OT: Urban Meyer FIRED

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's bad. Rhule & Kliff are still TBD. The only one on that list that had any success really was Harbaugh. Chip Kelly and O'Brien had a winning record but anybody who says their tenure wasn't a train wreck is kidding themselves. The biggest jokes were the biggest name college coaches of all time (Saban, Meyer, Spurrier, Petrino, etc...).
49ers were loaded on talent, especially on defense when Harbaugh came through, being honest. Still was a good NFL HC though.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's bad. Rhule & Kliff are still TBD. The only one on that list that had any success really was Harbaugh. Chip Kelly and O'Brien had a winning record but anybody who says their tenure wasn't a train wreck is kidding themselves. The biggest jokes were the biggest name college coaches of all time (Saban, Meyer, Spurrier, Petrino, etc...).
Again though - what is the comparison?

I can give you bigger jokes that were NFL assistants like Steve Wilks, Rich Kotite etc

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope he gets blackballed from coaching period. His ego will prevent him from taking any small Division II school job which may be only last chance he gets. Timing is great, all major college openings have been filled but no one is going to touch him right now. As for buy out clause, he assaulted a player no matter how hard he kicked Lambo so that should be grounds for breach of contract but I am not a lawyer but there are some on this board.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Again though - what is the comparison?

I can give you bigger jokes that were NFL assistants like Steve Wilks, Rich Kotite etc
I guess it's the probability of failure. I'm talking about these big name college coaches. The probability of them failing seems to be much higher than that of the big name assistants that have a pulse on the NFL team and players.
Most of these big name college coaches come in thinking they can run/coach/treat an NFL team and players in the same manner that they did in college. Their college egos get put in check real fast in the NFL.
I also don't think the NFL assistants you named should have gotten jobs over more qualified assistants. Wilkes should have never got a job before guys like Bieniemy.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I guess it's the probability of failure. I'm talking about these big name college coaches. The probability of them failing seems to be much higher than that of the big name assistants that have a pulse on the NFL team and players.
Most of these big name college coaches come in thinking they can run/coach/treat an NFL team and players in the same manner that they did in college. Their college egos get put in check real fast in the NFL.
I also don't think the NFL assistants you named should have gotten jobs over more qualified assistants. Wilkes should have never got a job before guys like Bieniemy.
Ritchie Kotite got 2 head coaching jobs in the NFL.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ritchie Kotite got 2 head coaching jobs in the NFL.
Kotite was a heinous HC. He's right up there with Marion Campbell of the Falcons. What's comical is that Campbell was hired & fired on 2 separate stints with Falcons. He went 6-19 from 1974-1976, and yet they rehired him again in 1987. In his 2nd stint, he went 11-36.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The day Rodgers gave up a game to get McCarthy fired. Cards were so bad that year he was fired after losing to us at Lambeau.
So not true. He drove them down the field for a wining FG attempt. Now if you think Crosby missed on purpose to get him fired, well that would be some serious conspiracy stuff right there.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
So not true. He drove them down the field for a wining FG attempt. Now if you think Crosby missed on purpose to get him fired, well that would be some serious conspiracy stuff right there.
OK but the bottom line is the Packers lost to the lowly Cardinals and McCarthy was fired immediately

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
All contracts should have some behavioral clauses to protect the team/owner. Ridiculous to make a bad hire, can the guy, and still have to pay them.
conduct detrimental to the team??

seems like that would cover it...looked every bit like this guy was trying to get fired.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Fired for cause, so team has no intention of paying the remainder of the contract. Meyer is going to end up getting paid ~$20M for 11 months of "work" and being a total jackwad. Must be nice!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
the whole family is a train wreck. I've seen first hand Meyer's wife, Shelley, at a local bar trying to pick up/hit on about every young dude that walked in the place. Urban has known that girl in his video for years and Shelley was fully aware of her.

The guy was a good college coach but he's always been a scumbag.

I have numerous stories from guys that are members at Muirfield Country Club, Jack Nicklaus's course and home of the Memorial tournament, where Meyer lives and is a member.

One is, one of the 1st days Meyer walked in like he owned the place and was asking/demanding things. This group of guys, THE BIG BIG MONEY guys in Columbus put him in his place fast. They said(paraphrasing), we're the guys paying your salary, you're nothing in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave