Just placed my bet on the Rams...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, I have responded to this multiple times.

#1. There is more than one ref that should be ready to spot the ball in that situation

#2. If it is literally the only persons job to spot the ball who is 5 yards behind the play, he should have been hustling the moment the play was a run.

Officials should never be the highlight at the end of a game and yet here we are again
Kellen Moore appreciates you.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s on Dallas period everyone knows that was a dumb play call with no timeouts or Dak has to get down earlier to KNOW you have time to get it spotted quick and spike it. Stupid play by Dak it’s not the refs job to save the clock for you because your stupid

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Again, I have responded to this multiple times.

#1. There is more than one ref that should be ready to spot the ball in that situation

#2. If it is literally the only persons job to spot the ball who is 5 yards behind the play, he should have been hustling the moment the play was a run.

Officials should never be the highlight at the end of a game and yet here we are again

Your first post seems to indicate that you didn't know the rule.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your first post seems to indicate that you didn't know the rule.
I know the ref has to spot the ball.

I do not believe that the ref trailing the play and not hustling has to run through a set formation to set said ball.

The Dallas bias here is so strong people are ignoring the real point, refs should never be the replay at the end of any playoff game.

It happens every damn year (usually to the Saints) and the NFL has to do better.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do not believe that the ref trailing the play and not hustling has to run through a set formation to set said ball.

The Dallas bias here is so strong people are ignoring the real point, refs should never be the replay at the end of any playoff game.

It happens every damn year (usually to the Saints) and the NFL has to do better.
So, you are all on board with that run?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If the ref doesn't get in the way they spike it for the hail Mary.

I can't believe the ref can just run through the formation and knock the ball off it's spot and it's cool
He was busting his behind trying to get that ball spotted lol. Hell he actually did his job poorly in the cowboys favor for that play.

If he wasn't so worried about not letting the clock run out he would have moved the ball away from where Dak and the center spotted it and put it where Dak began his slide. Ref has absolutely 0 blame in that clock running out.. I would blame Dak for not sliding sooner or for giving the ball to his center instead of running it to the ref.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you are all on board with that run?

No there are a lot of things that could have been done better there to get a similar outcome.

But I have been consistent that my issue is with the refs on that play

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No there are a lot of things that could have been done better there to get a similar outcome.

The play was low reward and high risk.

The players got in the way of ref. Dak ran too far. Just a couple of ways of many chances for what happened (the clock to run out without another play) to happen. For what? A few meaningless yards?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

The trailing ref always sets the ball.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
College yes. NFL doesn't have that. They experimented with it.

Everything I see says that anyone can set the ball. Apparently the XFL has a ref just to spot the ball. Regardless of the opinions on the XFL, that's smart.
Besides that the ref should have been running towards the ball once he saw it was a running play. He was 20 - 30 yards off the ball. But I did enjoy the result.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that was Moore's play call or Dak audibled to it. Either way it was stupidly stupid with 14 sec and no timeouts left.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Besides that the ref should have been running towards the ball once he saw it was a running play. He was 20 - 30 yards off the ball. But I did enjoy the result.
Agreed. Dallas didn’t play it smart, but the ref. huffing & puffing to arrive and spot the ball wasn’t a good look.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Then you’re asking him to run while the play is ongoing. Tough to monitor the field of play effectively if you’re doing that, no?

AZ Native

Reaction score
Then you’re asking him to run while the play is ongoing. Tough to monitor the field of play effectively if you’re doing that, no?
Not really. He can still stay behind the play but be running towards it since it was a running play. Like I said, I enjoyed the result so no complaints here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not really. He can still stay behind the play but be running towards it since it was a running play. Like I said, I enjoyed the result so no complaints here.
Um how can you say “not really” and then literally say “but be running towards it?” Yeah, running towards the play makes it much more difficult to monitor what’s going on.

AZ Native

Reaction score
Um how can you say “not really” and then literally say “but be running towards it?” Yeah, running towards the play makes it much more difficult to monitor what’s going on.
Actually it makes it easier to monitor the play because you are keeping the same distance from the play as opposed to being further away.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Actually it makes it easier to monitor the play because you are keeping the same distance from the play as opposed to being further away.
Well we are going to have to disagree. Running requires an up and down movement which impacts your vision, particularly your ability to concentrate on multiple actions. In no case is running superior to standing still for a back judge in terms of monitoring a play.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the topic on hand, did you Moneyline that bet? The Cards can cover and still lose giving you the double shot

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Why are we even playing the Rams? Week 1 of playoffs should never involve teams from same division. All 3 teams in our division should be given the chance to move on to week 2 if they win. If your division is the toughest all year, there is no reason to have them knock each other out when there are lesser teams getting a chance to move on. Rams should have played Eagles, and Cards the Bucs. Just my opinion in how to set up the playoffs. Ranking the teams is fine, with preference of teams in same division not facing each other in R1. Easy to fix and change.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The play was low reward and high risk.

The players got in the way of ref. Dak ran too far. Just a couple of ways of many chances for what happened (the clock to run out without another play) to happen. For what? A few meaningless yards?
Dak doesn't have the arm to throw 45 yards with an arc into the end zone and that's why they chose to run the ball. Dak gained 15 yards. If Dak slid after 10 yard gian they would have have a shot.

My 2 cents, they should have attempted a hail Mary twice.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dak doesn't have the arm to throw 45 yards with an arc into the end zone and that's why they chose to run the ball. Dak gained 15 yards. If Dak slid after 10 yard gian they would have have a shot.

My 2 cents, they should have attempted a hail Mary twice.
He has to have the worst arm in the NFL. That's embarrassing if true. A whole lot of high school QBs could make that throw.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

this is a known rule. Known by me, by you, by everyone else here, by san francisco,...and by dallas.
their coach ****** up and called a bad play..its as simple as that. he thought he was gonna be slick and steal ten yards with a draw, then spike the ball for a hail mary shot.... the dude calling plays completely forgot/overlooked that the ref has to set the ball.

it is the dallas coaches fault. every other team in the nfl calls plays knowing that rule, and they get out of bounds to stop the clock because too much time runs off while the ref sets the ball.... everyone knows it, has always known it, and accounts for it in their play calling.

hell, how many games have we been trying to drive in for a go ahead...and we ran out of clock because someone didnt get out of bounds?? I have seen it happen a lot.

wanna be mad at an official?? be mad at the guy who blew the mystery whistle, causing the raiders defense to stop playing while the ball was in the air...giving cincy a free TD... that is some major league ******** right there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave