Should the Cards Trade or Cut Humphries?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I’ve been a DJ advocate since he got here, but his play wasn’t becoming of a top-tier LT. When Beachem replaced him for a game, I’d barely noticed DJ’s absence. Plus, we have Beachem for another year. If cut, we’d save $14 mil on the cap, and with many contracts going up in value, such as Hopkins, Keim needs to free up space. This might be a somewhat easy way to get that space

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we cut Justin Pugh we save $10 million and only eat $2 million. I would do that and keep Humphries. Tackles are harder to replace especially an LT.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can cut Himp this offseason with minimal impact, but we'd need to have someone in place to replace him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Play calling , moving the pocket , quick short passes, drawsand knowing when to just throw the ball away will negate some of the pass rush. We did none of that.

You can add keeping aback into block or a Te end in motion to block helps too. Going empty backfield when you’re getting bull rushed is just dumb.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Our tackles and center are fine. I think if we upgraded both guard spots, our line could be good. If we got a couple of solid guards, it would improve both sides of the line.
Like others have said, it's not so easy to replace a tackle (especially LT). DJ may not be great but he is servicable.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we cut Justin Pugh we save $10 million and only eat $2 million. I would do that and keep Humphries. Tackles are harder to replace especially an LT.

Pugh is a decent guard. Had a 77.7 pass blocking grade. That the 13th best grade for a guard with 500+ snaps. His run blocking isn't good though.

Hump is not good and saves more money.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our tackles and center are fine. I think if we upgraded both guard spots, our line could be good. If we got a couple of solid guards, it would improve both sides of the line.
Like others have said, it's not so easy to replace a tackle (especially LT). DJ may not be great but he is servicable.

Disagree. The only 2 O line I'd keep is Pugh and Hudson. The rest can all go.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
My opinion is they cut no one. Realize the entire Oline will be UFA in 2023. If anything, the team may extend a couple of these guys, not cut them.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are going to move on from him, (which I don't think that they do) you trade him.

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
No way you cut him. If you want to move on from him, there will be teams willing to give up at least some sort of compensation. I mean just look at the Bengals Oline for example, they are terrible...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
some folks just dont understand oline.

any of y'all know how long they are supposed to give the qb to throw? 3 seconds... thats the job, and on most teams the qb works with about 2.5 seconds. yesterday, kyler actually had about 3.3 seconds on average which is pretty damned good.....quite a bit better than our season average.
Hump,...is a starting LT in the NFL... the guy would start for at least half the teams in the league.... I bet he would love it if he got cut,...because he would get way more from a new team...and a big fat signing bonus..... whereas we,...well,...we would have to pay 20mil a year to replace him and give the new guy a 35-45mil signing bonus....and the replacement likely wouldnt be much if any better... because franchise level LT's DO NOT become free agents in the nfl..... so,...who is gonna be the real smart one and suggest we can draft a starting LT at 25?? or wherever we draft... no.

Pugh has played pretty well for us overall,... but he has declined a little this year. I would suggest to him an extension at a lower rate.... but if he refuses I cant say that I would jump in and cut him.... our left side has been our strength on the oline... garcia and jones have been the biggest issues.... now about that draft pick...you cant get a starting LT at 25.... but you can get a starting interior lineman. I would draft a center. why?? Great centers are hard to get and aside from the quick feet required to play LT center is the hardest position to play on the line....but guard is the easiest...so draft a big strong smart center, then put him at RG...and for the enxt season or two...he gets NFL playing experience,...he gets nfl coaching,...he gets nfl level strength and conditioning...and he gets to see exactly what hudson sees on every play and hear what line call he makes. This should help him develop quicker while at the same time giving us a starting guard....and hudsons career is winding down,...we are well advised to not wait until he is done to draft his replacement....two birds, one stone

WR.... keep HOP, Moore, and wesley... offer kirk 5/40 and if he says no wish him the best of luck....5/60 is probably closer to his market value, however...while I generally like kirk....dude is not clutch.... while green, always been a fan,...green is disinterested and looks like an automaton on the field....and his concentration at key points in the game is terrible. I was happy with his season production but we need that position to be filled by a more dynamic player, and one who can grow with the team.

this is supposed to be a good draft for corners..sweet...we should draft a guy. but since the league has been starving for corners the past couple seasons my guess is we will see a run on them early as teams try and get their share. So we should take advantage of that and draft other positions...much more likely good players will slide... but I would still get one in the fourth or fifth round.

Dline...damn,...so hard to judge these guys..... but in obvious short yardage situations they rarely got pushed back and made quite a few good stops...so right now my guess is they were hampered more by scheme than lack of ability. But Peters is old...watt is coming to an end... I would draft a true NT at this point... 6 foot 3 and 340 lbs kinda guy...a guy who may not crash the pocket,... but two guys cant push him back....if he happens to be twitchy thats a huge bonus.

there is a lot to look at for the coming off season. the biggest issues are getting quality starters. Its hard to draft those guys where we need them. especially in the strength positions. its biology/physiology... the human male is not full grown until about 25 years old. most guys getting drafted are 21-22... its not as big an issue for speed but it is for strength. you obviously have the occasional genetic freak, the outliers... but all things being equal, a 25 year old is just stronger than a 21 year old. Thats why its common to see rookies who were dominant in college get manhandled in the nfl.... then when you throw in technique some of those guys get embarrassed..... then after a few years they get better...some of it is coaching but a huge part of it is just getting stronger through maturation...its also why you see guys who had a mediocre college career suddenly blossom and have a fantastic senior year... they are more physically developed than their competition.

Trades... steve keim is great at trades, his strongest department by far.

but what team is going to trade away an all pro olineman in his prime? what would a team have to pay to get Aaron Donald from the rams?
the simple fact is, most players worth trading for arent the players a team is willing to give up. which team has the depth, that they can trade us a starting calibre LT and not suffer for it? we might find a WR thats sitting at third wr on a team,...who can come in and play wr2 for us. but you cant really look at the upcoming off season with the mentality that your gonna go out and make a few trades to upgrade your team.
and honestly,...you could make some trades, give up your future,..to build an all pro offensive line.... but it would be easier and smarter, to make a trade for a quarterback that doesnt need an all pro line in order to be successful.