2023 Cardinals Head Coach Options

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But didn’t we request an interview with him and he turned us down? Why would we want to interview him if we weren’t going to hire him?
Rooney rule.

The media has been pushing for this guy to get hired for years now. With how starved this league is for OCs, you would believe he would have been hired as a HC now. Either cause of his controversial history(most likely) or teams don’t want to get burned like the Bears did hiring former Chiefs’ OC, Matt Nagy.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mac Jones looked amazing his rookie season, and McDaniels really worked magic with unconventional talents in Cam Newton and Tim Tebow.

Mike Kafka will be our next head coach. He’ll have six seasons under Reid at that point and maybe one as OC/play caller (depending on what happens with Bienemy). By all accounts, he was Mahomes’ QB whisperer his rookie season.
Sounds better than what we have now for sure.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Whoever will light a fire under Kyler works for me. I think Kyler would shut down with Jim though.
KM would complain about getting his butt burned if a coach tried to light a fire under his behind. I don't see KM working well with any coach who would kick his keister.

Reactions: PJ1
OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cardinals get leftovers from any coaching search. Always plan for leftovers. Always.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is that the Cards need to fire Kingsbury.

Then comes the next hire. I'm not excited about Keim picking in the draft let alone picking the next head coach.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Then comes the next hire. I'm not excited about Keim picking in the draft let alone picking the next head coach.
Steve Keim is the CEO of Cardinals. He can hire any number of coaches.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If I were Bidwill I would tell Keim he is no longer in charge of the draft. He can keep his GM title, but all draft related responsibilities are going to someone else. If he doest like it he can quit.

His draft record is SO bad that its the only thing that makes sense.

Bidwill can't be afraid to at least ruffle feathers if he is not going to out right fire people.

Keim- you are no longer running the draft
Kliff - you are getting an OC who calls plays
Vance - you are fired
Buckner - you are the new DC.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team has not given Kyler an extension yet. If a new coach, regardless of his style, can't get something better out of him, then why extend him beyond his rookie contract. Can't he be franchised if the FO wants another year to decide?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If I were Bidwill I would tell Keim he is no longer in charge of the draft. He can keep his GM title, but all draft related responsibilities are going to someone else. If he doest like it he can quit.

His draft record is SO bad that its the only thing that makes sense.

Bidwill can't be afraid to at least ruffle feathers if he is not going to out right fire people.

Keim- you are no longer running the draft
Kliff - you are getting an OC who calls plays
Vance - you are fired
Buckner - you are the new DC.

So you think this is an arrangement that plays to Kliff's strengths?

What is the rationale for making Buckner DC?

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
dan orlovsky,

if anyone has seen him on nfl network, his football IQ is incredible.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

For some reason Buckner is on Twitter replying to negative tweets about his coaching. I have a feeling he is reading this forum right now.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Oh no...I would fire Kliff for sure. I just don't think Bidwill will do it. I wish he would, but I put it at 85% chance Kliff is back next year...so how do we improve the situation? Take playcalling away from Kliff? I dont really know the answer.

As far as Buckner, I think he deserves a shot. He is a well respected position coach. He has had success in multiple spots around the NFL. At some point you have to give these guys a shot unless you are just going to keep bringing in retread after retread. I would rather promote a position coach with a pretty proven track record and respect around the league than try to bring in someone who was just fired from another team.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we could resurrect the perfect coach for us, it would be George Allen, the perfect match for our GM, who can't draft worth a hoot. Allen didn't like rookies and draft picks, and would rather trade them for established experienced players. With Allen one thing that would be different for sure. We would always have a great offensive and defensive line.

And with Allen, you'd have a beat-up, tired team in the end because of notoriously hard practices.... and no Super Bowls.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Oh no...I would fire Kliff for sure. I just don't think Bidwill will do it. I wish he would, but I put it at 85% chance Kliff is back next year...so how do we improve the situation? Take playcalling away from Kliff? I dont really know the answer.

As far as Buckner, I think he deserves a shot. He is a well respected position coach. He has had success in multiple spots around the NFL. At some point you have to give these guys a shot unless you are just going to keep bringing in retread after retread. I would rather promote a position coach with a pretty proven track record and respect around the league than try to bring in someone who was just fired from another team.
Didn't he get fired from Oakland like last year?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Didn't he get fired from Oakland like last year?
He did. But..

With Oakland, Buckner helped the Raiders improve from 13 sacks in 2018 to 32 in 2019 and finished 8th in the NFL against the run after finishing 30th in 2018. Buckner tutored rookie defensive linemen Maxx Crosby (fourth-round) and Clelin Ferrell (first-round) with the Raiders. Crosby had 10 sacks, four forced fumbles and four passes defensed while Ferrell had 4.5 sacks and five passes defensed.

He had success under Bowles both here and in TB. I would bring in Bowles as a HC with Buckner as the DC any day of the week...but I think that is wishful thinking.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
And with Allen, you'd have a beat-up, tired team in the end because of notoriously hard practices.... and no Super Bowls.
LOL ...... gotta admit back then most players had pot bellies and chain smoked. I think today's players know that if they aren't in shape they wouldn't even make the team.

Unlike this year's Cards team who tried to finish the season with a bunch of players who were hobbled by injuries, major and minor, and in & out of the lineup from game to game. You can't win, or even fully compete, at this level with a bunch of limping bandaged up players, not too mention some glaring weaknesses in some areas, like a young inexperienced not ready for prime time HC.

Last edited: