How long does rib injuries take to heal?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I had cartilage damage and a cracked rib and it took me 6 weeks to feel better and 8 weeks for it all to heal. But, I didn’t have the NFL Dr. Feel good stuff.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Two types of injuries scare me about both RBs. Intercostals are muscles found between the ribs. Strained intercostals are often too painful to play with. The pain is very much like a broken rib but the area is harder to protect. An actual non-displaced cracked rib is painful and dangerous. Further injury can result in a punctured lung. QBs have been known to play with hairline fractures if they wear a flack jacket and have the ribs taped. It‘s hard to picture a RB doing so. It’s still very painful. The best hope is that the ribs are bruised. If that’s the injury it depends on the pain tolerance of the injured player. All rib injuries seem to heal slowly and are easily aggravated. Might not make it through the whole game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I cracked a rib my sophomore year in college making a tackle (friendly fire). Even with a flak jacket on any hit (any movement really) hurt like hell.