On Kyler

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another John Wooden, be at your best when your best is needed. Total failure tonight by Kyler, gotta get better. I still think he can but he didn't show it tonight at all and he's got to spend the offseason working on his weaknesses. Learn to climb teh pocket, improve at reading defenses. Get better under center so we can play under center.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He is still hanging onto the ball too long playing "hero ball". He needs to accept that he's not going to get 30 yard chunks every play. Take the check down and move onto the next play.
It's not the part of holding the ball too long as much as not stepping up if you plan to hold the ball that long. Sorry, Kliff did not put a young QB in his first playoffs against a dominant defense in a very good spot with the plays he called today or rather the lack of running plays early on

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We may need to come to the realization that just maybe the height is an actual problem…. Just like numerous times all season long the broadcasters tonight literally showed an underneath route that he should be taking and would likely get a first down. Yet he just doesn’t see it and throws elsewhere. Into coverage or trying for the big play low % It’s been a consistent problem all year long. Even when he was playing very well and hitting the small % throws. But long haul it’s become a big problem.

Last edited:

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyler did hold the ball too long tonight, I don't know if that was by design or what, but it was bad. I wish we could see the receivers while he was in the pocket. I doubt they were open. AJ Green and Kirk both suck. Everybody was saying before the game that this would be an Ertz & Conner game because it was so obvious. The Rams are missing an ILB and safety. They needed to be attacked with quick strikes over the middle. I don't know if Kliff even pays attention to who his opponent is, because nobody else on Earth thought it would be a good idea to run slow developing plays that require time in the pocket when our OL would obviously be dominated. It just makes zero sense at all. Establish the run (FROM UNDER CENTER. Shotgun runs suck ass). Feed Ertz with quick slants over the middle. Take deep shots once you have sucked the defense in. Frustrating.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
We may need to come to the realization that just maybe the height is an actual problem…. Just like numerous times all season long the broadcaster ms tonight literally showed an underneath route that he should be taking and would likely get a first down. Yet he just doesn’t see it and throws elsewhere. I to coverage or trying for the big play low % It’s been a consistent problem all year long. Even when he was playing very well and hitting the small % throws. But long haul it’s become a big problem.
Kyler was terrible. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for just one and only one season playing with actual NFL coaching and actual NFL receivers (sans Hop).

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We may need to come to the realization that just maybe the height is an actual problem…. Just like numerous times all season long the broadcaster ms tonight literally showed an underneath route that he should be taking and would likely get a first down. Yet he just doesn’t see it and throws elsewhere. I to coverage or trying for the big play low % It’s been a consistent problem all year long. Even when he was playing very well and hitting the small % throws. But long haul it’s become a big problem.
I think Kyler has more than enough talent to salvage this rough ending but he needs a guy like Bree who can relate to the height issue and give him help from experience

CardsFan1399

Rookie
Reaction score
No doubt that Kyler is the best QB the Cards have had not named Warner or Palmer. My worry is that he lacks what it takes to be great. He seems to shrink in the face of adversity and doesn’t display the fire to rally the team when things aren’t going well.

I doubt it would happen, but if there is not a major step forward taken in the leadership category, could the club entertain a trade and bring in a haul of 1st round picks?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I like Kliff and I expect he’ll land on his feet, but franchise QB prospects are more rare and valuable than offensive head coach wunderkinds. Kliff likely saved his job for another season and earned himself a nice paid vacation the season after if he wants it.

But people are absolutely fooling themselves thinking that Kliff doesn’t know how to get guys open or rudimentary scheme design. Guys are open—even if the camera isn’t catching them. If Kyler is threading the needle between four (!) rams defenders, SOMEONE(s) is in single coverage or wide open.

Kyler just isn’t a rhythm passer. He likes to wait for guys to get open and that doesn’t happen in the NFL no matter how cognitively gifted you think you are.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We may need to come to the realization that just maybe the height is an actual problem…. Just like numerous times all season long the broadcasters tonight literally showed an underneath route that he should be taking and would likely get a first down. Yet he just doesn’t see it and throws elsewhere. Into coverage or trying for the big play low % It’s been a consistent problem all year long. Even when he was playing very well and hitting the small % throws. But long haul it’s become a big problem.
Height wasn't a problem for Wilson and Brees. What makes it is so Kryptonite for Kyler.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like Kliff and I expect he’ll land on his feet, but franchise QB prospects are more rare and valuable than offensive head coach wunderkinds. Kliff likely saved his job for another season and earned himself a nice paid vacation the season after if he wants it.

But people are absolutely fooling themselves thinking that Kliff doesn’t know how to get guys open or rudimentary scheme design. Guys are open—even if the camera isn’t catching them. If Kyler is threading the needle between four (!) rams defenders, SOMEONE(s) is in single coverage or wide open.

Kyler just isn’t a rhythm passer. He likes to wait for guys to get open and that doesn’t happen in the NFL no matter how cognitively gifted you think you are.
Can't agree with you more, playing with NFL starting caliber WRs and behind NFL starting caliber OLs at Oklahoma against Big12's future home depot staffed defense will make you get into that habit. I observe Kyler throws balls to completely open WRS on only two occasions: 1. the WR is Hopkins; 2. he is running for his life.

BTW, opposing WRs are always wide open against our VJ signature soft zone scheme.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Height wasn't a problem for Wilson and Brees. What makes it is so Kryptonite for Kyler.
Well for one hes shorter then them even if only an inch or 2 inches it makes a dofferemce. He also doesn’t move around in the pocket and slide around to create throwing lanes. He panics spins and runs. It’s been shown repeatedly he’s not seeing open guys. It’s really not even arguable. The guys you talk about step up in the pocket they move within the pocket and don’t panic. They find and take the open guy. Kyler does not. He has also lead the league in batted balls 2 out of 3 years. The difference in the end is he just isn’t as good. Physical limitation could be a part of that.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
He is still hanging onto the ball too long playing "hero ball". He needs to accept that he's not going to get 30 yard chunks every play. Take the check down and move onto the next play.
yup, it's a blessing and a curse to be a QB that can run like he does. I see it with Prescott too, and he's not really a runner, I just think he holds the ball way too long which causes him to miss on so many throws. I like Kyler and think he can be a great NFL QB, but he definitely has to give everything that he has into improving his game. all of the all time greats don't just rely on their abilities, they work around the clock on improving and holding themselves to a count.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just want a pure GM firing. No one else. This would be true progress for the org.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
AJ Green really needs to retire. Couldn’t get his feet down on the pass along the sidelines on our 1st offensive series. A catch there changes the complexion of the game. Then his drop on the 30 brought the ball back to the 3 & the Rams scored on the pick 6. It was still a game until then. D was a huge problem too. Even when we managed to get them to punt, they put the ball inside the 5. Rams had great field position the whole 1st half & we had the ball inside our 10 the whole 1st half.

We also got ran on ALL night & Wilson couldn’t cover OBJ at all. Their TE’s were open with Hicks & Vallejo running 5 yards behind. VJ NEEDS TO BE FIRED for not having our 1st round LB‘s on the field & ready to play. Vallejo!! Really? Yes, Murray did not play well. That much is obvious. He needs WR help in addition to Hop. Without Hop, it’s downright abuse having to throw to Green & Kirk. Our OL IS PATHETIC, and needs to be dismantled. Play calling by KK was bad, but always limited when you spend 80% of the 1st half inside your own 5. Someone should be fired & I think it has to start with VJ. KK will probably keep his job by the skin of his teeth, but he’ll be on a very short leash next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave