Rondale "Bust" Moore

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree on this one. I dont think he's a bust, and I don't think he's soft. I think he has the potential be really good, but I don't think he was used well. After the first 1/3 of the season, I wanted to see his role keep expanding. He has the quickness and route running to be a solid slot WR, like a welker, Edelman, renfrow. Instead they did nothing but throw him screens and jet sweeps and teams figured it out quickly.

I would say a bigger problem is Kyler can't throw it over the middle, so Moore is going to have a hard time growing into that role.

I certainly think he is better than Kirk. I think that a WR corp of Hopkins, Legit #2 Outside WR, and Moore in the slot is really solid and has room to grow.

People keep saying this Kyler led the NFL in completion % over the middle this year. I don't know the final number but they said last night something like 70 to 80 percent over the middle, Griese mentioned it more than once he was surprised we weren't doing it more against the Rams particularly to ertz.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People keep saying this Kyler led the NFL in completion % over the middle this year. I don't know the final number but they said last night something like 70 to 80 percent over the middle, Griese mentioned it more than once he was surprised we weren't doing it more against the Rams particularly to ertz.
It was 80% before the game, not sure what it ended up being either.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If that's true I guess I am wrong, but I swear it doesnt seem like it. It seems like maybe when he's scrambling for his life he finds guys over the middle?

I don't recall a lot of time of him stepping up in the pocket and hitting his slot WR

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it was Mena Kimes that pointed that out before the game yesterday. Couple that with the Rams being the worst defending that area and the absolute ignoring of Ertz was inexcusable. Again pointing to KK’s total myopia when preparing his scripted plays and scheme IMO.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Hated the pick then and he’s done nothing to change my thinking. He’s a gadget player, nothing more.

Wanted Freiermuth at that pick. He already has been and will be a much better player.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hated the pick then and he’s done nothing to change my thinking. He’s a gadget player, nothing more.

Wanted Freiermuth at that pick. He already has been and will be a much better player.
You think he would be a stud on this team? I don't. People see a player having success on one team and automatically assume that he would have success on a different team.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
A. Dude is a rookie

B. dude had an average depth of target of 1.5 yds

C. dude had an average yards after catch of over 7 yards

D. dude, double up on the BPD meds for a couple days after a game...it helps

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Imagine if we picked Creed Humphrey and Friermuth. This is not revisionist history, this was an obvious path that many fans were calling for. Kyler wanted Creed badly and now he's the best center in the league as a rookie. I'm sure he could play guard if you still wanted to go get Hudson. We would be in a 10x better spot right now. I have no doubt that any random fan can draft better than Steve Keim. Totally clueless on how to build a football team, which is why every position group is patched over with aging, often injured veteran rentals. Once they inevitably go down, season's over. No young depth at all because of abysmal drafting.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If Moore was playing for Kansas City or even with the Saints and Payton's approach and used right, it would be laughable to call him a bust. I bet if Simmons played for the Seahawks we would not even be contemplating him as a bust... I bet if Conner played for the Steelers or Patriots we would be asking why did we not draft him lol
You could add New Orleans among others. We certainly are good at noting failure. Maybe not as good at pinpointing the cause. I’m seeing threads on Simmons, Collins and numerous others. I can tell you several of these guys were high on other team’s boards. So maybe it’s more of a coaching issue than a drafting issue.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also imagine if Miami hadn't taken the guy we wanted. Remember right close to the draft lots of people still had us getting Waddle and it was fairly widely reported we really liked him. Miami surprised lots of people taking him 6th very few people had him projected quite that high more in the 12-18 area, we picked 16th. he ended up with an NFL rookie record 104 catches, 1015 yards. They used him very much like we used rondale too just more targets and slightly more downfield. That's the guy I wanted all along but the Dolphins surprised everyone taking him. If he had been on the board and we took him, maybe we took Freiermuth or a LB in round 2.

I do like Rondale I think he'll be much better next year

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could add New Orleans among others. We certainly are good at noting failure. Maybe not as good at pinpointing the cause. I’m seeing threads on Simmons, Collins and numerous others. I can tell you several of these guys were high on other team’s boards. So maybe it’s more of a coaching issue than a drafting issue.

Simmons was one of the more polarizing guys in his draft though there were extensive threads on here where some NFL teams loved him and some said we don't know what position he'd play. So his situation is not a shock.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When was the last you remember seeing Moore beyond line if scrimmage taking a slant or crossing route for a TD?. No one is expecting 1000 yard season but Moore was such a disappointment over the course of 18 games for a second round pick..
He can only run the routes he is told to run, and only catch passes that are thrown too him.

I have a problem with the way the coaching staff used him, not his performance for the chances he has been given.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If he’s tiny then Steve Smith is tiny too….yes he’s no Steve Smith but they are about the same size
As I said, I'm tired of tiny receivers that do jack. Did Steve Smith produce? Yes, so I would love to have had him. Unfortunately, RM is like 90% of the other tiny college receivers that try to make the NFL. So far.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I disagree on this one. I dont think he's a bust, and I don't think he's soft. I think he has the potential be really good, but I don't think he was used well. After the first 1/3 of the season, I wanted to see his role keep expanding. He has the quickness and route running to be a solid slot WR, like a welker, Edelman, renfrow. Instead they did nothing but throw him screens and jet sweeps and teams figured it out quickly.

I would say a bigger problem is Kyler can't throw it over the middle, so Moore is going to have a hard time growing into that role.

I certainly think he is better than Kirk. I think that a WR corp of Hopkins, Legit #2 Outside WR, and Moore in the slot is really solid and has room to grow.
Well, he isn't even in the same ball park as Kirk yet, so...

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
If Moore was playing for Kansas City or even with the Saints and Payton's approach and used right, it would be laughable to call him a bust. I bet if Simmons played for the Seahawks we would not even be contemplating him as a bust... I bet if Conner played for the Steelers or Patriots we would be asking why did we not draft him lol
You're low-key joking here, right, because Conner was drafted by and played for the Steelers.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whew, not much to say in his defense at this point. Still would like to see him with a non-moronic "everyone must be Einstein" DC that can coach to his strengths. And yes, before you say it, he does have them :)
I(& others) can say this about Rondale, but as evidenced on the 1st page, you won’t buy it being the coaches fault like you will with Simmons despite him having a bigger sample size to go off.

Just remember this:

The 8th overall pick of the 2020 draft got benched by a backup in the playoffs because he’s still bad at playing the run

I don’t want Simmons to fail, but sheesh, that is YIKES.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Moore was used the same way in college.

For his entire career, Moore’s average depth of target is just 5.8 yards downfield. In 2020, that number was only 3.6.

I'm not sure if his issues are on him or his coaching, but watching him get chased down by a 32-year-old Von Miller last night was tough to watch.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sorry, but this kid has been a bust thus far. I hope he can flourish moving forward, but my fears for this pick have been more than realized. Can't stay healthy. A liability on KR (he cost us dearly when he brought the kick out, pinning us back again). Nothing downfield--one of his only catches he gifted to the DB as an INT, and only the DB's good will gave him the ball back. King of the 1-yard or negative-yard specials. Just a complete waste.
The 1-yard or negative yard comment should fall squarely on coaching and play calling. I have been pissed all year with these stupid play designs. All they do is put us in a hole at the beginning of every drive.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We asked him to suck on special teams too?

We didn't actually draft him to return kicks I don't think the book on him in college was he didn't really return them. I think it became apparent in camp that we had nobody else and didn't want to use Kirk, so we tried Rondale. Early in the year he had several returns where he was one block away from busting it, but it's been awhile since one of those happened.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I(& others) can say this about Rondale, but as evidenced on the 1st page, you won’t buy it being the coaches fault like you will with Simmons despite him having a bigger sample size to go off.

Just remember this:

The 8th overall pick of the 2020 draft got benched by a backup in the playoffs because he’s still bad at playing the run

and yet their other first round draft pick has the best run grade of all players on the team (in limited snaps) and he can't see the field either...

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score

Just remember this:

Oh, it's bad for Simmons. Absolutely. I was screaming about Vallejo being in there, believe you me. As for Rondale, I agree that the coaches did him absolutely no favors. Maybe if they utilized him better he would be better. Like you with Simmons, though, I never wanted Moore because of exactly what we've seen out of him.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose