OT: Crazy Playoff Scenario

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve once read a story somewhat similar to this where two European soccer/football teams played to a draw to avoid relegation . At the start, it was known that the loser of the match would be relegated and the winner safe. But once word came in that the result of another match (that ended earlier) meant that a draw would save both squads, the final minutes were filled with opposing players joking and passing the ball to each other until the match ended. I think it changed the rules where all relevant matches would have to start at the same time.

Now, for the NFL, I have considered a scenario where if the Cards would make the playoffs with a win OR tie, and the game goes to OT, you would ABSOLUTELY kneel down at the very end of OT if the opponent was out of timeouts, even if on the goal line going in. Do whatever it takes to get in the playoffs, and wouldn’t even risk a blocked chip shot field goal if you went for the win, when the tie would accomplish the same thing.

I suspect if the Colts lost and the LV/LA game went into OT, you would see very conservative play-calling and both sides trying to run out the clock. Probably would be much more aggressive in regulation however.

Yes
Was Sweden vs Denmark, one of the worst show ever, and Italy was sent at home

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve once read a story somewhat similar to this where two European soccer/football teams played to a draw to avoid relegation. At the start, it was known that the loser of the match would be relegated and the winner safe. But once word came in that the result of another match (that ended earlier) meant that a draw would save both squads, the final minutes were filled with opposing players joking and passing the ball to each other until the match ended. I think it changed the rules where all relevant matches would have to start at the same time.

Now, for the NFL, I have considered a scenario where if the Cards would make the playoffs with a win OR tie, and the game goes to OT, you would ABSOLUTELY kneel down at the very end of OT if the opponent was out of timeouts, even if on the goal line going in. Do whatever it takes to get in the playoffs, and wouldn’t even risk a blocked chip shot field goal if you went for the win, when the tie would accomplish the same thing.

I suspect if the Colts lost and the LV/LA game went into OT, you would see very conservative play-calling and both sides trying to run out the clock. Probably would be much more aggressive in regulation however.
If you want to know something about the probably most outrageous case, that even lead to a rule change, I can recommend you this short video about the so called "Disgrace of Gijón":

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the Niners are to the Rams today, let’s hope the same doesn’t hold for the Hawks mastery of our birds in Glendale.
Seahawks are playing really well with Penny as lead back. Cards chances are not high today.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Speaking of Jax today, how about that Urban Meyer?! What a great coach, err…uh, never mind. ;)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Why would have to kneel? Couldn’t they snap it and stand for 15 minutes four times?
I don't think you can just stand. If the ball's not moving, eventually the refs are going to blow the whistle as the play would be dead. Now they could just do gasers I guess back and forth and take a knee.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't think you can just stand. If the ball's not moving, eventually the refs are going to blow the whistle as the play would be dead. Now they could just do gasers I guess back and forth and take a knee.

How can the refs blow a play dead if the ball is live, in possession and there’s no contact to stop forward progress?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was Austria vs West Germany.

Your answer surprised me. I would have thought Milan residents knew everything about match-fixing.
U wrong and with poor memory
Italy didn't do match fixing in important competitions but north european countries
Instead we paid the price with that garbage

European cup 2004

When u want to throw some crap about a country try to be well documented
Then u identify Milan as a match fixing, we are one of the richest city in Europe and moreover italy has different areas and different mentalities
But for ignorants its a whole thing

Last edited: