Marvin Lewis for DC

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
If Vance gets a HC job somewhere, which I think he will, I would push hard to get Marvin Lewis as our DC. He was the DC for the Ravens when their D was amazing and he’s got head coaching experience for Kliff to lean on. He’s known as a good teacher, well respected around the league, and his players loved him. Pay whatever he wants and get him in here.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is one of the few cases i would keep Vance Joseph

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marvin Lewis ran a 4-3 base at the Bengals for the last decade.

The only man for the job would Vic Fangio. Plays a similar system to Vance and he's a proven great DC that gets the best out of players.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Marvin Lewis ran a 4-3 base at the Bengals for the last decade.

The only man for the job would Vic Fangio. Plays a similar system to Vance and he's a proven great DC that gets the best out of players.
Do not want a similar "bend but eventually break" defense like VJ's.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's ok then, because it isn't.

FYI, everyone criticizing Vance's scheme looks a bit silly to me. It's a top 10 defense in many areas, especially when at full strength. I don't care if he achieves that by having the defense run around wearing clown masks while singing yankee doodle dandy.

Would you prefer aggressive but breaks frequently?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

FYI, everyone criticizing Vance's scheme looks a bit silly to me. It's a top 10 defense in many areas, especially when at full strength. I don't care if he achieves that by having the defense run around wearing clown masks while singing yankee doodle dandy.

I'd prefer aggressive and effective. I wouldn't mind his passive approach if he showed the slightest flexibility in philosophy. It just doesn't always work, similar to how a hyper-aggressive defensive philosophy doesn't always work and needs flexibility. There are times you MUST get aggressive; he just doesn't call the game that way even when it's needed. Tell me that 3-man pass rush against Russell Wilson on a 3rd and 8 was smart or looked in any way good.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd prefer aggressive and effective. I wouldn't mind his passive approach if he showed the slightest flexibility in philosophy. It just doesn't always work, similar to how a hyper-aggressive defensive philosophy doesn't always work and needs flexibility. There are times you MUST get aggressive; he just doesn't call the game that way even when it's needed. Tell me that 3-man pass rush against Russell Wilson on a 3rd and 8 was smart or looked in any way good.
Wasn't there another one on like a 3rd and 17 or 18 where they completed as well?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Fangio runs an attacking 3-4 scheme. He's a top 3 DC in the NFL.

The only guy I'd want over Fangio would be Todd Bowles, and even then, it's pretty close on who is better.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The only similarity is that they are both 3-4 guys really. Fangio's defense has been called pretty easy to learn from any of the players I've ever seen comment.

VJ's defense is a more complex version of Wade Philips.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My problem with Vance and the defense? It is clear that the inside linebacker position is the hardest one to pick up to the complexity, yet they essentially waste (or maybe redshirt is a better term) the past 2 1st round picks when you NEED 1st rounders to be successful and have an immediate impact. If they aren't going to trust these players to go out there and make plays and live with the rookie mistakes, draft another position and play veterans.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We are one of the highest blitz teams in the league. We are the only team in the league that runs a 0-6-5. They move Jalen, Budda and Simmons all over the place. It's highly flexible.

All this comes from him not playing a tonne of man coverage. Like ALL of it. That's how the league is going. All teams run far more zone than man.

That zone scheme gave us 7th best in air yards per game. Joint 12th in yards per attempt (was top 10 until injuries hit), 25th in passing TDs allowed and 10th best 3rd down conversion rate allowed.

All these would have been higher had we not lost Alford and Wilson.

The defense has been good this year.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I was liking Marvin for the HC job when KK was hired. He did a great job in Cincy while working for the worst owner in the league. His only negative was that he couldn't get a playoff win. But, he was there quite a bit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave