Signings, Trades, Rumors including Suns and NBA

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFTER they had won championships and after they paid everyone for years

We haven’t paid anyone or won anything yet

Sarver doesn’t care about his reputation he cares about the bottom line.
Yeah, as soon as they won a championship. That was my point. Also, I believe things have changed for the league financially primarily due to the Clippers being purchased for that huge sum and the last TV deal.

I agree that Sarver cares mostly about the bottom line, but his bottom line suffered when this team was bad and that's why I think he's willing to take some risks to win it all. For the bottom line. If he does though, he will be like Arison at that point, not like Joe Lacob. If the financial losses mount and we still don't win it all after a year or two, then yeah, we'll likely be left with just the hope that Sarver sells or is forced out.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, as soon as they won a championship. That was my point. Also, I believe things have changed for the league financially primarily due to the Clippers being purchased for that huge sum and the last TV deal.

I agree that Sarver cares mostly about the bottom line, but his bottom line suffered when this team was bad and that's why I think he's willing to take some risks to win it all. For the bottom line. If he does though, he will be like Arison at that point, not like Joe Lacob. If the financial losses mount and we still don't win it all after a year or two, then yeah, we'll likely be left with just the hope that Sarver sells or is forced out.

The Heat paid that money for 5 years. Your acting like they win a championship and broke it up that’s not the case.

Wrong he didn’t lose money when the team was bad he made money. Probably more than he’s making now

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Heat paid that money for 5 years. Your acting like they win a championship and broke it up that’s not the case.

Wrong he didn’t lose money when the team was bad he made money. Probably more than he’s making now
Not until the big TV deal kicked in.

The Heat paid that money for 3 seasons, won a championship and then Arison started cutting corners. It's the reason Lebron started yapping the next year about how much money he was making for the franchise and yet the owner cut role players to save pennies. Eventually it led to him leaving for Cleveland again.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not until the big TV deal kicked in.

The Heat paid that money for 3 seasons, won a championship and then Arison started cutting corners. It's the reason Lebron started yapping the next year about how much money he was making for the franchise and yet the owner cut role players to save pennies. Eventually it led to him leaving for Cleveland again.

Again 5 years.

The window was closed Wade clearly wasn’t what he used to be and neither was Bosh

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again 5 years.

The window was closed Wade clearly wasn’t what he used to be and neither was Bosh
No, not 5 years, you missed the point. I wasn't referring to the breakup of the team, I was talking about what he did after they won their championship in year 3.

They kept the big names together but cut some role playing vets to save a few pennies. Around that same time there was an article detailing how much money Lebron's presence in Miami was worth to the franchise and James felt betrayed by the cuts.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, not 5 years, you missed the point. I wasn't referring to the breakup of the team, I was talking about what he did after they won their championship in year 3.

They kept the big names together but cut some role playing vets to save a few pennies. Around that same time there was an article detailing how much money Lebron's presence in Miami was worth to the franchise and James felt betrayed by the cuts.

Like I said the window was closed Wade was not what he was and neither was Bosh. I would say it was more Riley who made the decision.

Arison writes the checks but make no mistake Riley runs the team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Your avatar is the photo of Domantas Sabonis.

We may have to leave you in Indiana on the 14th. :wave:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have little doubt that if we had Sabonis on our roster, in lieu of Ayton, and everything else was the same, our record would be a game or 2 worse and Suns fans would be pandering for the Suns to acquire an interior presence who doesn't need touches and can defend and rebound... kinda like that Ayton guy.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have little doubt that if we had Sabonis on our roster, in lieu of Ayton, and everything else was the same, our record would be a game or 2 worse and Suns fans would be pandering for the Suns to acquire an interior presence who doesn't need touches and can defend and rebound... kinda like that Ayton guy.
yup

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Will never know but I believe the Suns would be unstoppable.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. Sabonis is better offensively, but overall Ayton is a better fit for the rest of our team.

I have no doubt a straight up trade would make us worse.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s gonna come down to money and I don’t see Sarver paying Ayton the max.

Sabonis only makes 20 a year and he’s locked up for the next 3
I do. He will match the highest max anyone else could offer - he just doesn't want to pay over that amount.

Sarver may be an *****, but he's not stupid. You don't let a good young asset like Ayton walk out the door for nothing.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah. Sabonis is better offensively, but overall Ayton is a better fit for the rest of our team.

I have no doubt a straight up trade would make us worse.

The premise of an Ayton-Sabonis deal is getting the best possible return should the Suns not want to pay him. I don’t think they want to let him go but he is the second #1 pick since Greg Oden to not get an extension after his third season (Anthony Bennett).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do. He will match the highest max anyone else could offer - he just doesn't want to pay over that amount.

Sarver may be an *****, but he's not stupid. You don't let a good young asset like Ayton walk out the door for nothing.

No I think there is plenty of evidence that points to stupid

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The premise of an Ayton-Sabonis deal is getting the best possible return should the Suns not want to pay him. I don’t think they want to let him go but he is the second #1 pick since Greg Oden to not get an extension after his third season (Anthony Bennett).
So you are thinking future? Because getting Sabonis this season doesn't increase our chances for a title IMO if that means subtracting Ayton. I honestly don't give a damn about this type of deal. The only deal I want to see is one to shore up our rotation and help us this season. Not saying we could even pull it off but if the Suns were willing to work with San Antonio (per rumors) they must have a list of assets they are willing to give up.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Add Robert Covington of POR to list of trade rumors out there. Going to keep my eye on Chris Boucher tonight.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are thinking future? Because getting Sabonis this season doesn't increase our chances for a title IMO if that means subtracting Ayton. I honestly don't give a damn about this type of deal. The only deal I want to see is one to shore up our rotation and help us this season. Not saying we could even pull it off but if the Suns were willing to work with San Antonio (per rumors) they must have a list of assets they are willing to give up.
As I recall, the Spurs were supposedly insisting that we include Cam Johnson in a Thad Young deal. If that's true, I'm so glad we passed on it. As it is, I don't see that we have anything we'd be willing to part with that would make them a good trade partner.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That point is not as relevant as many seem to think IMO unless you're point is that like Oden and Bennett, he was out a lot his first 3 seasons. Anyweay, between Covid impacting the league, an injury or two and his drug suspension, he really didn't get the full 3 year test that most highly prized rookie contract players get. Even now, almost halfway through his 4th season he's only played in 203 games total.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I’m thinking future if they are. My point is if they don’t feel comfortable paying him you have to trade him before the deadline (which I don’t expect.) For the record I don’t think he’s a max player regardless of other players of similar caliber getting it last summer. I would prefer the restricted max match to lower the cap hit which is probably their plan.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking future if they are. My point is if they don’t feel comfortable paying him you have to trade him before the deadline (which I don’t expect.) For the record I don’t think he’s a max player regardless of other players of similar caliber getting it last summer. I would prefer the restricted max match to lower the cap hit which is probably their plan.
I don't know what to think of him. He's great and then he's far from it. He's younger than Sabonis and at his best, he's probably already a better all around player than Domantas, but there are far too many nights and far too many stretches within a game where he is one of the least impactful players on the Suns team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That point is not as relevant as many seem to think IMO unless you're point is that like Oden and Bennett, he was out a lot his first 3 seasons. Anyweay, between Covid impacting the league, an injury or two and his drug suspension, he really didn't get the full 3 year test that most highly prized rookie contract players get. Even now, almost halfway through his 4th season he's only played in 203 games total.
Every rookie in his class has had to deal with Covid or an injury or two. Almost none of them got the extra playoff games he did also which makes up for missing 25 games.

This is his FOURTH season in the league. Excuses need to stop.