Can we stick a fork in Chandler Jones?

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There was mention on local news following the game in Seattle that Colt McCoy saw CJ working on moves during pre-game and went up to him and said, "Quit thinking so much and just get after it!" Wise advice; and just another reason to be glad the Cardinals went after and got McCoy!
This story and theme by the media just irritate me tbh. It's ridiculous. Why can't everyone just take the win and rejoice in great play by our backup QB and an aging Chandler Jones? Why does a narrative and attempted "lore" have to be built around it? The inference that somehow a journeyman backup QB influenced a hall of fame pass rusher with a few wise words in passing is laughable.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope to god we don't throw a truckload of cash at him for multiple years.
Save for a career type game in week one, and factoring in the games he got to play with Watt occupying half the line... He's been way too inconsistent to break the bank.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fork stays in for 2 reasons.

The Seahawks O line is garbage and CJ always plays well vs the Seahawks.

One game doesn't wipe out several stinkers. We can't afford a pass rusher that only turns up vs garbage O lines.

Reaction score
This story and theme by the media just irritate me tbh. It's ridiculous. Why can't everyone just take the win and rejoice in great play by our backup QB and an aging Chandler Jones? Why does a narrative and attempted "lore" have to be built around it? The inference that somehow a journeyman backup QB influenced a hall of fame pass rusher with a few wise words in passing is laughable.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It isn't really. Many defenders have to be reminded to keep things simple so they can play fast. This is especially true in Vance's defense which is arguably more complicated than it needs to be.

Reaction score
It was CJ who himself brought it up in post game comments! So not some media contrived story at all.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, why did Chandler say anything about it then?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
CJ looks heavier to me. Maybe he’s lost that explosiveness because he’s carrying more weight.

He’s still good but his dominance isn’t what it was.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
CJ looks heavier to me. Maybe he’s lost that explosiveness because he’s carrying more weight.

He’s still good but his dominance isn’t what it was.
That goes for a lot of players over 30. I feel like the same argument was made to let Campbell walk.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess who has 9.5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 4 passes defensed, and leads the team with 12 TFLs?
The guy that’s still mostly washed…. And clearly declining. 5 of those sacks in week one. And 2 of the FF in the same week against a broken down injured Taylor Lewan. Way way too long of periods of being completely invisible and against many mediocre tackles. He’s just not a dominant player anymore and not worth the big contract he’s looking for.

BigCardsFan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The guy that’s still mostly washed…. And clearly declining. 5 of those sacks in week one. And 2 of the FF in the same week against a broken down injured Taylor Lewan. Way way too long of periods of being completely invisible and against many mediocre tackles. He’s just not a dominant player anymore and not worth the big contract he’s looking for.
He still commands enough attention to get Markus Slow Poke Golden 11 sacks this year.

I'd still pay Chandler Von Miller money per year if we can get a early exit legit after 1-2 years.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He still commands enough attention to get Markus Slow Poke Golden 11 sacks this year.

I'd still pay Chandler Von Miller money per year if we can get a early exit legit after 1-2 years.
Markus is a good pass rusher and doesn’t need CJ…. Fake news.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
noone fears the unblocked sack master
None fears Chandler anymore ask the mediocre LT for the lions that was asked to block him 1 on 1 and did so with little problems.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None fears Chandler anymore ask the mediocre LT for the lions that was asked to block him 1 on 1 and did so with little problems.
Trent Williams disagrees.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I agree but the fly in the ointment is that he's still a stud and a game changer compared to the 'meh' of average we have up front

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He has been way too inconsistent. Completely irrelevant in most games interspersed with the odd good game. The only great games he has had this year were Titans, Seahawks and Cowboys.

The season isn't over yet though. All will be forgiven if he balls out in the playoffs.