OT: Crazy Playoff Scenario

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It would be awesome to see each team just run to the 1 yard line, kneel 4 times and keep repeating all game. Both teams crush rushing records and make playoffs.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Problem is do you trust the raiders to do it? I mean last possession they drive down for a game winning FG, and boot the chargers out. Or the chargers do it to them for revenge. These teams have never liked each other.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Thinking more about this - I’d imagine that Goodell has already told both teams to not even consider it, but I’d give him the middle finger anyway

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking more about this - I’d imagine that Goodell has already told both teams to not even consider it, but I’d give him the middle finger anyway
Not against the rules that I can tell not much he can do

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Joe Judge would never approve for this unmanly agreement.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they actually did this - they would not both make the playoffs. They would flip a coin or something. It's not like there would be an oponent for both of them.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they actually did this - they would not both make the playoffs. They would flip a coin or something. It's not like there would be an oponent for both of them.
Why wouldn't they? This scenario knocks the Colts out and Chargers/Raiders get in. 3 teams fighting for 2 spots... unless I'm missing something.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its the prisoners dilemma-

so as the HC of either team: you cant play for the tie only to see the other team "break the deal" and win
My understanding of what Proximo is saying is that the league wouldn't allow it to happen for some reason, of that the above scenario wouldn't actually bring both teams into the playoffs. I could be wrong...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My understanding of what Proximo is saying is that the league wouldn't allow it to happen for some reason, of that the above scenario wouldn't actually bring both teams into the playoffs. I could be wrong...
Actually I guess I misunderstood.

I thought it would make 3 teams eligible for the playoffs, but that is not the case. Guess I should read more than the headline.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Actually I guess I misunderstood.

I thought it would make 3 teams eligible for the playoffs, but that is not the case. Guess I should read more than the headline.
kinda either/or with san diego and oakland... but due to tie breakers, if colts get a loss....and they tie...it knocks another team out and both the chargers and raiders get in...

I think they should do it...play kneel down football and settle it in the playoffs

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Irrelevant. Jaguars will not beat the Colts.
I agree. I think the jags will have a tough time with the colts. But in the event the jags beat the colts and the raiders and chargers play to a tie, maybe it would force nfl to rethink ot. Maybe go the same route as college ot’s which are way more exciting..

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Irrelevant. Jaguars will not beat the Colts.
I would tend to agree but you never know. Cards weren't supposed to beat Dallas or lose to Detroit. Anything can happen.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Great idea. But collusion is never a good business move.

At all costs you want to eliminate a division foe from the playoffs.

Nobody knows your team better than division foes.

TheCardinal

Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve once read a story somewhat similar to this where two European soccer/football teams played to a draw to avoid relegation. At the start, it was known that the loser of the match would be relegated and the winner safe. But once word came in that the result of another match (that ended earlier) meant that a draw would save both squads, the final minutes were filled with opposing players joking and passing the ball to each other until the match ended. I think it changed the rules where all relevant matches would have to start at the same time.

Now, for the NFL, I have considered a scenario where if the Cards would make the playoffs with a win OR tie, and the game goes to OT, you would ABSOLUTELY kneel down at the very end of OT if the opponent was out of timeouts, even if on the goal line going in. Do whatever it takes to get in the playoffs, and wouldn’t even risk a blocked chip shot field goal if you went for the win, when the tie would accomplish the same thing.

I suspect if the Colts lost and the LV/LA game went into OT, you would see very conservative play-calling and both sides trying to run out the clock. Probably would be much more aggressive in regulation however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson