Kyler and Kliff’s Offseason Mission

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Figure out the two-minute drill.

I don’t honestly know enough about how it works to say that Kyler’s painful orchestration of the two-minute offense is a direct result of his lax attitude toward film study, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Kliff has attacked big projects every offseason during his tenure here; I won’t be surprised if this one is solving the quick game for and with Kyler.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I hope the Kliff & Kyler show can be fixed and improved upon… but I can’t deny the fact that I have a sinking feeling that we are seeing what and who they are. And that maybe they get us into the post season every so often, but a post-season run feels so out of reach.
Hope I’m wrong…

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It’s comically bad. Kinda like watching one of those bad college football teams where they have 50 seconds to score yet only end up getting off three plays and gaining seven yards before clock runs out.

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Kliff has attacked big projects every offseason during his tenure here; I won’t be surprised if this one is solving the quick game for and with Kyler.

Good point. Our red zone offense improved YOY...let's hope he can figure out the 2min.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That and Murray utilizing the pocket, a semi pump fake and a speedy WR will go a long way to soothe concerns.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That bubble screen to Green for a loss of two and keeping the clock running was absolutely mystifying
You mean you aren't supposed to throw virtually unblocked screens to 33-year-old receivers who seem to be losing acceleration by the day with 2 minutes left? It sounds so good on paper.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We reverted to what we were doing before the Cowboy game.
We went away from Kyler under center.
We didn’t move Kyler off the snap trying to depend on his athleticism. At least 4 sacks for double digit losses.
We fail to utilize any crossing patterns and when we do Kyler doesn’t see it or chooses not to throw to them.
When we complete a pass it seems 80 % wr is standing still or running out of bounds.

Yes a lot to learn.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We can't extend KK. We just can't. If he starts the lame duck year well, fine, but otherwise, no way. I understand we won't get rid of him though I feel we should--unless, inexplicably, we go on a playoff run.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We can't extend KK. We just can't. If he starts the lame duck year well, fine, but otherwise, no way. I understand we won't get rid of him though I feel we should--unless, inexplicably, we go on a playoff run.
Sorry man… Earlier this week Keim said Kliff should be Coach of The Year, and that Michael B agreed!

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We reverted to what we were doing before the Cowboy game.
We went away from Kyler under center.
We didn’t move Kyler off the snap trying to depend on his athleticism. At least 4 sacks for double digit losses.
We fail to utilize any crossing patterns and when we do Kyler doesn’t see it or chooses not to throw to them.
When we complete a pass it seems 80 % wr is standing still or running out of bounds.

Yes a lot to learn.
Exactly what I was thinking. Why did we get away from the game plan we used vs. Dallas? Take what the D will give you. We did this our first long drive that ended in a FG. After that it was back to stupid. Like low % passes on third and short. Just don’t get it.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That and Murray utilizing the pocket, a semi pump fake and a speedy WR will go a long way to soothe concerns.
God help us on this. I for sure would like to see it happening. Murray should go live with Wilson this off-season then they can work on it and play video games at the same time.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
My greatest fear is that they assume just doing what they did this year will produce the same results. One of the classic fallacies is presuming the future will simply be an extension of the past. If these two don’t change I wouldn’t be shocked to see 9-8, tons of finger pointing, lots of remorse and the Cards go back to zero and start over. The cards had so many breaks this year, they won’t likely see next year. Both of these guys improved somewhat this year. Going forward improvement gets harder and you have to accept the need for improvement. You also have to accept responsibility for your failures. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Kliff needs to get an OC. Plan and simple.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Figure out the two-minute drill.

I don’t honestly know enough about how it works to say that Kyler’s painful orchestration of the two-minute offense is a direct result of his lax attitude toward film study, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

I think a lot of problems stem from Kyler not being a film grinder. I don't believe he has a great idea of how teams are trying to attack him and therefore struggles to figure out how to counter because he hasn't spent much time on it.

I don't think Kyler understands the importance of diagnosing pre-snap and then confirming post-snap. I think that is why he struggles with timing and rhythm passing. He is almost shocked when things aren't the same.

I also think the clock issues are because he is trying so hard to figure out the defense pre-snap. He just doesn't have the ability to keep track of both consistently. It is the same with the protection calls. There is a reason he doesn't set it.

I also don't know if Kyler understands the nuance of the two minute which would make sense as he is not a nuanced QB. He is so concerned with completing passes that he doesn't factor in the time those completion take or if he should complete them. He doesn't seem to be aware of what calls exploit the 2 min coverages. I also think it highlights that Kyler is helped out by Kliff's play calling as much as Kliff is helped out with Kyler's elusiveness. Kyler does seem to rarely audible and doesn't often progress through his reads.

All in all, yes, I think that Kyler not being a film rat has hindered his progression as a complete QB. In his audibles, 2 min offense and progression reads. And it isn't that he isn't going through film, but he has probably had more meaningful 2 min drills this yera than he did in all of college. And in the NFL you don't have all day in the pocket to wait for your WRs to get wide open.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think a lot of problems stem from Kyler not being a film grinder. I don't believe he has a great idea of how teams are trying to attack him and therefore struggles to figure out how to counter because he hasn't spent much time on it.

I don't think Kyler understands the importance of diagnosing pre-snap and then confirming post-snap. I think that is why he struggles with timing and rhythm passing. He is almost shocked when things aren't the same.

I also think the clock issues are because he is trying so hard to figure out the defense pre-snap. He just doesn't have the ability to keep track of both consistently. It is the same with the protection calls. There is a reason he doesn't set it.

I also don't know if Kyler understands the nuance of the two minute which would make sense as he is not a nuanced QB. He is so concerned with completing passes that he doesn't factor in the time those completion take or if he should complete them. He doesn't seem to be aware of what calls exploit the 2 min coverages. I also think it highlights that Kyler is helped out by Kliff's play calling as much as Kliff is helped out with Kyler's elusiveness. Kyler does seem to rarely audible and doesn't often progress through his reads.

All in all, yes, I think that Kyler not being a film rat has hindered his progression as a complete QB. In his audibles, 2 min offense and progression reads. And it isn't that he isn't going through film, but he has probably had more meaningful 2 min drills this yera than he did in all of college. And in the NFL you don't have all day in the pocket to wait for your WRs to get wide open.
Your last comment is a good one. He likely didn’t have a ton of 2 minute drills in high school either. But still, he’s likely played QB for like 15 years at various levels. The concepts you’re talking about in a two minute drill are kinda common sense type things for anyone who has played football at any position at any level for any minimal length of time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson