On Simmons

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I joked about it last year he was a TE playing LB. Obviously he's still young but that was pathetic that we were taking him out on run downs because Vance didn't trust him to not fall for the eye candy and overrun the play.

John Wooden had a million sayings, one of his best was "be quick but don't hurry", someone needs to explain that to Simmons he plays ILB like Budda plays safety he comes sprinting up with long strides and the RB just cuts and and Simmons overruns it. He's just out of control all the time. I really don't know what you do a new DC might find a better way to use him but I'm not convinced he's an ILB I think he might be a safety. He is not horrible, but I was really focusing on him tonight and even on the pass plays it's amazing how often he's out of position or overruns the play. The one to Kupp late he missed Kupp twice downfield including when Kupp is literally on one leg because Jalen Thompson is holding the other leg, Simmons still overran him and couldn't help tackle him.

So many things went wrong this year the 2nd half but Simmons to me regressed dramatically. I really hope we fire Kliff so Vance goes too and whoever comes in as DC has a plan that Simmons can execute

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Simmons can’t play the run to save his life so he can’t play ILB

But he also doesn’t have that twitchiness to him cause of his clunky legs so he can’t play Safety

I honestly do not know where you play this guy. He gets ate up on non-vertical routes by above-average TEs.

You can’t just blitz the guy 24/7. “Let him loose!” lmao. Is that what folks mean?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol
That's because he is a really big safety...

I don't know if he's even a safety though as D Vontel said he has real issues changing directions partly because he plays too fast but I think he's just not a flip the hips kind of guy. I honestly think whoever put him on defense and not offense at Clemson did him a big disservice, i think he is a TE or even a big WR. He's so athletic he'll play in the NFL for years and hopefully he'll figure it out but right now he's the guy in basketball who closes so fast on every 3 he either fouls the shooter or gets shot faked and blown by .

And with Collins not even playing it was just a bad look tonight neither one of them on the field

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Simmons can’t play the run to save his life so he can’t play ILB

But he also doesn’t have that twitchiness to him cause of his clunky legs so he can’t play Safety

I honestly do not know where you play this guy. He gets ate up on non-vertical routes by above-average TEs.

You can’t just blitz the guy 24/7. “Let him loose!” lmao. Is that what folks mean?

WOLB in a 4-3 defense. Has responsibilities covering TE, covering backs out of the backfield, and blitzing. He is NOT a 3-4 inside linebacker.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously thinking about moving him to offense….

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We need a new GM, and he needs free reign to correct the roster. Trade Simmons if needed. Trade Collins if needed.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He’s one of the many who seriously regressed this year. Very disheartening

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously thinking about moving him to offense….

I honestly think that's his natural spot is offense but can you swap a 1st round pick from defense to offense?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What if you made him the deep safety?

Give him time to read & close and limit his responsibilities inside the box.

Of course, you’ve just eliminated Thompson’s job, which he was doing really well.

What a catastrophe.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What if you made him the deep safety?

Give him time to read & close and limit his responsibilities inside the box.

Of course, you’ve just eliminated Thompson’s job, which he was doing really well.

What a catastrophe.
And then miss tackles in space, in which he was doing a lot against Dallas.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why do we keep trying to convert high draft picks to inside linebackers? No other team does this, and Keim has tried to do it with his first-round pick 4 out of the last 8 years. Yet we still have Jordan Hicks and Tanner Vallejo stinking up the middle. It's pure madness.

BigCardsFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why do we keep trying to convert high draft picks to inside linebackers? No other team does this, and Keim has tried to do it with his first-round pick 4 out of the last 8 years. Yet we still have Jordan Hicks and Tanner Vallejo stinking up the middle. It's pure madness.
Will be no.5 this year to replace Simmons

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim has been trying to recreate the Dansby-Daryl Washington duo & he has failed every single time.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know if he's even a safety though as D Vontel said he has real issues changing directions partly because he plays too fast but I think he's just not a flip the hips kind of guy. I honestly think whoever put him on defense and not offense at Clemson did him a big disservice, i think he is a TE or even a big WR. He's so athletic he'll play in the NFL for years and hopefully he'll figure it out but right now he's the guy in basketball who closes so fast on every 3 he either fouls the shooter or gets shot faked and blown by .

And with Collins not even playing it was just a bad look tonight neither one of them on the field
Maybe all that is correct, but Simmons doesn't have the hands to play TE or WR. He can't even hold the ints thrown into his hands. BTW, doesn't mean it matters, but he has small hands (9') compared to his size.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d like to see him play in another defense before burning him. He was outstanding in college.
A good amount of players were outstanding in college & failed to live up to the hype in the NFL. Simmons isn’t the first nor the last.

- Can’t play him at ILB in any defense cause he’s an embarrassment in the run game.

- Can’t play him at safety cause of his clunky legs which severely limits his change of direction.

- Can’t play him at EDGE cause he has gotten handled by any OT that lays a hand on him.

- Can’t play him at slot because he’ll just get routed up by any average or above slot WR.

I’ve seen posters talking about “letting him loose”. What the hell does that mean when it comes to him? Blitzing him? Something you obviously can’t do all game?

I would trade him with the quickness. He’s working with too many weaknesses to the point I don’t think Fangio or Zimmer could fix him.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A good amount of players were outstanding in college & failed to live up to the hype in the NFL. Simmons isn’t the first nor the last.

- Can’t play him at ILB in any defense cause he’s an embarrassment in the run game.

- Can’t play him at safety cause of his clunky legs which severely limits his change of direction.

- Can’t play him at EDGE cause he has gotten handled by any OT that lays a hand on him.

- Can’t play him at slot because he’ll just get routed up by any average or above slot WR.

I’ve seen posters talking about “letting him loose”. What the hell does that mean when it comes to him? Blitzing him? Something you obviously can’t do all game?

I would trade him with the quickness. He’s working with too many weaknesses to the point I don’t think Fangio or Zimmer could fix him.

Billy Davis needs one more year, just one...more...year...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose