on it because nobody knows where he should be. Young players only find a spot on the field if the position coach is great and even than it depends.

GM, is hard to judge, Reddick is what he was supposed to be a OLB Stud, he didn't retain him because our great Coaches didn't play him in the position that he should have played and we didn't commit to a "one year wonder". Difficult to argue. Else he busted on many 1st rounders or we only had a limited amount of utility by them.

Humphries had a bad 2 game strech, even thought he is the 2nd best player on the O-line behind the center and a top 20 LT, but also here, sometimes difficult to understand if Kyler produces more problems than he reduces. A good QB makes the OL look better, Kyler 100% isn't doing that yet.

And Kliff, he has some warts, sometimes it seems he is removing them but often they come back faster than you think.

Lame Duck HC incoming, that with a negativ record will be fired.